By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii is not dead or dying.

Some are declaring the Wii dead or dying. Not only does that ignore the sales are still respectable, it also pretends that solely because the new system is announced, that spells the end for this.

That is flying in the face of current facts, and of gaming history.

Facts are that the new system is not coming out for at least a year. Nintendo cannot afford to just stop trying to support the system. They still need it to sell well, even if just for revenue to pay for the R&D on the next system. Plus they cannot risk losing their base on the Wii and just hope they just stick around until the next system. Even assuming Zelda being delayed forgets that this is the 25th aniverssary for the series, and Nintendo needs a big game to celebrate (as Galaxy 2 and the Collection were for Mario).

History also shows that you do NOT abandon successful systems when a new one comes out. Sales are still there, and gamers still need to be coaxed into buying the next system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Wii was doomed since the day it was rumoured about.

It does not matter if the Wii is selling the same amount of consoles as each of the other two consoles are selling. People will tell you that the Wii is doomed yet the other two are not.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

@ the OP i agree but history shows that Nintendo has never supported 2 consoles at once. The only time i can think of is the original NES/SNES and the NES barely got support when SNES was around (loved the redesign though). However they could always pull a Sony and still support the console long after the newer model comes out and that would make sense (there are still PS2 games released) I for one hope this is the case, but looking at NINTY's history im not really optimistic.

I expect the Wii to stop getting Nintendo published games about 4-6 months after the new system.  Third party companies will probably dump a bunch of crap shovelware games 6-12 months after that.  I see a few good third party games on the horizon.  They should focus on getting DQ, The Last Story, and Xenoblades out in all areas asap.  This would lock up the RPG genre for the Wii this year or following year.   That would at least help slumping Japanese sales.  There is still a decent list of games that will be released for the Wii before all is said and done.

Wii will  become 100% casual, getting all the fitness-related and heavy motion-sensor games like Just Dance, Zumba and etcetera...

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@ the OP i agree but history shows that Nintendo has never supported 2 consoles at once. The only time i can think of is the original NES/SNES and the NES barely got support when SNES was around (loved the redesign though). However they could always pull a Sony and still support the console long after the newer model comes out and that would make sense (there are still PS2 games released) I for one hope this is the case, but looking at NINTY's history im not really optimistic.

The SNES was also sold well after the N64 came out. And the handhelds were all supported when the next came along, because they were all hits.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It's dying and rapidly so. The excitement from the masses for the device is evaporating and it's sales decline is reflecting this.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

dead no. dieng yes.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Depends on how you define "dying". Hugely declining sales don't necessarily imply it's dying. It would be dying if it were selling amounts that were actually pathetic. It's selling pretty decently right now - less than the competition and way less than before, but still decently. If it were selling 20k a week, then it would be dying.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I wouldn't call the current sales decent at all. What are they decent in comparison to, ..the Gamecube? In spite of huge earlier momentum, the most popular video games in the world in its back catalog, it's selling less than the HD consoles when they're not even in their prime themselves any more.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.