By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hack could cost Sony $318 per account!?

walkerj said:

Of course this isn't true! God I don't know why people bothr with these stupid proedictions. The average cost of a data breach was 318 dollars. Per BREACH not per USER. Most breaches like this don't cost anyone money. The credit company tends to swallow individual claims. Ex. Someone steals your card and buys something from newegg.com. You complain to the credit company, they reemberse you and usually issue a new card. Newegg has your money, but the credit company pays you back.  And this only applies to the people who are actually victims of credit theft, which currently ammounts to 0 people. The biggest cost for Sony will be PR and how ever many millions they are paying this private security firm.  

There is no user to breach ratio that can be applied here. Imagine most security breached include a hundred people. Now imagine the cost of the break is $31,800. That is 318 dollars per person. Now imagine the breach involves 1500 people. The cost is still going to be $31,800 to fix the problem. The price of fixing broken security doesn't magically increase based on user accounts.

If K-mart is compromised and 100 peoples info goes out there it costs them the same as if 1,000 peoples info gets out there. They don't absorb the cost of reimbersement, and Sony definitely doesn't. This stuff was obtained from a hacked PS3 with a custom firmware and a hackers program.

Unless security firm Alpha charges 23 billion per review, then this report is absolute trash.

I was thinking about that, but I'm pretty sure this is technically 77 million malicious acts, because you are doing it to 77 million accounts, just like if you murdered 3 people, you would be tried for 3 acts of murder, not 1 (probably a dumb analogy, but it makes sense to me.)

Don't get me wrong though, I have serious doubts this will cost Sony even $1 billion.  Actually, I find it hard to believe it will cost them anything even close to that much, even if all lost revenue is seen as a cost.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network

One thing ive found amazing about all this is when sony announced they had 70million accounts everyone poo pooed it as multiple accounts, sock puppet accounts and so on, but now psn has been hacked its suddenlly up to 75 million accounts in some reports and seemingly every account has a credit or debit card attached to it. 

So i call reports like this one utter bollox just people looking to scare monger with the absolute worst possible scenario and in a lot of cases actually impossible scenarios cos there stats there basing there guestimations on just arent true.

walkerj said:

Of course this isn't true! God I don't know why people bothr with these stupid proedictions. The average cost of a data breach was 318 dollars. Per BREACH not per USER. Most breaches like this don't cost anyone money. The credit company tends to swallow individual claims. Ex. Someone steals your card and buys something from newegg.com. You complain to the credit company, they reemberse you and usually issue a new card. Newegg has your money, but the credit company pays you back.  And this only applies to the people who are actually victims of credit theft, which currently ammounts to 0 people. The biggest cost for Sony will be PR and how ever many millions they are paying this private security firm.  

There is no user to breach ratio that can be applied here. Imagine most security breached include a hundred people. Now imagine the cost of the break is $31,800. That is 318 dollars per person. Now imagine the breach involves 1500 people. The cost is still going to be $31,800 to fix the problem. The price of fixing broken security doesn't magically increase based on user accounts.

If K-mart is compromised and 100 peoples info goes out there it costs them the same as if 1,000 peoples info gets out there. They don't absorb the cost of reimbersement, and Sony definitely doesn't. This stuff was obtained from a hacked PS3 with a custom firmware and a hackers program.

Unless security firm Alpha charges 23 billion per review, then this report is absolute trash.

the costs do increase by number of people.  to fix a server that deals with 10 computers is going to be a lot easier than one that deals with 70 million computers worldwide

and then there is the lawsuit.  the courst will look and say this affected 70 million people.  sony can't prove whats a fake or not fake account.   and a lawsuit affecting 10 people versus 70 million will be very different in the fine. 

then there is the psn game sales loss.  psn has been down for what a week.  how many games do you think could have been sold in that time?  those are missed sales.  Again number invovled.  You have potentialy 70 million buyers unable to buy versus only 10 unable to buy.  obviously 70 million would be a higher loss of sales.

in all three of those situations, the amount is more expensive or the loss of revenue is more the more people involved.  Thus why the costs are so high.  You guys have to quit thinking in pure "oh hey here you go technicion, thanks for fixing the ps3, heres your 23 billion check"

Lol I love that murder thing.

Well, since you murdered them all with one bomb it only counts as one crime. Good analogy though.

The fact is there haven't been any malicious attacks yet..noone even knows what the hacker got, they only know its possible .

Baalzamon said:
walkerj said:

I was thinking about that, but I'm pretty sure this is technically 77 million malicious acts, because you are doing it to 77 million accounts, just like if you murdered 3 people, you would be tried for 3 acts of murder, not 1 (probably a dumb analogy, but it makes sense to me.)

Don't get me wrong though, I have serious doubts this will cost Sony even $1 billion.  Actually, I find it hard to believe it will cost them anything even close to that much, even if all lost revenue is seen as a cost.

thats my point.  in court sony will be held accountable for 77 million malicious acts.  they aren't going to be able to prove if one is real or not. 

and i wouldn't be surprised if they are close to a billion now already.  How much you think they have spent fixign it so far?  how much have they lost in psn sales, how much has their stock gone down in the past week?

Around the Network

I was being sarcastic, but securing a server for 100 peoples isn't ten times the price of securing a server that supports 10 poeple. It's not realistic. Obviously a widespread problem costs more to fix, but it isn't relative to user accounts.

irstupid said:

thats not how legal action works.  one person would win and n oone else would be able to sue.  you can't be sued over the same thing twice.

and you are also missing what these costs include.  thse numbers are mostly guestimates of missing revenue or lost sales.  I mean during this down time, sony could have missed out on getting a few billion in psn sales.  meanwhile they are incuring a few billion more in costs.  Thus what would have been a 3 billion revenue, turns into a 0 billion revenue and 3 billion expense.  a 6 billion dollars cost overall.   and lets not forget stock.  these also estimate a loss in stock value.

is sony going to have to fork oer 23 billion dolalrs?  hell no. 

No, that's not how legal action works. Each individual is allowed to sue for damages to them. You're thinking double jeopardy I think, which is criminal law (you cannot be tried for the same crime twice, but criminal and civil law are very different).

Though most likely something with this many people affected would lead to a class action suit.

Xenostar said:

One thing ive found amazing about all this is when sony announced they had 70million accounts everyone poo pooed it as multiple accounts, sock puppet accounts and so on, but now psn has been hacked its suddenlly up to 75 million accounts in some reports and seemingly every account has a credit or debit card attached to it. 

So i call reports like this one utter bollox just people looking to scare monger with the absolute worst possible scenario and in a lot of cases actually impossible scenarios cos there stats there basing there guestimations on just arent true.

What are you talking about, Seece who everyone thinks is one of the biggest MS fans on site(Sorry Seece just stating what people think of you), and I already stated that the account number is lower, but the costs will still be significant to harm the organization maybe not 22 billion, but somewhere in the billions. 

However the situation that has happened with sony was a worse case scenario, it just happens to be getting much worse, as the days go on. To act like a situation like this is impossible, is really damage control on sony fans.

Regardless, the news has already harmed share prices, which does mean that some people have indeed lost money and sony has to deal with those shareholders. 

walkerj said:

PER MALICIOUS ACT. Downloading a file with three passwords isn't three malicious acts. By this math Sony will be out $318 dollars. Oh wait, these numbers are total bullshit so this topic should be closed

Yay an intelligent person, lets be friends 

Well if shit hits the fan and Sony really does have to pay, well, that would be the end of everything sony related.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia