By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony patents 3D Virtual Reality Controller

I read this a few weeks ago,  but this article seems updated:
VR/3D Controller for your Sony PS3

Lately Virtual Reality/3D game control devices have been all the rage. Wii Remote or various VR gloves come to mind.

But while Wii Remote is good at tracking your 3D hand movements, basically that’s it. VR Gloves can capture a wider array of control gestures, but they are very inconvenient to use. Just think of putting them on and off everytime you want to play a game.

What if you could have a device that is as easy to use as Wii Remote, but could capture all you palm, finger and hand movements? Wouldn’t it be cool?

Sony thinks so too and may soon have a 3D PS3 game controller to prove it. At least that’s what their patent application for “Hand-held computer interactive device” describes:

This 3D game controller is designed to be held in your hands, is able to capture all your palm and finger movements and transmit them as commands to your PS3 or Vaio PC. You can pick up and manipulate various objects on screen just by squeezing and relaxing your fingers.

The device is even able to give you a tactile feedback. That is, you will be able to “feel” when you pick up or press something on the screen.

Add to it a few gyroscopes and 3D hand motion detection technology described in previous Sony patents and they may have a perfect 3D game controller for your PS3 soon.

Around the Network

I just want to state that putting on a glove is not hard. Good find, though. I'm just curious how this controller could be successful considering every console doesn't have one. I suppose it'd be good for a certain game and might catch on.

what a joke.

Virtural reality controllers are a fad.

watch just wait. 

(just wanted to get that out of my system)

I think it sounds kind of cool, actually. It sounds a bit Nintendo-esque, though.

I wonder how well it works with different hand sizes and how hard it is to keep all 4 fingers in those grooves.

If this works, it would likely be one of the possible control options for the PS4.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

looks cool...but i think it would be for specific games I hope.

Reminds me of Minority Report when Tom Cruise is manipulating items on a screen with his hand movements.

Seems like every video game generation there's always some "virtual reality" buzz.  I don't expect Sony to ever use this...maybe 10 years from now in some advanced form...patents are good for holding down ideas you think you might use far in the future apparently.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

YfzinJay said:
Reminds me of Minority Report when Tom Cruise is manipulating items on a screen with his hand movements.

Of course bashers will just say this is another Power glove, as the Wiimote was accused of being.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

BenKenobi88 said:
Seems like every video game generation there's always some "virtual reality" buzz.  I don't expect Sony to ever use this...maybe 10 years from now in some advanced form...patents are good for holding down ideas you think you might use far in the future apparently.

haha. Yea, I like some of the Sony Boys now. "O, Wii is ruining gaming!!! Its taking it in completly the WRONG DIRECTION!!!"

Now: " O that seems great. Its gonna REVOLUTIONIZE gaming!! It doesnt even have buttons but its still definitly taking the hardcore gaming in the right direction!!!"

I bet this is the last wii see of this.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.