By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you bought any video games for collection, more than to play?

Do any of the games that you own, serve more of a purpose as a part of a collection, than to play?

I would say that most of the games that I own are more for collection, than to play, but I definitely play all of the games that I own. I collect different franchises, such as Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy, Halo, Metroid, and Star Fox. Of course I have thoroughly played many of my games, but other games, I have barely touched, and own, for the sake of completing different franchise collections. For example, I own a brand new copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 for the Famicom Disk system, which I will not play, until I get a Famicom Disk System, which I will in the future, by ordering it on eBay, so for the time being, it exists to complete my Mario platform collection. But, the game's existence will serve more for playing, than collecting, after I get my Famicom Disk System, so I guess it isn't really a true "exist for collection" game only, or at least, it wont be.

A game, for collection only, would probably either have to be a brand new, sealed game, or a game that is so bad, you will not play it, but only keep, to complete a collection. Well, I don't like to keep bad games, unless they are so bad, that they are actually humorous to play, and I don't own any sealed games. That copy of Super Mario Bros. 2 is not longer sealed, but it's still new. I opened it to test a Famicom Disk Drive, which did not work. Hey, the game only cost $30. But anyways, I guess I haven't really thorougly played quite a few of my Zelda games, like the Gamecube ones that are actually compilations of older Zelda games, and the Gameboy Advance one, that is more of a port of the SNES Zelda game, so they probably exist more for collection. I also own a lot of sports Mario games, and Mario Party games, that exist, only for my attempt to collect all the Mario games.

What else... What else... I own a bunch of other games that I have played a couple of times, but keep, for their either their high collector's value, or to complete a collection, more than to actually play, like Bubble Bobble Part 2, which is worth a lot of money these days. Sure, it was pretty fun to play, but it's not better than the original, and I bought it only to own all the Bubble Bobble games on the NES, which wasn't that hard at all, since only two exist... Rainbow Islands does not count... I might buy Tengen Tetris for the NES, more for its collector's value, than to actually play, so that might be a future game, that I might own for collection, more than to play. In the future, I might start playing these games more, so that their purpose will be more to play, than to collect, but I'm sort of getting tired of playing video games now, for some reason. I don't know, they just don't seem to fun any more, so there is probably a chance that all the games I have will be for collection purposes only... Who knows...

Around the Network

As it is already Christmas (just after midnight US East Coast) as I write this ... and I am still working on my annual report, I don't have a lot of time.

But I can safely say I am a collector. Why else would I have an APF M-1000 or an RCA Studio II or an Aquarius Computer.

Overall, I estimate I have 2000+ games and 30+ systems.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Same here mostly a collector, NES specifically.

I have over 300 carts for the NES. Some highlights

All three Ultima's Complete in Box (CIB)
Final Fantasy CIB
2 NES action Sets with different Boxes (CIB)
1 NES Toploader
1 NES Control Deck Test Cart
1 Supervision 110 in One Cart (Pirate)
Bubble Bobble 2
Chiller (2 player zapper title can use 2 zappers)
NES 4 score CIB
All 6 Megaman titles
Dragon Warrior 1,2 & 4
L'emperereur CIB
All 3 Ninja Gaidens
All 3 Castlevainias
All 3 Mario Bros (technically 4)

Those are less than a quarter of the games that are worth more than 20 bucks.
All told my collection would probably sell for 3k-5k on ebay easily.

EDIT: To answert the OP:  Yes I consistantly buy games just to collect them. Even more recently I have become extremely anal about the games I buy this gen. I stopped buying used because they tend to be missing things (manuals cases) or have stickers attached to the paper inserts which are too much of a pain to remove.. I always keep the box to the system or game (I made my brother keep his Rockband box in my closet rather than toss it.) I try not to trade or resell unless the game absolutely sucks and I could buy it later at a rediculous bargin. 

I have 1,005 video games and have probably played 40% of them

Yes.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I own every single video game system in the world, and I only have over 100 games. How do you explain that?

I bought FF VII brand new for $100 recently just because it's so rare, not so much to play.

Very little of my game collection is there for collection sake, and most of the titles which fall into that category I'm seriously considering selling. Only a collector would be interested in some of these games...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

While I buy all my games to play, as I have only a tiny amount of money, I have to sell them afterwards, but many do remain in my collection, and sometimes I buy I game rather than rent it so I can have a collection

I have purchased a lot of older games just for nostalgia/collecting. Unfortanutely most of them arent worth a whole lot. Whenever i see old game that i sunk a lot of time into when i was a kid a always grab them for fun.
Stuff like:
Totally Rad (NES)
Ironsword (NES)
Hydlide (NES)
Sonic CD (Sega CD)
Ducktales (Gameboy)
Phantasy Star III (Genesis)

Nothing really to write home about but stuff i remember loving as a child regardless of how awful i think it is now.