By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Busting a Myth: PS3 had no games pre-2009

okay, so this has been a long going joke and myth about the PS3, for as long as i can remember.

but why is it. why does the ps3 get the rap, that it had NO GAMES... especially before the year 2009.

i heard this myth again today by a vgcharter. and i was wondering why people think this.

so i looked up some ps3 exclusives on ign.com, and what i found was surprising. the ps3 had tons of great exlclusives in 2008, 2007, and 2006.

here is a list of games that scored 80 or higher. and im sure im missing several.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Little Big Planet

Resistance: Fall of Man

Ratchet and Clank

Resistance 2

Uncharted: Drakes fortune

Valkria Chronicles

MotorStorm

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

MLB: The show 07

MLB: The Show 08

Warhawk

Gran Turismo 5: prologue

thats seems to be a ton of games for a system that launched in November 2006 in America, and 2007 for Europe.

that averages out to about 6 exclusives per year. and the thing is most of those games are multi-million sellers.

So i was wondering why people thought that the ps3 had no games. it always had tons of games, and thats especially true now and always.

so is that myth busted?

what do you guys think?

Around the Network

It had games just not "z0Mg!!!1111221" games

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

you've got a good point! but i know one thing-Post 2009 its got Loads n loads n loads of great games and IMO easily the better console to own (before i get attacked by spears bullets and stones, the xbox is a fantastic console still but i think PS3 has now took the lead in quality)

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

It was rather for the first year and it stopped around the MGS4 release..

The first it hardly had any games...And if games were exclusive they were most of the time horrible;..

I can still remember the 'hype L.A.I.R/HAZE threads'..

Lostplanet22 said:

It was rather for the first year and it stopped around the MGS4 release..

The first it hardly had any games...And if games were exclusive they were most of the time horrible;..

I can still remember the 'hype L.A.I.R/HAZE threads'..

i remember haze. when i first seen a trailer for it i instantly said that the game looked awful and said on forums that the game will flop massively, i got comments from hypers telling me i dont know what im talking about. Ive never had such satisfaction from the PS3 having a shit exclusive, it was great going back on those forums just to say "told ya mate"

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network

no no no... the announcment of the PS3 losing FF13 as an exclusive was around that time.. no other game mattered back then....  so pre 2009 = PS3 had no games...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It's no use trying to convince those that already believe it and the ones that agree with you either already had a PS3 or bought one soon around that time. I'm on your side and to all the blasphamers , haze was pretty fun on coop lol even though the driving sections were horrendous.

I consider the release of MGS4 the moment when the PS3 started to have games.

OP - You seem to be one of the few people that keep bringing this topic up, this is the second thread you made in two days about PS3 doomed and has no games.

Don't know why you keep bringing it up, but that thread was locked and this one is about to follow.

I can say when working at Gamestop from the time the console came out, till the time it got a library that people actually wanted to enjoy; it was a long wait.  Thats why Sony made the push for more first party games.  I can remember that games were getting pushed back on the system Constantly, and that devs complained it was to hard to develop for, that was why games didn't not come out, or why they were pushed back.

Theres no denying the PS3 had no games, that's how the term came to be used.  I do not remember the term being used so much in 2009, but it was greatly used in 2007 and 2008.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Like others I'll call MGS4's release the turning point.

Before it's release there was only Uncharted (not so big at the time) and maybe Tools of Destruction (PS2 had 4? R&C games so not so special and more of a "kids" game if I may call it that).

I myself got a PS3 a few weeks before GTA IV release. MGS4 released a month later.