By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Uncanny Valley - A study with CGI v3.0

Final-Fan said:
CGI-Quality said:
Final-Fan said:
CGI-Quality said:

The first pic in the OP is the best representation of "The Valley". There's just something not quite "right" about one of them.

I guessed it was the one on the right because it looked more like a "pose".  I could believe that the one on the left is the fake in a more realistic posture, while the one on the right is a real person who looks off because he is assuming an artificial pose. 

Was I even right? 

If I tell you, the answer is given away!

Well ... yes.  On the other hand, you apparently implied you thought the answer was semi-obvious, so why hide it? 

In any case, I don't see the point of withholding the answer from people who have read the whole thread and presumably made a guess already. 

GOTCHA BITCH

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

hello everyone,im wholesale supplier online==                                                                

our website:=====( http://www.tntn.us)=====
free shipping
accept paypal credit card
lower price fast shippment with higher quality
BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!
SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!
FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!
Air jordan(1-24)shoes $30=====
Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35===
Hndbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35===
Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16=====
Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30=====
Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15===
New era cap $10===
Sunglass $ 15
COACH_Necklace $ 27
handbag $ 33
AF tank woman $ 17
puma slipper woman $ 30
Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25---
FREE SHIPPING,accept paypal-very good shopping -----
our website:======( http://www.tntn.us)===
Believe you will love it.

★★_★★
_★★___★★
_★★___★★_________★★★★
_★★___★★_______★★___★★★★
_★★__★★_______★___★★___★★
__★★__★______★__★★__★★★_★★
___★★__★____★__★★_____★★__★
____★★_★★__★★_★★________★★
____★★___★★__★★
___★___________★
__★_____________★
_★____0_____0____★
_★_______@_______★
_★_______________★
___★_____v_____★
_____★★_____★★__
  22:27:35
★★_★★
_★★___★★
_★★___★★_________★★★★
_★★___★★_______★★___★★★★
_★★__★★_______★___★★___★★
__★★__★______★__★★__★★★_★★
___★★__★____★__★★_____★★__★
____★★_★★__★★_★★________★★
____★★___★★__★★
___★___________★
__★_____________★
_★____0_____0____★
_★_______@_______★
_★_______________★
___★_____v_____★
_____★★_____★★__ ??? ?' ?'????з=77=ε ???/'? '? ?
lundi 27 septembre 2010 11:22
 http://www.tntn.us/12----
boot.ugg.jacket.jeans.sweart. (UGG)
jordan air max oakland dunks $39;

OMGZ CGI,

That was really, really impressive (I'm talking of the LA Noire vid at the end). Woah, once this tech is in place as standard then we'll start seeing more and more incredibly moving gameply experiences! Awesome.

The article was a good read too ( I liked the graph), but I think its too long for most people to read.

Lets hope LA Noire has some good gameplay to back up the stunning real-life-esque world.

Ok, so if Final Fan's post is correct about which is real...what the hell is that massive bump on the guy on the left's forehead?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I think L.A noirs tech so far has came close to very human like movement....well atleast facial expression wise either way very impressive IMO and just wonder how life like games will be in the future we porbly wont even tell the difference if its not told to us.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Final-Fan said:
CGI-Quality said:
If I tell you, the answer is given away!
Well ... yes.  On the other hand, you apparently implied you thought the answer was semi-obvious, so why hide it? 
In any case, I don't see the point of withholding the answer from people who have read the whole thread and presumably made a guess already.
I thought my smiley would have exposed my sarcasm....Guess not.
In any case, yes it's the one on the right.

Well, it would have ... if you'd given the answer!

That kinda made your sarcasm, uh, double sarcastic? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

CGI-Quality said:

lol this one is so bad!

CGI-Quality said:

I'd rather not push a meaningless issue (or come off as snobby - I generally respect your thoughts), but I really don't see the big deal. The idea was only in simple fun. Yes, I could have told you the answer, but I wanted you to figure it out on your own. In so doing, I made a joke that if I tell you, the answer is given away.

Anyway, back on topic: for those who haven't yet, check out the link near the bottom of the OP. I think it might spark just the kind of reaction Masahiro was talking about.

Basically, from my POV, you weren't joking.  (Because you in fact withheld the answer after I'd figured out my answer and wanted to check it against reality.)  And I stand by that analysis.  But anyway. 

If the reaction you refer to is "creeptastic", then yes! 

My question still hasn't been answered.  What in the hell is the huge lump on the guy on the left's forehead?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

To be honest, in terms of hardware power, I think we're almost their. PC hardware if utilised properly could generate some incredibly realistic looking models and textures (hair and the associated physics might be a bit longer mind). The problem is now more to do with how well the animators can get it right.

Without extensive and detailed use of motion capture, animations can just look wrong. Even then, artifacts still creep in and give you those "Urrggh" moments.