By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I don't understand.. why is the PS3 on top now?

spammythesmartone said:

No offense but they aren't trying to make a megahit, it's pretty obvious by their advertisements, if they wanted to create a megahit they would just take one game and advertise it to hell like MS did with halo but they never put all their eggs in one basket, even if one of their games did get a megahit they wouldn't neglict the fans of their other games like everyone else seems to do (including 3rd party publishers) and thats why they are still going strong when everyone is falling off, they are supporting a ton of games which keep getting better (thanks to the hardware) and blu ray and free online don't hurt either, and they are starting to get their 3rd party support back so they are in a hell of a position right now

Now I get it!  You think Sony is like a musician that doesn't want to make it big because that would be selling out.  And that's why they're successful!

Also, I don't know if that makes any sense.  Oh well.  I have to go stand over there.  See ya later!

*stands over there*

Around the Network

ps3 had a 100 off sale going on. so that could be adding to the sales.

d21lewis said:
spammythesmartone said:

No offense but they aren't trying to make a megahit, it's pretty obvious by their advertisements, if they wanted to create a megahit they would just take one game and advertise it to hell like MS did with halo but they never put all their eggs in one basket, even if one of their games did get a megahit they wouldn't neglict the fans of their other games like everyone else seems to do (including 3rd party publishers) and thats why they are still going strong when everyone is falling off, they are supporting a ton of games which keep getting better (thanks to the hardware) and blu ray and free online don't hurt either, and they are starting to get their 3rd party support back so they are in a hell of a position right now

Now I get it!  You think Sony is like a musician that doesn't want to make it big because that would be selling out.  And that's why they're successful!

Also, I don't know if that makes any sense.  Oh well.  I have to go stand over there.  See ya later!

*stands over there*

"Walks up" Your standing in my spot. I got the front row tickets. "eats some more popcorn"

bannedagain said:

ps3 had a 100 off sale going on. so that could be adding to the sales.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1166996p1.html

Whoops! meant to edit the link on.

d21lewis said:
spammythesmartone said:

*stands over there*

Sony spends a lot of money on making games rather than advertising them.

MS spends a lot of money on advertising rather than making them.

Which is why Sony games seldom become as popular as Halo, Gran turismo is the only exception. Uncharted has reached where it is all thanks to its quality. Its probably the only game to do so this gen.

Sony would like it if Sackboy could become as famous as Mario, of course, but that would mean sacrificing their own game library. The budget they put in Sackboy could have been put in something like infamous 2 or Resistance 3, which they did.

And Sony games sell very well, its not like they flop. Uncharted, God of War, LBP, hell even infamous has sold well.

Also remember that Sony has extreme amount of praise from developers when it comes to amount of freedom given. The developers can get away with a lot of stuff working with Sony. Not all developers may like to make the same game over and over and over to make it as popular as Halo or Gran Turismo.

So maybe for their business it might not be the best thing, but that really proves that they may not be after profits as much as people think. They could have easily milked Gran turismo, for eg. How many gran turismo's this gen again? Only 2, one's a demo and another's a full game.

I think another gran turismo might enter and that will be it for this gen.

In comparison MS has made two full Forza games this gen, both well made, of course. But the frequency shows that MS wants it to get as popular as Gran turismo quickly. Something EA is trying to do with CoD.

And the thirds going to come out this year. I think Sony might be trying something similar with Killzone, with two killzone's already out this gen and looks like there might be another killzone, but guerilla has been given enough freedom for a new IP as well, which we know is going to come out.

Around the Network

I don't know if this plays such a big role, but as soon as piracy became available, sales have been picking up. Just wanted to mention that.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

mantlepiecek said:
d21lewis said:
spammythesmartone said:

*stands over there*

Which is why Sony games seldom become as popular as Halo, Gran turismo is the only exception. Uncharted has reached where it is all thanks to its quality. Its probably the only game to do so this gen.

Sony would like it if Sackboy could become as famous as Mario, of course, but that would mean sacrificing their own game library. The budget they put in Sackboy could have been put in something like infamous 2 or Resistance 3, which they did.

And Sony games sell very well, its not like they flop. Uncharted, God of War, LBP, hell even infamous has sold well.

Also remember that Sony has extreme amount of praise from developers when it comes to amount of freedom given. The developers can get away with a lot of stuff working with Sony. Not all developers may like to make the same game over and over and over to make it as popular as Halo or Gran Turismo.

So maybe for their business it might not be the best thing, but that really proves that they may not be after profits as much as people think. They could have easily milked Gran turismo, for eg. How many gran turismo's this gen again? Only 2, one's a demo and another's a full game.

In comparison MS has made two full Forza games this gen, both well made, of course. But the frequency shows that MS wants it to get as popular as Gran turismo quickly. Something EA is trying to do with CoD.

And the thirds going to come out this year. I think Sony might be trying something similar with Killzone, with two killzone's already out this gen and looks like there might be another killzone, but guerilla has been given enough freedom for a new IP as well, which we know is going to come out.

I don't get it.  I totally think the PS1 and PS2 were the best consoles of their gen (owned about 100 games for each!) and I make a post praising the current state of the PS3 and saying how Sony really stepped up this gen and I still end up getting it from all directions?

I was just standing over here trying to pick up this chick and you guys came over and chased her away!

d21lewis said:
spammythesmartone said:

*stands over there*

No you don't get it, halo gets 20 times more advertising then any ps3 exclusive 

Seven pages, and it took this long to mention advertising?

In 2011, Sony has advertised more PS3 games than every other console and handheld combined.

Only gaming console I see on the telly right now.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

d21lewis said:
mantlepiecek said:

I don't get it.  I totally think the PS1 and PS2 were the best consoles of their gen (owned about 100 games for each!) and I make a post praising the current state of the PS3 and saying how Sony really stepped up this gen and I still end up getting it from all directions?

I was just standing over here trying to pick up this chick and you guys came over and chased her away!

Not really attacking you, lol...

btw that chick hates futuruma. Maybe that's why she ran away...