By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 users are you thinking of switching to a Xbox 360?

Pokemanic said:
badgenome said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:

well lads starhawk was just announced and joins the list of exclusive im not dumb enought to miss out on just cause of a stupid PSN downtime that will be back anyways so yah no ps3 swaping to 360 for me thx.

You are kidding yourself if you think PSN is ever coming back.

are you stupid??? i mean really do you think psn will never come back online??? the stupidity in this question would put homer simpson to shame you know what just leave okay?? and when you have grown up' come back with a more accurute question or comeback! :K

Around the Network
Dodece said:

Humans are emotional beings. While most choices in our daily lives are purely rational. When a choice concerns a strong emotional component. The emotion most often trumps any rational arguments for or against something. Few emotions are as strong as fear, paranoia, and anger. These are perhaps the most primitive emotions. They are rooted in the very begining of our brains, and the very core of our psyches. People will make decisions on these emotions alone.

This thread is fairly bogus, because lets be frank about this. People that visit these forums are already biased. They have far too much on the line emotionally at this point. The fear of damaged ego counter balances any dangers that are real or inferred. Simply put you have far too much on the line now to walk away. Further more you probably have too much time and money invested at this point. That said you have two powerful motivators at work the pot committed mentality, and the self validation mentality. You can probably forgive the console of most any sin at this point. 

What we have here is a lot of people making decisions with their gut. People who are emotionally attached that are too afraid to leave even if there is danger or serious harm. People who are afraid, and are trying to get away from what they see as real danger and real harm. Neither side seems to be wrong, and shouldn't necessarily be ragged upon. We all get so far into things that it is just too difficult to get out. We all want to remove things that scare us from our lives. When you no longer feel safe about a product that is supposed to entertain you. That product has no ceased to not only serve its purpose, but has become a source of irritation.

Anyway this thread doesn't prove much at all. People who have their self worth on the line will most often double their resolve. Those who are afraid will most often run away. People that are running away aren't going to run here. So you are not getting a real answer. Just a lot of people reinforcing their own decision. Which means even those staying are not all that secure about what they are doing.

P.S.

The deflection going on in this thread is pretty obvious.  What happened with the 360 over three years ago doesn't really matter right now. Neither does it justify or excuse your decision. Casting blame, or degrading others is the mark of not just a weak argument, but no argument at all. Be better then that, and my commendation to those that made arguments that were highlighting the pros of staying the coarse.

damn, that's a little heavy for this thread don't you think?! You are over-dramatizing this. I mean, I understand that people are emotionally invested in a certain console, and that can help sway their decision to "switch" or "stay the course" as you like to put it, but the posts I read had logical reasoning such as "don't like micorsoft exclusive software catalogue, don't want to pay for online service, enjoy sony's variety of software titles, waiting for sony's upcoming AAA titles, don't trust microsoft's brand".

I mean, the essence of marketing is to touch people's emotions in some form or way, to make them feel safe with a particular brand, or bring out an emotion in someone to make a purchase. We're human man, not a bunch of robots, no one is gonna come along and answer the OPs question with statistical reasoning, regression analysis, and monte carlo simulations, basically every answer in this thread can be summed up as "no, the ps3 makes me happier", and that is a VERY legitamite reason to "stay the course". What the hell more do you want out of a decision made? We are talking about a luxury product, not a necessity, so people buy it because it evokes an emotion, it makes them happy, it entertains them.

How is this thread any more bogus than the surveys made that ask the same question? You are still addressing gamers who have financially and emotionally invested in a console. It's the same thing. You also say "People who are emotionally attached that are too afraid to leave even if there is danger or serious harm. People who are afraid, and are trying to get away from what they see as real danger and real harm." What the hell? Are we talking about an abused spouse here? By using such heavy-handed emotional depictions, you completely remove the gravitas of your own argument. I would compare the emotional investment of an abused spouse who is afraid to leave, to say an xbox gamer who got their 5th RROD and are still willing to go through the pain of getting another one (a very silly comparison, but I am trying to make context out of your words). THEN, there is something interesting to observe in terms of emotional impact on rational decisions. But a PSN outage that may or may not have been previously circumvented is another matter. The PS3 gamers have not been abused by their brand of choice and so are still sticking with it, because again, it makes them happy. Your argument is contextual and does not apply to this specific case. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer the main question of this thread: No, I would not switch to an xbox for the following reasons:

1. I do not solely play online like some of the serious COD gamers. I really enjoy single player games (which i am catching up with now - playing dead space 2 now, fun but not as scary as I had thought it would be)

2. Sony's exclusive games are far more interesting to me, and far more diverse than 360's catalogue, which keeps gaming fatigue from creeping in

3. I like the fact that PSN is free

4. Upcoming killer titles this year and next.

4. I have a stronger brand allegiance with sony in the gaming console arena, as they have yet to fail me since the PS1 days. Also, I feel that Sony targets me as its consumer better than microsoft. The XMB is sleek, adult, and minimilistic, and games are typically more mature. i also cant get my mind around all the extra tid-bits one would have to buy with their xbox like wireless routers, and other nick nacks. I am not sure how many of those things are addressed with the slim,I believe it incorporates in it a lot more than the original xbox, but i just have that feeling that microsoft nickle's and dime's its customers that much more than the competition and they haven't been able to change my perception of that.

5. I'm just happy with my PS3. It's an excellent machine, still holds up today, and has enough tech in it to last a few more years easily.

Does that mean I hate the 360? No. I just don't have enough time to dedicate to gaming to own more than 1 console. There are a few exclusives microsoft has that I am interested in such as alan wake, and possibly the gears series (completed the first 3 halos on friends xbox's and just not interested in any more halo menagerie). But I can barely keep up with what sony is dishing out to me, so i have no need to look elsewhere. I will make a RATIONAL decision, and just be patient. I think those that are jumpping ship might be the ones in which emotions are overtaking rationality as per dodece's comment. Let's just say I am being emotionally rational here. :)

Since I have both consoles I'll answer this question from the perspective of a owner of one HD console :

No. Despite PSN's downtime many of the games I'm looking forward to are coming exclusively for the PS3. If games like Infamous 2 and Uncharted 3 were available for the 360 then I would considering switching.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah nigga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect to see a big boost in PS3 sales in the week of May 22 does anyone here agree with me? My friend thinks it won't affect the sales in any manner. I think if not the hardware sales than the Software sales should go up for games like Killzone 3, LBP2, Portal 2, and MK. If anyone thinks my statement is incorrect please anwser.