By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is better Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto IV?

Which is better Red Dead Redemption or Grand Theft Auto IV?

Red Dead Redemption 121 75.16%

Grand Theft Auto IV 40 24.84%

Total:161

I've played RDR, and I'm playing GTA 4 now. I had around 16 or 17 hours in RDR before I got the fake ending, and I'm still on story missions after 32 hours in GTA 4. I like GTA 4 much better so far, the characters seem less stale and there's a lot more to do (including watching Republican Space Rangers..).

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Around the Network

RDR...but dont take that as an endorsement of the game...because it isnt. 

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

radiantshadow92 said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:
radiantshadow92 said:
thranx said:
radiantshadow92 said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
radiantshadow92 said:

red dead, but the ending still sucked balls

did you unlock the real ending? because I thought it was great, sad, but great

there is only one ending lol...and after missions which i did complete. It sucked

*spoileralert*

Technically yes, but for me I was at least fooled, I thought I had finished the game, but I did not. i didn't know you get to avenge your fathers death. (Play as Marstons son)

They could have found a better reason for him to die -_-..he died for nothing

*spoileralert*

As far as I'm concerned that was the best way out, the feds wanted him dead and he wasn't going to get out of there alive, why not go out guns ablazing and die like a true cowboy before they got to use his family as bargaining chips. I was touched, sad, angry and that was proabably one of the best endings this generation, slightly overshadowed by MGS4, but definitely epic.

When an ending makes you feel such a combination of emotions, I'd say thats a success, it did what it was meant to do.

*spoileralert*

There was no reason for him to die. He made a deal with the feds to be left alone if he killed his old gang. That was the deal. If the feds wnated him dead, they could have killed him any moment after he finally killed the last gang member (in the mountians). Not wait a few days and then get him, that makes no sense. It just makes no sence for why they would want him dead exactly at that moment. The made a deal, and even if they still wanted him dead they could have done it days earlier. Not wait like a week and then randomly do it. It was dumb and makes no sence.

here is the thread on how to mark spoilers. if you want to.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=117278

OT: red dead redemption is much better than gta4 in my opinion.  gta4 was to realistic with character I couldn't relate too.  were as red dead it was a man trying to save his family, which I could emphazise with and although realistic it was set in a different era, which was interesting to me. there was many more reason I liked rdr and many more reason I disliked gta 4. of course I wouldn't say gta 4 was bad though I still enjoyed it enough to play it through twice.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

brendude13 said:
badgenome said:

Except for not having Brucie Kibbutz, RDR is superior in every single way.

I hated that man with a passion! Don't mention his name again!

Why? He is the best character this generation ever.

radiantshadow92 said:
thranx said:
radiantshadow92 said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
radiantshadow92 said:

red dead, but the ending still sucked balls

did you unlock the real ending? because I thought it was great, sad, but great

there is only one ending lol...and after missions which i did complete. It sucked

*spoileralert*

Technically yes, but for me I was at least fooled, I thought I had finished the game, but I did not. i didn't know you get to avenge your fathers death. (Play as Marstons son)

*spoileralert*

They could have found a better reason for him to die -_-..he died for nothing

* Spoilers *

One of the themes of the game, in line with films like The Wild Bunch or Unforgiven, was the end of the old Wild West and the transition to modern times.  That's why he died the way he did.  It was a bitter end but underlined the sense that he was a relic from another time and that he was killed (in the game literally) by the forces of change representing the new future.

I thought it was a good ending and I was glad - even if like all Rockstar games pretty much all the themes/plot points/missions are "borrowed" from films rather than original - that the game had the guyt to end like that and stick to its underlying themes.  Certainly most developers would have chickened out and allowed John to live.

For John to live would undermine the whole mood and theme established right up front in the openning intro cut scene.

The coda somewhat cheats as it allows players revenge and threatens to undermine the very themes I've mentioned (and John's own death) but it makes sense at the same time so no major damage to the overall narrative was done.

* end spoilers *

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Except for not having Brucie Kibbutz, RDR is superior in every single way.

Quoted for absolute truth.  Although I'd argue the two games are a tie in the "horrible ending" department as well.

As much as i love GTA.....I am sexually aroused by Red Dead. R* really needs to get back to the Vice City days if they wanna save GTA.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985