By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which One Is Worse? RROD vs. PSN

Squilliam said:

PSN failure. The PSN failure effects everyone who has a PS3 later in it's life when there are >50M PS3 units sold whereas RROD effected the Xbox 360 earlier and therefore couldn't effect as many people. You also have to remember that the PSN failure effected SOE/PSN and any other Sony online venture.

How exactly does it affect people who only use it as a blu-ray player? Or people who don't play online? Or even people who do not have the time to play right now? (too busy with their exams)

Around the Network

Don't want to go into detailed discussion. But if anyone, even if its just 1 individual gets identity theft or loses money from their credit card this is worse. RROD is a problem with a solution which is 3 years of warranty. Sure if you got a 2006 console today you most likely run through at least 1 already.

If you however like me never used your real adress on PSN (didn't care to, i never use my real adress since i hate commercial) nor credit card. Then RROD of is probably worse, but when my console was sent of to repair it was already back now.

And its not like PS3 is out without other errors, 2 of my friends have had YLOD which resulted in a repurchase and another had his drive crap out on him, but he luckily had warranty. Of course i have heard of more RROD, but all got the console replaced for free.

Well for me, look at it this way:  Actual broken unuseable console vs temporary internet outage.  

While I'm certainly aware that there's the whole credit card and personal info thing going around, some dilligence and intelligence could easily save you from being screwed over.  I'm not trying to nullify or trivialize the issue, but it's not nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to seem. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

naruball said:
Squilliam said:

PSN failure. The PSN failure effects everyone who has a PS3 later in it's life when there are >50M PS3 units sold whereas RROD effected the Xbox 360 earlier and therefore couldn't effect as many people. You also have to remember that the PSN failure effected SOE/PSN and any other Sony online venture.

How exactly does it affect people who only use it as a blu-ray player? Or people who don't play online? Or even people who do not have the time to play right now? (too busy with their exams)

The same way it effects people who never had a console RROD maybe?

Tease.

FinalEvangelion said:
smroadkill15 said:

Not playing online for a few weeks was never that big of a deal, but the whole Sony waited a week to tell everyone that 77 million psn accounts got their information comprised was. Then Sony just figuring out SOE also got hacked the same time PSN was looks pretty damn bad. From a gamers stand point the RROD might look worse, but if you look from the companies standpoint this could possibly be a bigger blow to Sony especially if they get hacked again.      

We have to remember that Microsoft took 1.5 years to say that the failure rate was abnormally high on the 360.  They kept saying it was normal, even when they knew that there were some problems all along (Dean Takahashi has a really good article on that).

From how much it's going to cost the companies, we don't know what it will be for Sony when all said and done.  I'll reserve my judgement on that.

As far as recieving bad / good press, the gaming media tends to be more forgiving toward Microsoft than Nintendo or Sony.

lol, no, no it really doesn't, unless you have some sort of bias towards Sony and Nintendo...but that would never happen...not around here anyway!

I think both are a huge blunder, IF you remove the compromized data, and I'm not sure you can because that is a huge issue, then I think the RROD edges this out because it did take so long to fix, and it made MS a laughing stock and may have cost them many customers, both presant, and future. Otherwise, if you don't remove the comprimized data, hands down Sony loses.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

Around the Network

Actually, I've noticed the same thing about Microsoft:  their PR is top notch.  Even last generation, if you didn't know better you'd think the 360 had more awesome games than PS2 and Gamecube put together, sold more, and was some sort of pariah of videogaming lore.  Everyone I knew thought it was the best damn system ever and it seemed EVERYONE had one.  In reality, it was just that the people who had it were very loud about it.  In fact, I just told a friend of mine about how poorly it sold compared to PS2, and he was amazed at the disparity, since he was convinced tha Xbox won last generation and the PS2 was the little system that could.  

I Don't know how microsoft does it, but they've done a damn good job enforcing brand loyalty and it paid off.  People PAY for XBL though it's not much better than PSN (any time other than now) and straight up inferior to any PC online system, in spite of both PC andPS3 being free to play.  I don't know a whole lot of people going on about how AWESOME the wii is or how the PS3 is the best, but everywhere I go I hear about how Xbox 360 is the best system ever and that everything else is inferior and how the PS3 'just doesn't have any games worth playing'...

I Don't know how they did it, but damn it's impressive how many people have been brainwashed into the Xbox over the years. 

Granted, I see a lot of people championing the Wii and PS3 online, but in person, in the real world where there aren't dedicated Sony boards and Nintendo boards, I only ever EVER hear about the 360.  So yes, it seems the general population and game sites tend to forgive microsoft's blunders with ease while harping on the alternatives endlessly. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

the crapy online for the wii is way worst then both RROD and the PSN fiasco

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Why do people talk about the PSN outage, as if that was the only thing that happened? The bigger issue is the loss of data that can lead to identity theft. Doesn't matter if you don't get a fraudulent $3000 CC bill right now, your info could be out there. An outage would imply that Sony's network couldn't handle the load, their network was shut down because they couldn't secure it against hackers.

And let's not forget about the YLOD. It's very minor compared to the RROD, but I think that YLOD PSN Outage Identity Theft is worse than RROD.

You can't really compare the PSN outage to the bad performance that Live was having in holiday 07 either. People could still play, just not reliably. And it wasn't brought down by hackers, but by too much traffic.

Squilliam said:
naruball said:
Squilliam said:

I never said it affected every Xbox-360 owner. I only commented on (the bolded) your claim that "The PSN failure effects everyone who has a PS3 later in it's life", which is simply not true.

naruball said:
Squilliam said:
naruball said:
Squilliam said:

I never said it affected every Xbox-360 owner. I only commented on (the bolded) your claim that "The PSN failure effects everyone who has a PS3 later in it's life", which is simply not true.

Noone with a PS3 can get on PSN, true or false?

Tease.