By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What people blaming Geohotz and the "hackers" seem to be missing...

M0RZINGER said:

seems to be far less embarrasing than Xbox RROD

OT: Why do fanboys feel the need to create threads to bash their competitors? Do u feel personally affected by the well being of your console of choice? 

As Hatmoza said "You hate Sony, we get it."

No it doesn't.
This is exponentially worse.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
pitzy272 said:
badgenome said:
Jdevil3 said:

To think this all started with some Custom Firmware...

Who would've thought CFW would result into PSN data being compromised? :P

Who would've thought that Sony would go to war against hackers without taking measures against being hacked?

(Anyone who is familiar with Sony, of course.)

Badgenome, I've never figured it out...do you like Sony or hate them? lol

What he likes is one liners.

And god bless him for that.

If I couldn't count on Badgenome's epic one liners, I probably would have stopped posting here a long time ago.

fps_d0minat0r said:
vlad321 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
vlad321 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Acevil said:
rocketpig said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

WOW.....just f***ing WOW.

its everyones fault except the hackers.

people need to stop being delusional....im out of here before i go crazy reading this crap.

Of course it's the hackers' fault. They took the data.

It's also Sony's fault for not stopping them.

When building an online system, one has to go in with the mindset that every person on the planet is going to try to exploit it. Sony obviously failed to keep that in mind.

Rocketpig, you can try to argue with people all you want, but you are talking to bunch of individuals that believes sony as an organization does no wrong. 

EDIT: intentionally does no wrong.

its the intentions that matter. its not like they left the keys outside the doors like in someones failed analogy.

Intentoin don't men absolutely jack shit. The end result is that Sony was not careful, now millions of people's information could be compromised.

Furthermore, I see that you are unable to follow a simple analogy so I will spell it out for you. Sony assumed that the PS3 will not be hacked and based its security system around that assumption. In this case the keys are hacked PS3s, the paper box is the PS3 security, and the door is the access to the PSN servers. THe only reason I made a mistake in my analogy is that I forgot to mention that inside my door, millions of people trusted me with their information and they assumed the door will not be broken into.

millions of people also trust the bank wont be robbed....they still get robbed. is it the banks fault?

Do you know what FDIC is? If you do do you know how it works? Given that, do you realize what the hassle is to the consumer? Now compare those "problems" to the problems you run into when your information is leaked and what do you get?

If you have answered all of the questions up to this point correctly, you will realize why your bank analogy is yet another failure.

your the failure, why wouldnt you blame the one carrying out the criminal offense and instead blame the victim of the crime?

sony did have security and in hindsight we know its not good enough but this should be worrying for all those companies with security systems easier to hack than sony's (but are not being hacked because they are afraid of hackers).

in a war with hackers, this was bound to happen but it will be worth it in the end. you keep supporting the people who cheat online, pirate games, kill the indsutry and take down PSN while i support sony who unlike other companies do not chicken out and fight for what is right.

anyways i hope to see you again on the thread about the hackers being in prison and no charges being filed against sony. at that point you will see how far from the truth you were and that i was really only mentioning the obvious.

Ah, the universal "no you're wrong" argument, eventhough even that is mis-spelled to have an enitrely different meaning, that even 2 year olds have mastered. I am glad to see this is what you have resorted to. I am also assuming you have no damn idea what the hell the FDIC even does, otherwise you would have built up a nice argument against it.

FInally, laws =/= morals.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

fps_d0minat0r said:
Squilliam said:

If you can't bring yourself to say that Sony has and is acting extremely retarded on security between PS3 hacking and this there is something seriously wrong with you. I personally think it would be difficult for doctors to truely work out the cause but im sure a nice padded room and a lot of meds will sort it out.

hindsight makes even a monkey clever.

It's probably harder to spot an intrusion when some self-claimed defenders of the masses are hitting you with a ddos attack at the same time........

PSn has been under pressure earklier because of anonymous and that probbaly didn't help...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

It's amazing by the way the number of people on this site that seem to know how the hack was done....Were you guys on it ?

As amazing as the number of headline news this site has had over the last week, speculating on the reason of the PSN downtime ( my favorite was the article quoting chess420 claiming PSn was down because people had found a way to get free downloads of PSN store...)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
rocketpig said:

Is that this security breach was a server-side flaw. "Hacking" a PS3 shouldn't give anyone access to critical PSN information any more than hacking a computer or install of Firefox would give you access to Amazon's customer database.

The tools to defend against this type of attack have been available for years. I can build a secure e-commerce store in a matter of hours and get it locked down to prevent this type of information breach using off-the-shelf software. Why can't Sony do the same on their PROPRIETARY system?

No matter whether you think Sony was in the right over the Geohotz fiasco, they royally screwed the pooch on this one.

And that is no one's fault but their own. They deserve every bit of bad press they're going to get over this.

Can you do it on a massive amount of worldwide servers that were built half a decade ago? Didn't think so, and I'm pretty sure whoever got into psn could easily get past whatever defences you can make 

This has been called "The biggest theft of personal information in history."

So the... "It's just what happens" arguement looks kinda silly.

By who, there isn't even one confirmed case of a hacker actually bothering to write down someones info, just because they could have gotten acess to it doesn't mean they looked at it and when mastercard and visa and all those got hacked a hell of alot more damage is done, people are blowing this out of preportion so far the only thing that has happend is psn being down, thats it 

imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
rocketpig said:

Is that this security breach was a server-side flaw. "Hacking" a PS3 shouldn't give anyone access to critical PSN information any more than hacking a computer or install of Firefox would give you access to Amazon's customer database.

The tools to defend against this type of attack have been available for years. I can build a secure e-commerce store in a matter of hours and get it locked down to prevent this type of information breach using off-the-shelf software. Why can't Sony do the same on their PROPRIETARY system?

No matter whether you think Sony was in the right over the Geohotz fiasco, they royally screwed the pooch on this one.

And that is no one's fault but their own. They deserve every bit of bad press they're going to get over this.

Can you do it on a massive amount of worldwide servers that were built half a decade ago? Didn't think so, and I'm pretty sure whoever got into psn could easily get past whatever defences you can make 

By who, there isn't even one confirmed case of a hacker actually bothering to write down someones info, just because they could have gotten acess to it doesn't mean they looked at it and when mastercard and visa and all those got hacked a hell of alot more damage is done, people are blowing this out of preportion so far the only thing that has happend is psn being down, thats it 

Yes.  Clearly they specifically hacked into what holds the credit card numbers and didn't "write anything down."

Because that's what you would do.  With a  pencil.  You wouldn't say.... copy the entire database or anything.

As for "By who" this is where reading is your friend.  I've already provided this lin k for you once in another thread, and you skipped over.

Who's saying it?   Experts.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/26/6539290-why-the-playstation-network-breach-is-scary

also

http://smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/M9Q6N3X2

rocketpig said:
hatmoza said:

You hate Sony, we get it.

Yep, that's why the only console sitting in my living room right now is a Playstation 3.

^ burn!

OT. like any other console, PS3 can have major problems too.

Before I get labeled PS3 hater, I love my PS3 too, just like rocketpig ;)

the meltdowns regarding this have been the best EVER.....of all fucking time, I've never seen so much FUD in my entire life, expected from half of you for obvious reasons but the other half......just laughably sad XD

Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
Kasz216 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
rocketpig said:

Yes.  Clearly they specifically hacked into what holds the credit card numbers and didn't "write anything down."

Because that's what you would do.  With a  pencil.  You wouldn't say.... copy the entire database or anything.

As for "By who" this is where reading is your friend.  I've already provided this lin k for you once in another thread, and you skipped over.

Who's saying it?   Experts.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/26/6539290-why-the-playstation-network-breach-is-scary

also

http://smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/M9Q6N3X2

They didn't get into the credit card thing though and you really need to learn the diffinision of may and could, they are assuming that someone copied everyones info when there isn't even any proof someone has 1 persons or even had the ability or time to copy the database or anything they are blowing it out of preportion so far absolutely nothing has happened but psn being down and personally I don't think anything else will happen