By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does PSN problem = Red Ring of death.. in losses for Sony??

Acevil said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Acevil said:
Grimes said:
DestroyraX said:

why are people overreacting to this its only an outage i mean are u gonna sue ur electic company if there is a blackout ?

u wouldnt so let Sony handle this I have 100% faith in them to resolve this problem 

Most definitley if there is negligence or fraud. Remember Enron?

I was about to say the Enron.....just Enron!

how is this case in any way similar to Enron?

His example basically in a nutshell described what Enron did. Not that this case is similar.

But a blackout? how is fraud and negligence have anything to do with a blackout? and Enron straight up mislead their customers, stakeholders etc etc. THis is no where near the same level. not even close.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Acevil said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Acevil said:
Grimes said:
DestroyraX said:

why are people overreacting to this its only an outage i mean are u gonna sue ur electic company if there is a blackout ?

u wouldnt so let Sony handle this I have 100% faith in them to resolve this problem 

Most definitley if there is negligence or fraud. Remember Enron?

I was about to say the Enron.....just Enron!

how is this case in any way similar to Enron?

His example basically in a nutshell described what Enron did. Not that this case is similar.

But a blackout? how is fraud and negligence have anything to do with a blackout? and Enron straight up mislead their customers, stakeholders etc etc. THis is no where near the same level. not even close.

Enron had a huge influence on blackouts in California in 2000(not sure what year). :P

A203D said:

This has to be the biggest disaster in gaming imo, RROD isnt as bad as this. fair enough the system was hacked, but peoples details can now be used for fraud, etc, so this is a lot bigger than that. and this is a PR nightmare, unbelievable on so many levels.

The information collected can serve for phishing scam and then serve for fraud if you answer to the phishing scam. The information collected while it was personal and is not acceptable if Sony were being negligent, isnt very sensitive.

Acevil said:

Enron had a huge influence on blackouts in California in 2000(not sure what year). :P

aaah the artifical shortage situation? that was before the scandal wasn't it? my bad. when I read fraud I just thought of the scandal with their accounts.Didn't know about the blackouts situation and the enron connection.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

BenVTrigger said:
ethomaz said:
Nsanity said:
kingofwale said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Seems like this little malfunction is gonna cost Sony alot of money to fix, not to mention the lawsuites and bad publicity PSN is recieving. I hate to say it but this Reminds me of the red ring of death for 360.....How much did Ms lose because of that little disaster?

TOUGH LUCK SONY, HOPE YOU GET BACK ON YOUR FEET

would you consider leading console sales ytd as something that requires "get back on your feet'?

if that's the case, what is Wii and xbox doing right now? crawling?

PSN is free, now if I had paid fees to access it like the xbox outage during Christmas, i would be mad. However, how mad can you be for something that is giving free??

PS3 aint exactly leading by mile now is it?

This year? Yeap... 600k... or more than 20%.

You are aware that in terms of sales over a year 600k is litteraly nothing right.......

the systems are going to sell more than that in a single week during the holidays.  Sony is very very very far from having this year secured in terms of consoles sales.

Anyways as others have said it really all depends.  Financially I think the RROD will be far worse unless ID theft turns into a big issue and Sony starts facing mad lawsuits.

From a image viewpoint though this has already had a severe impact in the states.  I fully expect PS3 sales to drop in America where the brand is weaker.  Its been getting horrible publicity.

Also EU.

It hit the 6 o'clock news 3 nights in a row.

Around the Network

RROD hurt the image of the 360 massively, I don't see this instance as having that effect on the hardware sales of the PS3 personally (unless it's hacked again within a few months).  The losses might ultimately be similar but the long term damage will be nothing compared to RROD.

the shittiest thing about this whole situation is that I'm gunna hear about this from trolls for years.

Funtime said:
ethomaz said:

No.

Because I hate to spend more money in a new consoles (RROD)... PSN is free after all, no money in trash.

RROD victims didn't spend more money. MS fixed their 360's for free. If people had to pay for their own repairs or replace their 360's with their own coin then MS would have profited from the RROD due to people re-buying their consoles as opposed to losing over a billion dollars which is what actually happened.

You must have not been around  long or not long enough to know that ethomaz uses anything to trash MS. He can usually be found trying to stealth flame anything 360. @ ethomaz.  It's,"Because I would hate to spend more money on new consoles," by the way. If your going to try to slip some flame in there, atleast try to make it sound presentable.

While this is going to cost Sony a lot of money, I doubt it'll be considered as bad as the RROD.  That went on for years and people are still getting it.  Some people I know have had up to 5 360s die on them, to the point that they stopped sending them to MS and just bought a PS3.  With something like a 40% fail rate, the RROD will go down in history as one of the biggest console hardware issues, if not the biggest.

In a year, people will hardly remember Sony went offline.  If only because they'll be playing online games again.  Its kind of hard to overlook the RROD when people are still getting them 6 years after the fact.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Darth Tigris said:
Seihyouken said:
Darth Tigris said:

Overall risk to consumers is FAR greater for this than RRoD.  Possibly replacing a sub-$400 console vs having your identity possibly stolen shouldn't even be a discussion.

Seriously, its a shame how even something like this turns into a fanboy war here.  The weight of this shouldn't be anymore minimized NOW than the weight of RRoD back then.  Both are horrible and neither paints the respective companies in a good light.  Most importantly, both affect customers in a bad way.  

So don't be offended if people jump all over this incident.  It's well deserved.

Well when people such as yourself go around blowing things out of proportion suggesting that it's possible identity theft could be a direct result of the intrusion it's no surprise that people freak out. A name, address, and telephone number don't make an identity. That's facebook biography crap. The only danger people are of having their identities stolen are if they are phished through their mail/phone and tricked into supplying their entire social security number. Needless to say anybody stupid enough to fall for that has no right holding Sony liable. The much more real worry, though equally unlikely problem, is credit card fraud. There's nothing to suggest that the encripted credit card and debit card numbers supplied to Sony had been compromised though Sony can't acertain for certain that they hadn't. Basically there is a 50% chance that not a single person's credit card number was stolen and based on the fact that there don't appear to be a string of reports suggesting that they were, I'm betting they weren't compromised.
But just for argument's sake let's say that credit card information was leaked. I'm not sure about other countries but in America people are protected against fraud on their credit cards and for 30 days after recieving their financial report on debit cards. So even in the unlikely worse case scenerio, it would take a grossly neglegent person to even stand to lose any actual money.

It's crazy how people are making a mountain out of a anthill. Comparing this to the losses Microsoft incurred from the RRoD defect is also silly. That problem cost Microsoft over a billion dollars. Even with the lost revenue from the week without PSN, this situation almost certainly won't cost Sony even a tenth of that.

Ok, I'm just going to say this one thing and then I'll leave you be:  minimizing the potential of this breach of customer information is a sign that you value Sony's reputation more than customers.  Your other posts also show that you are a strong Sony loyalist.  The reality that you cannot step away from that persona and recognize the reality of how dangerous this situation COULD end up being devalues any argument that you put forth.

Just like RRoD, who cares how it affects Microsoft or Sony.  They're multibillion dollar corporations that can take care of themselves.  I'm talking about how it affects CUSTOMERS, who are completely innocent victims, ESPECIALLY in this case.  As someone that knows multiple people that have been affected seriously by credit card information being stolen, it ain't pretty.  Most importantly, as relating to the subject of this thread, it sure is a lot worse than having to replace a console ...

I don't claim not to have bias. Sony is my favorite game developer and system manufacturer. However I don't believe there is anyone who doesn't have bias. It's just a matter of whether you give more weight to your bias than you do to the facts. Nothing I said was untrue. If it seems like I'm minimizing the potential ramifications of the breach then it's probably because so many more people are (falsely) distorting the seriousness of the issue towards the other end of the spectrum. Take a look around. VGChartz is reporting the "possiblity" of the breach costing Sony $24.5 billion based on a completely unrelated estimate of the average loss a company eats per account leak from a security breach institute multiplied by the number of PSN accounts. Then if you bother to go to the institute's website and use their data breach risk calculator and imput all the information regarding Sony's scenario, the institute estimates the actual cost for Sony to be less than $20 million.

$24.5 Billion vs. Less than $20 Million. That's how badly this breach is being blown out of porportion. And comparing to to the RRoD issue or suggesting that this is going to directly lead to a mass of identity thefts isn't helping. I'm not suggesting that Sony shares no part in the blame. The fact remains that this is their system and their security should have been tight enough to prevent this and it wasn't. But the amount of FUD going around regarding this is ridiculous. It needs to be put in perspective.