By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which One Is Worse? RROD vs. PSN

RROD. Im not stuck with a broken console.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
naruball said:
Squilliam said:
naruball said:
Squilliam said:

PSN failure. The PSN failure effects everyone who has a PS3 later in it's life when there are >50M PS3 units sold whereas RROD effected the Xbox 360 earlier and therefore couldn't effect as many people. You also have to remember that the PSN failure effected SOE/PSN and any other Sony online venture.

How exactly does it affect people who only use it as a blu-ray player? Or people who don't play online? Or even people who do not have the time to play right now? (too busy with their exams)

The same way it effects people who never had a console RROD maybe?

I never said it affected every Xbox-360 owner. I only commented on (the bolded) your claim that "The PSN failure effects everyone who has a PS3 later in it's life", which is simply not true.

Noone with a PS3 can get on PSN, true or false?

To be fair, squilliam, the PSN debacle does affect more users, however the impact of the RROD was much more devastating on the individual, I should think. Having PSN down for half a month (or a month) is not as costly to the individual as having their 360 RROD.

However, I think the opposite is true for game developers and publishers. As i've said before, and as Capcom has recently said publicly, having the PSN down is having a huge affect on developers' income. On top of this, Indie games are under even more pressure as they now have to compete with a tighter schedule once the PSN finally comes back up. This is a horrible, horrible, horrible financial situation for developers.

For the individual, RROD was worse (unless your CC info was stolen and used due to this PSN issue), but for the Industry as a whole, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the PSN downtime is worse by far.

PSN ended in theft of credit card information and possible identity theft. Ergo, PSN "wins".

SW-5120-1900-6153

RROD.

No question at all. Personally I don't use PSN very often. I wouldn't even have noticed the outage if I didn't read about it.

RROD is the biggest reason why I don't want to buy a 360. If I buy electronics I want them to last and if a failure is almost guaranteed (or if I get that impression), then I'm not interested.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

manuel said:

RROD.

No question at all. Personally I don't use PSN very often. I wouldn't even have noticed the outage if I didn't read about it.

RROD is the biggest reason why I don't want to buy a 360. If I buy electronics I want them to last and if a failure is almost guaranteed (or if I get that impression), then I'm not interested.

I bought my 360 in later 08 (I think when the jasper chip came out, or something.. ) and I haven't had a single issue in all my years. The console has really evolved since the beginning, and i'm pretty damn sure that if you bought a 360 now it'd be just as likely to break down as a Wii or PS3. If you do want one, definitely don't let that be the reason to hold you back.

Around the Network
manuel said:

RROD.

RROD is a non issue anymore. The PS3 is just as apt to fail as the 360 after the latest hardware (and even the mainboard revision before the 360 slim).

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

wfz said:
Squilliam said:

Noone with a PS3 can get on PSN, true or false?

To be fair, squilliam, the PSN debacle does affect more users, however the impact of the RROD was much more devastating on the individual, I should think. Having PSN down for half a month (or a month) is not as costly to the individual as having their 360 RROD.

However, I think the opposite is true for game developers and publishers. As i've said before, and as Capcom has recently said publicly, having the PSN down is having a huge affect on developers' income. On top of this, Indie games are under even more pressure as they now have to compete with a tighter schedule once the PSN finally comes back up. This is a horrible, horrible, horrible financial situation for developers.

For the individual, RROD was worse (unless your CC info was stolen and used due to this PSN issue), but for the Industry as a whole, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the PSN downtime is worse by far.

You know it isn't that simple. If your PS3 broke down with YLOD chances are it was out of pocket. If your Xbox 360 broke down with RROD chances are it wasn't out of pocket. Also because the Xbox 360 had horrible failure rates doesn't mean that the early PS3 failure rates were not also pretty horrible, I think >15% in some survey vs 40% is still quite a large number. Beyond this the number of people effected by having their online service down is pretty big, 70% of PS3s are connected to PSN and X number of SOE people can't play their MMOs and PSP owners can't access PSN either. I still think PSN outage is worse.

Tease.

PSN, without a doubt. Stolen information is much worse than a console which will be repaired for free.

Now I am without a card for 2 weeks, thanks sony. I am trying to sell my ps3 and even my ps2 so that I don't own any more of your products.

there both bad as a ps3 and 360 owner my self and since i use my playstation so much more then my xbox cause xbox games are terrible no offence please so i would say psn due to if my xbox got a rrod i wouldn't care cause its useless to me

Pokemanic said:

there both bad as a ps3 and 360 owner my self and since i use my playstation so much more then my xbox cause xbox games are terrible no offence please so i would say psn due to if my xbox got a rrod i wouldn't care cause its useless to me

With your avatar, I believe that no 360 fan will be offended.