By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cafe bound to be home to many a port from the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

That's a given multiplatform titles make up the majority of games now days.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
bmmb1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
superchunk said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I stated this in another thread, and I still stand by it. Either these have to be bargain price with the same content, or full price with considerable new content (I mean the loads of stuff the PS2 version of RE4 got, not the sparse stuff Scarface and The Godfather got on the Wii). Otherwise these ports will be selling to people who either got them on the other systems, or wanted them for the Wii itself (don't give me any "just buy it for those systems" line, as the customers are not going to be told what to do).

Your confusing old ports with ports of new and equal games.

What is meant is that when the next big game launches, it will also launch on this new system with at least equal features.

No, you're confusing "port" with "multiplatform".

Also, the audience for those games is long established on those other systems, while years of neglect has left Nintendo consumers too bitter to touch those games if they haven't already got them on those other systems (and there are others on other threads also stating this).

I assume you did notice that it is Kotaku (and some of the other venues quoting Ubisoft) that uses the word "ports", Ubisoft did not use the word port - reading what he said, I believe he was talking about multiplatform games, not ports of old games (though I expect some compilations such as an AC compilation to pop up as well).

Well if they are multplatform games, then exclusive content is still needed in order to make any interest. Simply using the systems as a third multiplafrorm dump will still smack of scraps, just a larger amount of them. That won't just annoy customers aware of this lack of respect, but make the games uninteresting to those not aware.

Has Ubisoft done any exclusive game for any of the other consoles? (I am asking, I don't know the answer). Most of the exclusive content will be provided by Nintendo anyway.  I agree that exclusive content from 3rd parties would be nice. My guess is that whatever the special feature/s of cafe are, at least some multiplatform games will cater to that feature and so in that sense will be exclusive.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Conegamer said:

This is no surprise. Around 50% of all games in the first year of a console's life are ports from the previous generation, or re-makes, as it involves much less time to make, and people are quite happy to buy them again (Resi 4, OoT 3D, even the VC are good examples)

Also, this IS from Ubisoft. With their biggest hit on the system Just Dance, and their primary focus being on lackluster games or shoddy ports as opposed to the good stuff like Assassin's Creed or even more Red Steel, this isn't a surprise.

This MAY work for the first year, but after that, Ubisoft had better made some good exclusive games for the system if they wish to stay afloat next gen.

Actually I am playing Ghost Recon:Shadow Warriors (3DS) and am having an absolutely great time, I love this game. Brings me back in some ways to my x-com days.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
Conegamer said:

This is no surprise. Around 50% of all games in the first year of a console's life are ports from the previous generation, or re-makes, as it involves much less time to make, and people are quite happy to buy them again (Resi 4, OoT 3D, even the VC are good examples)

Also, this IS from Ubisoft. With their biggest hit on the system Just Dance, and their primary focus being on lackluster games or shoddy ports as opposed to the good stuff like Assassin's Creed or even more Red Steel, this isn't a surprise.

This MAY work for the first year, but after that, Ubisoft had better made some good exclusive games for the system if they wish to stay afloat next gen.

Actually I am playing Ghost Recon:Shadow Warriors (3DS) and am having an absolutely great time, I love this game. Brings me back in some ways to my x-com days.

I was talking specifically about the Wii, reference from home console-Home console.

Because Shadow Warriors is fairly epic.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

bmmb1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
bmmb1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
superchunk said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I stated this in another thread, and I still stand by it. Either these have to be bargain price with the same content, or full price with considerable new content (I mean the loads of stuff the PS2 version of RE4 got, not the sparse stuff Scarface and The Godfather got on the Wii). Otherwise these ports will be selling to people who either got them on the other systems, or wanted them for the Wii itself (don't give me any "just buy it for those systems" line, as the customers are not going to be told what to do).

Your confusing old ports with ports of new and equal games.

What is meant is that when the next big game launches, it will also launch on this new system with at least equal features.

No, you're confusing "port" with "multiplatform".

Also, the audience for those games is long established on those other systems, while years of neglect has left Nintendo consumers too bitter to touch those games if they haven't already got them on those other systems (and there are others on other threads also stating this).

I assume you did notice that it is Kotaku (and some of the other venues quoting Ubisoft) that uses the word "ports", Ubisoft did not use the word port - reading what he said, I believe he was talking about multiplatform games, not ports of old games (though I expect some compilations such as an AC compilation to pop up as well).

Well if they are multplatform games, then exclusive content is still needed in order to make any interest. Simply using the systems as a third multiplafrorm dump will still smack of scraps, just a larger amount of them. That won't just annoy customers aware of this lack of respect, but make the games uninteresting to those not aware.

Has Ubisoft done any exclusive game for any of the other consoles? (I am asking, I don't know the answer). Most of the exclusive content will be provided by Nintendo anyway.  I agree that exclusive content from 3rd parties would be nice. My guess is that whatever the special feature/s of cafe are, at least some multiplatform games will cater to that feature and so in that sense will be exclusive.

I should clarify that I mean developers in general. Ubisoft is one of those that gave the Wii a lot more attention than other developers have.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

People like to say we will have to "buy ports again" like everyone has played them. I would be thrilled if the Cafe has even straight ports of certain ps3/360 games, because these are game I haven't played. I've been playing since 1986, but as an adult, there are always games and systems I can't have, can't afford, can't play. Everytime I hear an old game is being ported to a new sysyem, I smile, because it's a chance for those who missed a good game to experience it.

I didn't play Okami on PS2, because I didn't own one. Okami is one of the best games I've ever played, and that's due to a largely "same" port on the Wii. How many people are enjoying the awesome story of Beyond Good and Evil now, who didn't have a gamecube (cause it was purple)? Ports are awesome. I said it.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

RolStoppable said:

Well, at least one thing is for sure regarding Project Café: It won't take third parties long until they figure out a way to send Nintendo's new console into the death spiral.

You know, too many Nintendo fans seem to think third parties hate Nintendo. They don't.

They would like nothing more than another platform to port to. It's just that Nintendo has always screwed over third parties in some way while MS and Sony try to meet their needs.

N64 - cartridge instead of CDs.

GC - small capacity disk and 'kiddy' marketing.

Wii - I don't think Nintendo really planned for Wii to be inline for ports but the architecture made it too much trouble to port to.

If Nintendo gives them a system easy to port to with disks that can hold the games plus attract a userbase for 3rd party games, then there should be no problem between them and 3rd parties next gen.

RolStoppable said:

Well, at least one thing is for sure regarding Project Café: It won't take third parties long until they figure out a way to send Nintendo's new console into the death spiral.

Yep. I have a feeling it's going to be a whole new generation, and still turd party support. 

DixieKong said:
RolStoppable said:

Yep. I have a feeling it's going to be a whole new generation, and still turd party support. 

Well they spend too much money on games to not put as much as possible on the system. The problem is customers don't buy games for how much money or effort is put into them. If it was, then Too Human would have outsold all bout about half a dozen games this generaion.

And having their long awaited third multiplatform pillar will just be undone by even greater development costs, since if they REALLY wanted to take care of their money problems, they would have made the Wii the source system for all their games, and even putting HD graphics and features on the PS3/360 versions wouldn't have cost as much.

And it doesn't matter how much they would have sold on the Wii. The point would be the games would be less costly and therefore more profitable.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

DixieKong said:
RolStoppable said:

Well they spend too much money on games to not put as much as possible on the system. The problem is customers don't buy games for how much money or effort is put into them. If it was, then Too Human would have outsold all bout about half a dozen games this generaion.

And having their long%2