By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What people blaming Geohotz and the "hackers" seem to be missing...

imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
rocketpig said:

Is that this security breach was a server-side flaw. "Hacking" a PS3 shouldn't give anyone access to critical PSN information any more than hacking a computer or install of Firefox would give you access to Amazon's customer database.

The tools to defend against this type of attack have been available for years. I can build a secure e-commerce store in a matter of hours and get it locked down to prevent this type of information breach using off-the-shelf software. Why can't Sony do the same on their PROPRIETARY system?

No matter whether you think Sony was in the right over the Geohotz fiasco, they royally screwed the pooch on this one.

And that is no one's fault but their own. They deserve every bit of bad press they're going to get over this.

Can you do it on a massive amount of worldwide servers that were built half a decade ago? Didn't think so, and I'm pretty sure whoever got into psn could easily get past whatever defences you can make 

This has been called "The biggest theft of personal information in history."

So the... "It's just what happens" arguement looks kinda silly.

By who, there isn't even one confirmed case of a hacker actually bothering to write down someones info, just because they could have gotten acess to it doesn't mean they looked at it and when mastercard and visa and all those got hacked a hell of alot more damage is done, people are blowing this out of preportion so far the only thing that has happend is psn being down, thats it 

Yes.  Clearly they specifically hacked into what holds the credit card numbers and didn't "write anything down."

Because that's what you would do.  With a  pencil.  You wouldn't say.... copy the entire database or anything.

As for "By who" this is where reading is your friend.  I've already provided this lin k for you once in another thread, and you skipped over.

Who's saying it?   Experts.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/26/6539290-why-the-playstation-network-breach-is-scary

also

http://smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/M9Q6N3X2

They didn't get into the credit card thing though 

A) Says who... not sony.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/PlayStation-Credit-Card-Breach-120779564.html

B) So... you didn't read? 

C) http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9468000/9468943.stm

There is no way to spin this man... stop trying... I mean, basically every article you can find on it now mentions how amazingly bad it was.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
rocketpig said:

Is that this security breach was a server-side flaw. "Hacking" a PS3 shouldn't give anyone access to critical PSN information any more than hacking a computer or install of Firefox would give you access to Amazon's customer database.

The tools to defend against this type of attack have been available for years. I can build a secure e-commerce store in a matter of hours and get it locked down to prevent this type of information breach using off-the-shelf software. Why can't Sony do the same on their PROPRIETARY system?

No matter whether you think Sony was in the right over the Geohotz fiasco, they royally screwed the pooch on this one.

And that is no one's fault but their own. They deserve every bit of bad press they're going to get over this.

Can you do it on a massive amount of worldwide servers that were built half a decade ago? Didn't think so, and I'm pretty sure whoever got into psn could easily get past whatever defences you can make 

This has been called "The biggest theft of personal information in history."

So the... "It's just what happens" arguement looks kinda silly.

By who, there isn't even one confirmed case of a hacker actually bothering to write down someones info, just because they could have gotten acess to it doesn't mean they looked at it and when mastercard and visa and all those got hacked a hell of alot more damage is done, people are blowing this out of preportion so far the only thing that has happend is psn being down, thats it 

Yes.  Clearly they specifically hacked into what holds the credit card numbers and didn't "write anything down."

Because that's what you would do.  With a  pencil.  You wouldn't say.... copy the entire database or anything.

As for "By who" this is where reading is your friend.  I've already provided this lin k for you once in another thread, and you skipped over.

Who's saying it?   Experts.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/26/6539290-why-the-playstation-network-breach-is-scary

also

http://smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/M9Q6N3X2

They didn't get into the credit card thing though 

A) Says who... not sony.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/PlayStation-Credit-Card-Breach-120779564.html

B) So... you didn't read? 

C) http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9468000/9468943.stm

There is no way to spin this man... stop trying... I mean, basically every article you can find on it now mentions how amazingly bad it was.

You really have to stop reading journalism spins on things, Sony said they have no evidence of the hackers getting into the CC information but they aren't ruling that out, and journalism spins it into them admitting they may so it's a probably when it's a probably not 

imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

A

You really have to stop reading journalism spins on things, Sony said they have no evidence of the hackers getting into the CC information but they aren't ruling that out, and journalism spins it into them admitting they may so it's a probably when it's a probably not 

Hm, s o you still haven't read the whole "biggest data loss ever" thing.  Which isn't actually related to the credit cards thing.

Though yes, lets not listen to the journalists, and the security experts, and the analysts... oh and sony themselves.

You've got the mind of a conspiracy theorist.

Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

A

Hm, s o you still haven't read the whole "biggest data loss ever" thing.  Which isn't actually related to the credit cards thing.

Though yes, lets not listen to the journalists, and the security experts, and the analysts... oh and sony themselves.

Yes I have it's pure bull, it's making like 20 assumptions and jumping to a conclusion that has an outside chance at best at being what happenened when in reality it's just the one that will get more ratings, they go for shock value over accuracy everytime and you take it at face value, and again if they did get the info why aren't there dozens of people screaming about phising scams sent to their door, lost CC and identity theift, there is no proof that a hacker is in possention of any of those just that they had the ability to acess it there isn't even proof that they did...

Well I had two unauthorized charges to my credit card yesterday...by my wife...........

Grrrr...She's costing me more than any hacker ever will...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

A

You've got to admit it, nothing beats journalism when it comes to quality information.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have the sudden urge to go brush my teeth...

Ail said:

Well I had two unauthorized charges to my credit card yesterday...by my wife...........

Grrrr...She's costing me more than any hacker ever will...

Yeah thats a bigger problem right there, LOL

imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

A

Yes I have it's pure bull, it's making like 20 assumptions and jumping to a conclusion that has an outside chance at best at being what happenened when in reality it's just the one that will get more ratings, they go for shock value over accuracy everytime and you take it at face value, and again if they did get the info why aren't there dozens of people screaming about phising scams sent to their door, lost CC and identity theift, there is no proof that a hacker is in possention of any of those just that they had the ability to acess it there isn't even proof that they did...

Again, you are totally missing the point that it's probably the biggest information leak ever, just based on what Sony has already admitted has been stolen.

According to the experts.

Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

A

Again, you are totally missing the point that it's probably the biggest information leak ever, just based on what Sony has already admitted has been stolen.

No it has an outside chance to possibly be the biggest leak ever according to experts after making several assumptions most of which will probably turn out to be false 

imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

No it has an outside chance to possibly be the biggest leak ever according to experts after making several assumptions most of which will probably turn out to be false 

So you weren't reading.  This conversation has gone like 6 posts more then needed.