By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 5 Most Important Nintendo Consoles

theRepublic said:

That is a pretty good list, but I would make a few changes.

5. N64 - Because of Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT.  Those games had a huge influence on the video game industry.

4. DS

3. Wii

2. Game Boy

1. NES

Just realized that I went with your choices in the exact same spots also....  I swear I didn't copy!  Although I was going to put SNES at number 5 but decided N64 deserves it more due making analog and 4 player gaming popular.

Around the Network

I do like the list, but something doesn't sit well with me with the SNES being on the list. Especially above Gameboy and DS. As a console it didn't touch the industry in the same way the other 4 did.

Although, when thinking of what the SNES did with software, it introduced 24-bit pre-rendered sprites, high quality audioto the gaming world. Of course, it can be said that the N64 was technically a larger jump since it was using a 64-bit cpu (which is absolutely insane, it was likely never even used close to its potential due to various bottlenecks; PCs nowadays still use 64-bit CPUs). What was done on the N64 in terms of software revolutionized 3D gaming and genres such as FPS; the legacy and impact of the N64 is much stronger today than that of the SNES. While the SNES did have a considerably better overall software library, it did not have the same number of huge groundbreaking achievements that the N64 had.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sethnintendo said:

Mine would be

1) NES - brought back the home console industry

2) Game Boy - started the Nintendo domination of hand helds

3) Wii - brought back Nintendo to the top of home console, introduced new ways to play

4) DS - insured Nintendo domination of hand helds for the future, introduced new ways to play

5) N64 - making analog controllers and 4 player gaming popular

This list is one I agree with 100%, although for different reasons.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
sethnintendo said:

Mine would be

1) NES - brought back the home console industry

2) Game Boy - started the Nintendo domination of hand helds

3) Wii - brought back Nintendo to the top of home console, introduced new ways to play

4) DS - insured Nintendo domination of hand helds for the future, introduced new ways to play

5) N64 - making analog controllers and 4 player gaming popular

This list is one I agree with 100%, although for different reasons.

agree with you 100% and for the same reason. Don't forget that the list is about the "most important" console... In my top 5 Snes should be there.

kratos3390 said:

Why no game and watch?

lol

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

That is a pretty good list, but I would make a few changes.

5. N64 - Because of Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT.  Those games had a huge influence on the video game industry.

4. DS

3. Wii

2. Game Boy

1. NES

As many others said: quote for the truth!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Doobie_wop said:

SNES and Wii shouldn't be on the list, N64 should be. A consoles importance shouldn't be based around it's sales, it should be based on the influence it has on future generations. 1.Analogue controls, 2. 3D gaming, 3. Player splitscreen, 4. rumble pack, 5. handheld linking and coloured consoles are far more important than any of the things that the SNES or the Wii have brought us.

Oh, please.

1. Those were around during the Arcade days as well.

2. PCs had 3D games far before than that. And by going on the 3D craze, developers forgot that some gamers (read: a lot of gamers) abandoned the N64 because there were only 3D games.

3. There was already 2 players split screen, much earlier, so how is it so different to add 2 players more?

4. ZOMG, gaming will change forever because the control shakes!

5. Still to this day, I haven't seen any big impact because a handheld connects to a console.

The Wii isn't inportant because it introduced something new. In fact, it is important because it shows that there is:

1. much more for gaming to expand.

2. That developers were very stupid to abandon old schools games and just go to  Holywood 3D movie crazy games.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
Doobie_wop said:

SNES and Wii shouldn't be on the list, N64 should be. A consoles importance shouldn't be based around it's sales, it should be based on the influence it has on future generations. 1.Analogue controls, 2. 3D gaming, 3. Player splitscreen, 4. rumble pack, 5. handheld linking and coloured consoles are far more important than any of the things that the SNES or the Wii have brought us.

Oh, please.

2. PCs had 3D games far before than that. And by going on the 3D craze, developers forgot that some gamers (read: a lot of gamers) abandoned the N64 because there were only 3D games.

3. There was already 2 players split screen, much earlier, so how is it so different to add 2 players more?

5. Still to this day, I haven't seen any big impact because a handheld connects to a console.

The Wii isn't inportant because it introduced something new. In fact, it is important because it shows that there is:

2. That developers were very stupid to abandon old schools games and just go to  Holywood 3D movie crazy games.

So either Nintendo are the least innovative console manufacturers because they use pre-existing ideas as their main selling points or they are the most innovative for setting the trend, you gotta choose one man, because you can't say that the N64 was this and that and then tell me the Wii is innovative even though it took it's main ideas directly from the Dreamcast, the arcade and the PS2.

I also think you might not be serious, if so, then just ignore my post.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:
Beuli2 said:
Doobie_wop said:

Oh, please.

So either Nintendo are the least innovative console manufacturers because they use pre-existing ideas as their main selling points or they are the most innovative for setting the trend, you gotta choose one man, because you can't say that the N64 was this and that and then tell me the Wii is innovative even though it took it's main ideas directly from the Dreamcast, the arcade and the PS2.

No, Im pretty serious. It is because Nintendo thinks they have to always do something new in order to impress us is why they come with thinks like the 3DS's 3D, which actually changes nothing. It is because of inovative and creative ideas we get games like Zelda Spirit tracks (which was a poor Zelda) and Metroid OM. Nintendo should stick with the fundamentals of the series and add more content instead of adding new gimicks.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
Doobie_wop said:
Beuli2 said:
Doobie_wop said:

Oh, please.

No, Im pretty serious. It is because Nintendo thinks they have to always do something new in order to impress us is why they come with thinks like the 3DS's 3D, which actually changes nothing. It is because of inovative and creative ideas we get games like Zelda Spirit tracks (which was a poor Zelda) and Metroid OM. Nintendo should stick with the fundamentals of the series and add more content instead of adding new gimicks.

This thread is arguing what the most important Nintendo consoles are, not what you personally like the most. I think the Gamecube is one of the greatest consoles ever, but it definently doesn't deserve to be on a list of importance. 

I also agree with the whole gimmick thing, Nintendo should just stick to making a good product, instead of a wonky product with a cool gimmick, but that isn't necessarily related to the thread.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752