By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does PSN problem = Red Ring of death.. in losses for Sony??

Nsanity said:
kingofwale said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Seems like this little malfunction is gonna cost Sony alot of money to fix, not to mention the lawsuites and bad publicity PSN is recieving. I hate to say it but this Reminds me of the red ring of death for 360.....How much did Ms lose because of that little disaster?

TOUGH LUCK SONY, HOPE YOU GET BACK ON YOUR FEET

would you consider leading console sales ytd as something that requires "get back on your feet'?

if that's the case, what is Wii and xbox doing right now? crawling?

PSN is free, now if I had paid fees to access it like the xbox outage during Christmas, i would be mad. However, how mad can you be for something that is giving free??

PS3 aint exactly leading by mile now is it?

How many ps3 make a mile, I can't imagine it being more then a couple hundred, so I'd say yes they are 

Around the Network
Xero said:
Funtime said:
ethomaz said:

No.

Because I hate to spend more money in a new consoles (RROD)... PSN is free after all, no money in trash.

RROD victims didn't spend more money. MS fixed their 360's for free. If people had to pay for their own repairs or replace their 360's with their own coin then MS would have profited from the RROD due to people re-buying their consoles as opposed to losing over a billion dollars which is what actually happened.

Most I knew just bought a new console. They believed their warranties had already expired at the time, or simply wanted a new console sooner than later. And shipping it off to Microsoft was unlikely to be a quick resolution. 

As for this, it's unlikely to be that much of an issue. They'll lose a little money for the period afterwards, with around a 5% down, on PSN sales for at least 1-2 months after this is resolved. Insurance will cover pretty much any other financial loss. Even if they WERE found to be negligent... it's unlikely consumers will see all that much success with the lawsuits. It doesn't look like the information lost is going to lead to any financial loss to the individual consumer, so any reporations Sony would need to pay wouldn't be too significant. 

This doesn't compare to a massive hardware failiure, like RROD. With employment, shipping, court cases etc, that type of problem runs up an obsene cost for the company. 

Insurance doesn't cover negligence.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

imaprettyhotguy said:
Nsanity said:
kingofwale said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

Seems like this little malfunction is gonna cost Sony alot of money to fix, not to mention the lawsuites and bad publicity PSN is recieving. I hate to say it but this Reminds me of the red ring of death for 360.....How much did Ms lose because of that little disaster?

would you consider leading console sales ytd as something that requires "get back on your feet'?

PSN is free, now if I had paid fees to access it like the xbox outage during Christmas, i would be mad. However, how mad can you be for something that is giving free??

How many ps3 make a mile, I can't imagine it being more then a couple hundred, so I'd say yes they are 

well actually it would be leading by around 109 miles.

since the new ps3 is 11.42 inches long. so it would take 5,548.16 ps3 to make 1 mile. lol

lol Not even close. I bet the RROD FIASCO is still the cause many potential consumers distrut Microsoft's console to this day (yes, even the new slim one) , specially Europeans who seem to know better....

Only time will tell.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network

Overall risk to consumers is FAR greater for this than RRoD.  Possibly replacing a sub-$400 console vs having your identity possibly stolen shouldn't even be a discussion.

Seriously, its a shame how even something like this turns into a fanboy war here.  The weight of this shouldn't be anymore minimized NOW than the weight of RRoD back then.  Both are horrible and neither paints the respective companies in a good light.  Most importantly, both affect customers in a bad way.  

So don't be offended if people jump all over this incident.  It's well deserved.

osamanobama said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Nsanity said:
kingofwale said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

well actually it would be leading by around 109 miles.

since the new ps3 is 11.42 inches long. so it would take 5,548.16 ps3 to make 1 mile. lol

How long is that compared to the 360 and wii, if they are longer it might be leading by less or more if they are shorter 

Darth Tigris said:

Overall risk to consumers is FAR greater for this than RRoD.  Possibly replacing a sub-$400 console vs having your identity possibly stolen shouldn't even be a discussion.

Seriously, its a shame how even something like this turns into a fanboy war here.  The weight of this shouldn't be anymore minimized NOW than the weight of RRoD back then.  Both are horrible and neither paints the respective companies in a good light.  Most importantly, both affect customers in a bad way.  

So don't be offended if people jump all over this incident.  It's well deserved.

Not really since nothing more then what people put on facebook was taken...

Darth Tigris said:

Well when people such as yourself go around blowing things out of proportion suggesting that it's possible identity theft could be a direct result of the intrusion it's no surprise that people freak out. A name, address, and telephone number don't make an identity. That's facebook biography crap. The only danger people are of having their identities stolen are if they are phished through their mail/phone and tricked into supplying their entire social security number. Needless to say anybody stupid enough to fall for that has no right holding Sony liable. The much more real worry, though equally unlikely problem, is credit card fraud. There's nothing to suggest that the encripted credit card and debit card numbers supplied to Sony had been compromised though Sony can't acertain for certain that they hadn't. Basically there is a 50% chance that not a single person's credit card number was stolen and based on the fact that there don't appear to be a string of reports suggesting that they were, I'm betting they weren't compromised.
But just for argument's sake let's say that credit card information was leaked. I'm not sure about other countries but in America people are protected against fraud on their credit cards and for 30 days after recieving their financial report on debit cards. So even in the unlikely worse case scenerio, it would take a grossly neglegent person to even stand to lose any actual money.

It's crazy how people are making a mountain out of a anthill. Comparing this to the losses Microsoft incurred from the RRoD defect is also silly. That problem cost Microsoft over a billion dollars. Even with the lost revenue from the week without PSN, this situation almost certainly won't cost Sony even a tenth of that.

when Sony start paying we'll know until then filed under moar overblown fucking FUD in the ever so massive overblown fucking FUD file