By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Detective Work Reveals PSN Servers Up To Date

Bad news = Good marketing.

Sony will aways win... PS3 will sell every week more and more.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Profcrab said:

A poster on a website does brief research that consitutes looking up the version of a the web server operating Sony's webpage and this consitutes any sort of real proof that the servers that were breached were up to date and had the appopriate security?  The information seems just as unreliable.  Excuse me if I don't call the esteemed data security services of deathindustrial.

But you said it right there, the information is just as unreliable, so now you have two unreliable sources and yet some will still say that it's a foregone conclusion that Sony's servers were out of date.  Why trust one unreliable source over another?

I didn't say that I did.  As I said, the results are what is giving Sony the black eye.  How it happened is becoming less and less important every day that PSN is down.

If we are going to talk about how it happened and the post on Beyond3D, then I would say that a poster took a single piece of data and drew more conclusions from that than were warranted.  The level of speculation on his part is pretty high.  Since we do have government agencies involved, it is likely that we are going to recieve a report on how it happened at some point.  But, as i said, how it happened is not as important to the consumers as what the result is.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Doobie_wop said:

This thread will go unnoticed, this piece of info will be ignored by the media (controversy breeds coverage and hits), people will continue to spout untrue or unproven things, Sony should have mentioned this at their press interview (they may have, not sure), every case against them will lead to nothing and this once again seems to be a case of people believing what they want to believe or trying to make up things to just push along their agenda (media, fanboys, hacker supports and whatever).

Why makes you think media would take some posters word over anyone elses?

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

This thread will go unnoticed, this piece of info will be ignored by the media (controversy breeds coverage and hits), people will continue to spout untrue or unproven things, Sony should have mentioned this at their press interview (they may have, not sure), every case against them will lead to nothing and this once again seems to be a case of people believing what they want to believe or trying to make up things to just push along their agenda (media, fanboys, hacker supports and whatever).

When the media takes Facebook posts, Twitter tweets, Neogaf posts, 4Chan posts, Anon posts, anonymous sources (there cousin Larry), Patcher posts and posts from random sources that rarely have any credible history, any relation to the topic at hand and have only been heard about by five people, then I'm sure they could take the well thought out and detailed article from a community writer on a well regarded site and take it as an extra dime added to the already confirmed quote made by Sony on this very topic. 

Now you will disappear like you always do and I will have felt like I've wasted my time typing this. Hate hit and run posters.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

When the media takes Facebook posts, Twitter tweets, Neogaf posts, 4Chan posts, Anon posts, anonymous sources (there cousin Larry), Patcher posts and posts from random sources that rarely have any credible history, any relation to the topic at hand and have only been heard about by five people, then I'm sure they could take the well thought out and detailed article from a community writer on a well regarded site and take it as an extra dime added to the already confirmed quote made by Sony on this very topic. 

Now you will disappear like you always do and I will have felt like I've wasted my time typing this. Hate hit and run posters.

Like i always do? sorry but i have more important things to do than to sit in front of computer all day replying to posters with tin foil hats on their heads.

Around the Network
Profcrab said:

A poster on a website does brief research that consitutes looking up the version of a the web server operating Sony's webpage and this consitutes any sort of real proof that the servers that were breached were up to date and had the appopriate security?  The information seems just as unreliable.  Excuse me if I don't call the esteemed data security services of deathindustrial.

Sony has a black eye over this.  There was a breach and personal data was lost.  That was bad.  The informed customers 6 days after they discovered the breach.  That is worse.  A credit card database was cofirmed stolen.  That is even worse.  To top it off, the online system that went down is still down 18 days later.  BAMM!  That is a black eye that is going to sting for a few years.  Fixing this mess and repairing the damage is going to cost Sony alot of money over the course of those years.

It isn't about wanting to see Sony fall.  When we hear the details of how and why this breach occured, we can discuss the degree to which Sony was negligent before the breach.  The results of the breach, however, are bad enough.  At this point, the hole has been dug and Sony is in it.

no thread rating ? :(

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:
Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

Like i always do? sorry but i have more important things to do than to reply to posters with tin foil hats on their heads.

What? How is anything I've said related to any sort of conspiracy? 

And yes, you always do hit and run posts. You'll be all like 'I agree' or 'PS3 is sucky in this certain way' and then people will respond with reasonable arguments and then you'll disappear. The only person you've ever gotten into a three page argument with was that Osoma guy and it was a childish argument.

You've also just done it again, a reasonable argument is made and you completely ignored it, just like you always do without insulting something or someone.

This off topic anyway, if you've decided that you'd rather carry this on, instead of carrying on the argument that you yourself began by quoting me, then fine, I'm done.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Profcrab said:

Sony has a black eye over this.  There was a breach and personal data was lost.  That was bad.  The informed customers 6 days after they discovered the breach.  That is worse.  A credit card database was cofirmed stolen.  That is even worse.  To top it off, the online system that went down is still down 18 days later.  BAMM!  That is a black eye that is going to sting for a few years.  Fixing this mess and repairing the damage is going to cost Sony alot of money over the course of those years.

It isn't about wanting to see Sony fall.  When we hear the details of how and why this breach occured, we can discuss the degree to which Sony was negligent before the breach.  The results of the breach, however, are bad enough.  At this point, the hole has been dug and Sony is in it.

The article says he checked what software the PSN servers were running. The software was up to date. I highly doubt Sony, or any company for that matter, would update the software on one server and not the others. That would be highly illogical, and supremely lazy. It's just software. A simple download and install is all that is needed.

If going off topic is the only way win yourself argument and make me look like the bad guy then fire ahead becuse im done wastn my time responding to someone who gets upset over little of things.

Nsanity said:
Doobie_wop said:

who is the anyone else though?  This all started because of some logs from an old chat log if I recall correctly.  So why wouldn't the media take the word of a random poster if they take the word of a random guy in a chat log?