By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Square Enix Revises Earnings Forecasts For Major Loss

The ports and remakes of old games have not been the problem at all; this is actually where Square Enix has made most of their profits since all of those games sold well. It is their Eidos games and Final Fantasy 14 which ruined them.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
A203D said:
darkknightkryta said:

Last Rebellion and Infinite Undiscovery were only published by Square (Infinite Undiscovery originally to be published by Microsoft).  The 5 year dev time for Final Fantasy XIII is Wada's fault cause after 2.5 years of dev and game development going no where he should have hammered down and be like "This game's getting released next year".  I mean; the game didn't get into full development until a year and a half before its release (Which is pretty much why the game is an incoherent mess).  Same with Final Fantasy 14, I mean people should have realized how bad the game was and it should never have been released, yet he let it release in the messy state it was in.  Yes Wada is a business man and yes it's his fault the company isn't being run properly.  Like I'll cut him some slack his producers and such for games should be managing things better, but it's Wada's job to make sure they're doing their jobs, the entire upper management is a mess right now and that's Wada's job to fix.

How is Wada not running the company well. he's bought out Eidos, he managed to get Arkham Asylum, (although not the sequel) and hes secured relations with Nintendo that have ensured Dragon Quest 9 monumental success in Japan and to some extent a success in the west. he secured a deal with Microsoft for FF13s multiplatform release.

the Tomb Raider reboot, the Deus Ex reboot are the closest SE are ever going to get to the western market, and Wada the CEO - knows how to do these things - because unlike Sakaguchi who was a game designer - Wada wont gamble the company on a CGI movie, he will make calculated decisions on how to run a business - because unlike Sakaguchi, Wada is a trained business man.

Wada allocated resources to the FF14 and FF13 team, and those teams failured miserabily. i mean is it Wada's fault Kitase decided to move development from the PS2 onto the PS3 - then develop a million dollar game engine that has now been scrapped. okay Wada allocated resources - but its not his fault Production Team 1 are shit game designers.

even Nomura has taken what 7 years on FF Versus, Wada has let it slide - can you really blame him for this, FF13 came out with a mixed reception, yet the fans went crazy at Wada - but he had nothing to do with the games design. i have no idea whats going on with upper management - so i can comment in this respect.

Yes he bought Eidos from a company all to willing to sell, SCI was all to get rid of that money sink that was Eidos and Wada bought that money sink, plus Eidos hasn't exactly released anything stellar in years.  Dragon Quest is with Nintendo because the creator says its with Nintendo, nothing more, if the creator wants Dragon Quest 10 on the Zune then it's gonna damn well be on the zune.  He secured a deal with Microsoft?  Or MIcrosoft went to Wada with a truck of cash?   And yes it is Wada's fault that his production teams are in a mess.  Final Fantasy 13's biggest problem is a lack of QA, if they had it the game could have been a lot better than it was, maybe even close to being the best in the series, but there was no QA and that's Wada's fault for it not being there, same with Final Fantasy 14.  Production team one being shit game designers is his fault cause after 3 years nothing getting done, obviously the people in charge weren''t working.  The entire team didn't even know what they were doing with the game, where it was going, how it was supposed to be played, until a year and a half before the game went gold.  That kind of mismanagement goes all the way to the top; Kitase and Toriyama arn't working, move them to another project and get people who do know what they're doing.  And even with their mistakes he's letting them make the sequel, good job there Wada.  Nomura taking 7 years with Final Fantasy versus goes back to Wada wanna know why?  Cause it was Wada who okayed moving most of Final Fantasy versus dev team to work on Final Fantasy XIII. So yes Square Enix's mess is his fault, he's supposed to be running the company a company which isn't run well.

Carl2291 said:
darkknightkryta said:

Last Rebellion and Infinite Undiscovery were only published by Square (Infinite Undiscovery originally to be published by Microsoft).  The 5 year dev time for Final Fantasy XIII is Wada's fault cause after 2.5 years of dev and game development going no where he should have hammered down and be like "This game's getting released next year".

I mean; the game didn't get into full development until a year and a half before its release (Which is pretty much why the game is an incoherent mess).  Same with Final Fantasy 14, I mean people should have realized how bad the game was and it should never have been released, yet he let it release in the messy state it was in.  Yes Wada is a business man and yes it's his fault the company isn't being run properly. 

Like I'll cut him some slack his producers and such for games should be managing things better, but it's Wada's job to make sure they're doing their jobs, the entire upper management is a mess right now and that's Wada's job to fix.

This is pretty much what my reply to him was going to be.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

so 55 million dolar wasted on canceled games... *looks at Mindjack* should be more.. >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Wagram said:
SaviorX said:
MonstaMack said:

The new Final Fantasy online is probably the biggest reason for these losses. They put in a lot of money for it to be a successful game but from everything read It's been a train wreck.

Someone needs to buy them out. *looks at Nintendo*

Nintendo should save their money;Level 5 would be a much more valuable purchase :P

Square Enix will bounce back with the new Batman game in Q4 and DQX next year.

Lol why? What exactly has Level-5 made that is remotely any good besides Rogues Galaxy? WKC was underwhelming, Dark Cloud is piss poor, and PL is well not my cup of tea.

Professor Layton, and they're the driving force behind the glory of Dragon Quest these days. Jeanne D'Arc i wouldn't mind playing if i got my hands on a PSP. Not sure about Ni No Kuni

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
goforgold said:

ok serious question, why is SquareEnix doing so badly???

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/12/canceled-games-cost-square-enix-55-million/

The earthquake in Japan hurt them also.

FFXIV, ugh..

darkknightkryta said:

Yes he bought Eidos from a company all to willing to sell, SCI was all to get rid of that money sink that was Eidos and Wada bought that money sink, plus Eidos hasn't exactly released anything stellar in years.  Dragon Quest is with Nintendo because the creator says its with Nintendo, nothing more, if the creator wants Dragon Quest 10 on the Zune then it's gonna damn well be on the zune.  He secured a deal with Microsoft?  Or MIcrosoft went to Wada with a truck of cash?   And yes it is Wada's fault that his production teams are in a mess.  Final Fantasy 13's biggest problem is a lack of QA, if they had it the game could have been a lot better than it was, maybe even close to being the best in the series, but there was no QA and that's Wada's fault for it not being there, same with Final Fantasy 14.  Production team one being shit game designers is his fault cause after 3 years nothing getting done, obviously the people in charge weren''t working.  The entire team didn't even know what they were doing with the game, where it was going, how it was supposed to be played, until a year and a half before the game went gold.  That kind of mismanagement goes all the way to the top; Kitase and Toriyama arn't working, move them to another project and get people who do know what they're doing.  And even with their mistakes he's letting them make the sequel, good job there Wada.  Nomura taking 7 years with Final Fantasy versus goes back to Wada wanna know why?  Cause it was Wada who okayed moving most of Final Fantasy versus dev team to work on Final Fantasy XIII. So yes Square Enix's mess is his fault, he's supposed to be running the company a company which isn't run well.

And Wada has been the CEO for a decade.  At what span of time does he think SE's mismanagement and financial troubles become Wada's fault?  20 years?  After the company collapses?

Bottom line: either Wada shapes up or ships out.

thismeintiel said:
darkknightkryta said:

And Wada has been the CEO for a decade.  At what span of time does he think SE's mismanagement and financial troubles become Wada's fault?  20 years?  After the company collapses?

Bottom line: either Wada shapes up or ships out.

You are absolutely right, funny thing is Square Enix's quality took a nose dive as soon as Wada took over.  I'm not directly blaming him, but that was around the time Sakaguchi left.  I think that was the biggest problem.  Like Sakaguchi may not have the magic anymore to make his games (I havn't had a chance to play Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon or Last Story.  So I don't know if he still has his magic.) but he was probably the quality control in the company, kinda like what Miyamoto is at Nintendo now.

Mr Khan said:
Wagram said:
SaviorX said:
MonstaMack said:

The new Final Fantasy online is probably the biggest reason for these losses. They put in a lot of money for it to be a successful game but from everything read It's been a train wreck.

Someone needs to buy them out. *looks at Nintendo*

Nintendo should save their money;Level 5 would be a much more valuable purchase :P

Square Enix will bounce back with the new Batman game in Q4 and DQX next year.

Lol why? What exactly has Level-5 made that is remotely any good besides Rogues Galaxy? WKC was underwhelming, Dark Cloud is piss poor, and PL is well not my cup of tea.

Professor Layton, and they're the driving force behind the glory of Dragon Quest these days. Jeanne D'Arc i wouldn't mind playing if i got my hands on a PSP. Not sure about Ni No Kuni

Level 5 does have alot of talent alot more then any of SE studios right now but I think they could benefit from some quality control within their games not even quality controls but just like a proof reader for lack of a better analogy, they always seem to have annoying things in their games that seem like they could be easily fixed

SE needs to shuffle the execs.