By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - America's greatest leader just declared his candidacy...

I also forgot to mention. If someone really gave a shit about government efficiency, they should push for a dictatorship. It has been proven several times throughout history that if you end up with a good dictator, your country will be at the top for centuries.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

VGCHartz is getting screwy, double post...

ManusJustus said:

VGCHartz is getting screwy, I think my original post is gone.  My major points:

1.  Privatized roads would be owned by companies who don't want you using their products for free.  Thats means that they will want to collect on any form of transportation you use on their road, including by foot and by bicycles.  Which gets us back to GPS ankle bracelets.  Since roads define "right of way" which citizens of pretty much every country use to leave their property and travel elsewhere, you are talking about a huge change in human psyche, we would all be prisoners of our own homes and property without the right to leave.

2.  Pedestrians have to be charged for using sidewalks along roads.  You propose that motorists should pay to cover pedestrians, but that is a free rider problem.  ssj12 will learn about the free rider problem first hand when he collects money from neighbors to build the road in front of his house.

Yes, bceause there are no laws or government regulations on anything that is privately owned.

Outside that the "free rider" problem... how much do you think regular foot travel costs versus car travel.   A 200 pound person, vs a car that weights 1 or 2 tons.

As for hacking?   The same thing that prevents people from comitting other crimes?

vlad321 said:

I also forgot to mention. If someone really gave a shit about government efficiency, they should push for a dictatorship. It has been proven several times throughout history that if you end up with a good dictator, your country will be at the top for centuries.

Stalin and Hitler did some amazing economic feats, but for the same reason that you don't want roads to be owned by a private company, there is a cost in loss of freedom that most are not willing to pay.

Kasz216 said:
ManusJustus said:

1.  Privatized roads would be owned by companies who don't want you using their products for free.  Thats means that they will want to collect on any form of transportation you use on their road, including by foot and by bicycles.  Which gets us back to GPS ankle bracelets.  Since roads define "right of way" which citizens of pretty much every country use to leave their property and travel elsewhere, you are talking about a huge change in human psyche, we would all be prisoners of our own homes and property without the right to leave.

2.  Pedestrians have to be charged for using sidewalks along roads.  You propose that motorists should pay to cover pedestrians, but that is a free rider problem.  ssj12 will learn about the free rider problem first hand when he collects money from neighbors to build the road in front of his house.

Yes, bceause there are no laws or government regulations on anything that is privately owned.

What?  You're getting lazy, which doesn't bode well for your logically flawed arguments.

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:
ManusJustus said:

What?  You're getting lazy, which doesn't bode well for your logically flawed arguments.

No... I'm just annoyed because you've completely ignored the fact that i've already adressed this... a few times.

You quoted my double post instead of the full post.

ManusJustus said:
vlad321 said:

Stalin and Hitler did some amazing economic feats, but for the same reason that you don't want roads to be owned by a private company, there is a cost in loss of freedom that most are not willing to pay.

I had ELizabeth more in mind when I said this. After she was done, England continued to be at the top even after 200 years of idiots ruling it.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I live in a country with low population density, the same ideas will apply to the many areas in the US with low population density. In these areas private roading would make no sense. Rural roads require disproportionate amounts of funding for the amount of usage they get, especially roads through difficult terrain. If it was left to private industry there would not be roads leading to small towns. It's not economic to build them.

ManusJustus said:
vlad321 said:

Vaguely tieing hitler and stalin to private roads.

Well played sir!  Espiecally somehow tieing extreme goverment control methods with a lowering of government control.

Again, explain how private roads are different from gasoline.  Since in fact, you can charge only cars despite your claims to the contrary.

Rath said:

I live in a country with low population density, the same ideas will apply to the many areas in the US with low population density. In these areas private roading would make no sense. Rural roads require disproportionate amounts of funding for the amount of usage they get, especially roads through difficult terrain. If it was left to private industry there would not be roads leading to small towns. It's not economic to build them.

Seems more like an arguement on why very specific roads shouldn't be left up to private companies.  Not the road systems at large.

Additionally, it has to be considered if it's actually sensible to have paved roads to small towns at huge cost to everybody involved.