By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Morphological Anti-Aliasing refined on Xbox 360- 3x faster than PS3 Cell

d21lewis said:

*pretends to see difference in the pics*

That is so fucking awesome!!  I totally know what you're talking about!

Thank god, thought I was the only one!

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

So 10% or 5% of GPU power could be used to MLAA in 360.

There are any change MLAA to be implemented in 360's PowerPC CPU like Cell/PS3 with no use of GPU power?

The PS3 implementation seems better... maybe because that no game use MLAA on 360.

ethomaz said:

There are any change MLAA to be implemented in 360's PowerPC CPU like Cell/PS3 with no use of GPU power?

The PS3 implementation seems better... maybe because that no game use MLAA on 360.

360s CPu doesn't have as much horsepower as the Cell so its probably best to have MLAA done on the GPU.

And PS3 Cell MLAA solution implementation is slower than the current 360 method so I don't know why you would say its better.

disolitude said:
ethomaz said:

360s CPu doesn't have as much horsepower as the Cell so its probably best to have MLAA done on the GPU.

And PS3 Cell MLAA solution implementation is slower than the current 360 method so I don't know why you would say its better.

It is better because not use GPU power... leaving it only for the graphics.

In 360 you have to downgrade 5-10% of graphics to put the MLAA working... PS3 not... maybe because that the developer aren't using MLAA no 360 (it's not new... the new DevKit has just a performance enhancement for MLAA).

Everything you can put off the GPU and leave it free for graphics seem a better solution for developers.

Dr.Grass said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:

That's nice have you guys seen or played Gears of War 3, the game looks amazing.The details of the buildings and water look good but the lighting is were is really shines.

I'm not too fond of the fact that some tech babble that isn't even close to being proven somehow mixes up a game that stands head and shoulders above anything on that platform.

Kratos is getting angry...

Sorry, I tend to see God of War when people write Gears of War.

Woops.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Less than 1%

ethomaz said:

No, but it's not a trade off, it's using less GPU power than the alternative (MSAA) and 0 of the CPU (which requires approx 70% of the Cell and is 3x slower)

mendozahotness said:
ethomaz said:

Less than 1%

ethomaz said:

No, but it's not a trade off, it's using less GPU power than the alternative (MSAA) and 0 of the CPU (which requires approx 70% of the Cell and is 3x slower)

No it was 10%... now is ~3%.

I still prefer on CPU... waiting to see some game implementing it.

ethomaz said:
disolitude said:
ethomaz said:

It is better because not use GPU power... leaving it only for the graphics.

In 360 you have to downgrade 5-10% of graphics to put the MLAA working... PS3 not... maybe because that the developer aren't using MLAA no 360 (it's not new... the new DevKit has just a performance enhancement for MLAA).

Everything you can put off the GPU and leave it free for graphics seem a better solution for developers.

That isn't true at all. The new DevKits don't have anything to do with MLAA, they only provide 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB, so they can use 512MB for debugging and the compiler, and the other 512MB for the videogame. Before, with the 512MB DevKits, 50 to 70 MB of RAM were used for the compiler, so the developers couldn't use it, and in the practice, the X360 was a ~450MB of RAM console, instead of 512MB of RAM

Here's an interesting read on MLAA from Eurogamer.  Talks about how MLAA is being implemented on ATI cards.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mlaa-360-pc-article

ethomaz said:

No it was 10%... now is ~3%.

Less than 1%

ethomaz said:

I still prefer on CPU...

I don't see why given this is faster, can be used in conjuction with other methods of AA and effectively would free up the cell entirely.