By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cafe bound to be home to many a port from the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

LordTheNightKnight said:

I stated this in another thread, and I still stand by it. Either these have to be bargain price with the same content, or full price with considerable new content (I mean the loads of stuff the PS2 version of RE4 got, not the sparse stuff Scarface and The Godfather got on the Wii). Otherwise these ports will be selling to people who either got them on the other systems, or wanted them for the Wii itself (don't give me any "just buy it for those systems" line, as the customers are not going to be told what to do).

Your confusing old ports with ports of new and equal games.

What is meant is that when the next big game launches, it will also launch on this new system with at least equal features.

Around the Network

I wonder if they'll use this as an opportunity to sell NES-makes of various current HD console only games and sell them in compilations? They could probably easily fit say all 3 Assassins Creeds to date on a single layer Blu Ray.

Tease.

superchunk said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I stated this in another thread, and I still stand by it. Either these have to be bargain price with the same content, or full price with considerable new content (I mean the loads of stuff the PS2 version of RE4 got, not the sparse stuff Scarface and The Godfather got on the Wii). Otherwise these ports will be selling to people who either got them on the other systems, or wanted them for the Wii itself (don't give me any "just buy it for those systems" line, as the customers are not going to be told what to do).

What is meant is that when the next big game launches, it will also launch on this new system with at least equal features.

No, you're confusing "port" with "multiplatform".

Also, the audience for those games is long established on those other systems, while years of neglect has left Nintendo consumers too bitter to touch those games if they haven't already got them on those other systems (and there are others on other threads also stating this).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

not sure how to take this news. It certaintly won't convince ps3/360 users to get a cafe because they can already get the same games on their respective console(s)--it isn't going to offer them anything new.

Of course, you don't normally go out and buy a console to play third party games, and the real incentive to buy a cafe is for the first party games, and its up to Nintendo do their magic in order to get people hyped enough to want to go out and buy their new console. 

I don't like Nintendo's strategy though: wii had Twilight Princess and the 3DS has OOT...that doesn't bode well for cafe. Irrespective I'm firmly in Playstation's camp now because of excellent first party games backed by solid 3rd party support--it will truely take some hand-twisting to get me to buy another console (at least for the new 2 years). 

LordTheNightKnight said:
superchunk said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Also, the audience for those games is long established on those other systems, while years of neglect has left Nintendo consumers too bitter to touch those games if they haven't already got them on those other systems (and there are others on other threads also stating this).

I assume you did notice that it is Kotaku (and some of the other venues quoting Ubisoft) that uses the word "ports", Ubisoft did not use the word port - reading what he said, I believe he was talking about multiplatform games, not ports of old games (though I expect some compilations such as an AC compilation to pop up as well).

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

It's below our specs will preach present Marc Rein, i'm betting. Or at least this will be the one conclusive test to see how deep Epic's distaste for Nintendo platforms reaches.

As for what will occur, we will see. Ubisoft had fun porting old PS2 stuff to Wii early on as well, but dicked them over on original content. Will they do the same again? time will tell in that case as well...

Yes but that was because in order to create games for the Wii they couldn't use the asssets from the HD  versions... Cafe apparently solves that problem and makes a Cafe version of any new HD game a financial no brainer.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
superchunk said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I assume you did notice that it is Kotaku (and some of the other venues quoting Ubisoft) that uses the word "ports", Ubisoft did not use the word port - reading what he said, I believe he was talking about multiplatform games, not ports of old games (though I expect some compilations such as an AC compilation to pop up as well).

Well if they are multplatform games, then exclusive content is still needed in order to make any interest. Simply using the systems as a third multiplafrorm dump will still smack of scraps, just a larger amount of them. That won't just annoy customers aware of this lack of respect, but make the games uninteresting to those not aware.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

omg if this new console are gonna have 3rd party ports even though its superior to nogamebox i mean xbox and playstation 3 then id rather just keep my ps3 and wii for now thank you im only gonna fork out the money if i see a surperior graphical console thats why i got myself a ps3 in the first place instead of buying an xbox at launch nintendo im a big fan but at this moment nty"

This is no surprise. Around 50% of all games in the first year of a console's life are ports from the previous generation, or re-makes, as it involves much less time to make, and people are quite happy to buy them again (Resi 4, OoT 3D, even the VC are good examples)

Also, this IS from Ubisoft. With their biggest hit on the system Just Dance, and their primary focus being on lackluster games or shoddy ports as opposed to the good stuff like Assassin's Creed or even more Red Steel, this isn't a surprise.

This MAY work for the first year, but after that, Ubisoft had better made some good exclusive games for the system if they wish to stay afloat next gen.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

This is no surprise. Around 50% of all games in the first year of a console's life are ports from the previous generation, or re-makes, as it involves much less time to make, and people are quite happy to buy them again (Resi 4, OoT 3D, even the VC are good examples)

Also, this IS from Ubisoft. With their biggest hit on the system Just Dance, and their primary focus being on lackluster games or shoddy ports as opposed to the good stuff like Assassin's Creed or even more Red Steel, this isn't a surprise.

This MAY work for the first year, but after that, Ubisoft had better made some good exclusive games for the system if they wish to stay afloat next gen.

I bring up that RE4 was sold a 3/5 the standard Wii game price, and we don't know how well OoT will sell on the 3DS yet. But the VC also sells well, but again at bargain prices.

So again, older games should be lower price or loads of new content. Leave both out, and the port is not worthwhile (Modern Warfare Reflex was an exception, but it had the backing of strong CoD support on the system).