By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve Sabotaging 360 Version Of Portal?

"Valve Sabotaging 360 version of Portal" is paranoia at its finest. In all likelihood, it uses the exact same Source Engine port used for L4D2 rather than a port that was deliberately downgraded by Valve software engineers. They have plenty on their plates as is without making more unnecessary work for themselves. 

What's more probable is that Valve took the time to utilize the resources of the PS3 to create an optimized port of Source Engine for the platform. It's not a conspiracy. 

As for the inevitable PC vs. console port comparison, the PS3 port really didn't lose much in the translation as any PS3 owner (who got a free copy of the PC game) will tell you. I've been playing it on Mac, PC and PS3 and about the only thing missing from the PS3 port is the ability to upload game saves to Cloud. It does however, download Cloud game save data.

Around the Network

man wtf comparing the 2 versions of the ss and it's like the 360 is a hot girl that got her face smashed into the wall by a gureilla. wtf happened? o_O;

dahuman said:

man wtf comparing the 2 versions of the ss and it's like the 360 is a hot girl that got her face smashed into the wall by a gureilla. wtf happened? o_O;

What happened is that it's the way Valve games look for the 360  and nobody ever complained until now.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

kowenicki said:

Well that is a bit odd.

Not a deal breaker for this type of game (still getting it on 360) but the PS3 one does look better on this occasion... I guess that makes a nice change for those that prefer the PS3 but it shouldnt make any difference to which console you would want to play it on, just like it doesn't when its the other way around.

Anyway, looking forward to Friday/Saturday

just...why?

Gabe newell said the PS3 version would be the best version on consoles at E32010 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowenicki said:

Well that is a bit odd.

Not a deal breaker for this type of game (still getting it on 360) but the PS3 one does look better on this occasion... I guess that makes a nice change for those that prefer the PS3 but it shouldnt make any difference to which console you would want to play it on, just like it doesn't when its the other way around.

just...why?

For the very same reason many people who prefer the PS3 but have both consoles got a lot of sub-par multiplats for the PS3. They prefer that system, collect trophies and like the controller more.  Whats wrong with that?

I have no intention of ever playing it on a pc... so 360 it is.

happy?

Please, there is no reason to get all worked up, it was just a question. I was just wondering why would you pay to get one inferior version when you could get 2 superior versions (PS3, PC) for the same money.

Simply put if you own a PC, PS3, and 360. The PS3 version is the best one to buy. Why? You get access to the PC and MAC versions of Portal 2 as well as cross platform play. The only way anyone should buy Portal 2 for 360 is if they don't have a PS3 or a PC that can run the game.

kowenicki said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowenicki said:
pizzahut451 said:
kowenicki said:

Well that is a bit odd.

just...why?

For the very same reason many people who prefer the PS3 but have both consoles got a lot of sub-par multiplats for the PS3. They prefer that system, collect trophies and like the controller more.  Whats wrong with that?

I have no intention of ever playing it on a pc... so 360 it is.

happy?

Please, there is no reason to get all worked up, it was just a question. I was just wondering why would you pay to get one inferior version when you could get 2 superior versions (PS3, PC) for the same money.

Whose worked up?  Just explaining the reasoning.  I wouldnt have thought it was difficult to work out.    I'm sure I will be amongst the majority on this.  

Anyway.. back to playing Portal 2...

whoa, calm down dude,I get your point

Valve: We Want Steam on Xbox

Microsoft: No

Valve: Sony and valve are now a great Family

Predictions for the end of 2011

PS3 60m/ X360 64m/ Wii 95m

Made on 01/18/2011

Ajescent said:

Where were the complainers when the ps3 was getting the bum end of deals earlier this gen? Also where are the reviews stating the differences between the two games?

You're kidding, right? I was drowning in the tears of fanboys any time that Valve was mentioned.

I'm pretty sure Valve is just being lazy here, or they are just not very talented. I figure I can use that excuse since it worked so well for Sony fans.