By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Uncanny Valley - A study with CGI v3.0

CGI-Quality said:
VXIII said:
CGI-Quality said:

Have a glimpse into one of my personal favorites:

This video has affected me so deeply , trying to get out of the valley and  fail because of the limited technology ( the box ) ... I'm downloading that.
-------
Very interesting and informative read , you know I think I'm going to get L.A Noire only because I want to see what the new technology has to offer.

I'm glad the video pushed you to think that, because that's exactly what I felt when watching it. It's fiction trying to become non-fiction (if that makes sense) which I find fascinating.

At least now we know the story behind these creepy avatars of yours :p

Around the Network

Now that I think about it CGI, woudn't you want the uncanny valley? Isn't survival horror your favorite genre?

Wait let me get this right, they got the face right, but they still couldn't get the hair?  (I mean the face was damn good, but she was missing hair, is that their limit now?)

So correct me if I'm wrong...as I'm rather interested in this.  So when we try making things more realistic, even the most minor of errors will make us react worse to said creation?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

CGI-Quality said:
Baalzamon said:

So correct me if I'm wrong...as I'm rather interested in this.  So when we try making things more realistic, even the most minor of errors will make us react worse to said creation?

Precisely. The negative reaction is known as The Uncanny Valley.

That's actually pretty sweet...very interesting read, thank you

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
darkknightkryta said:

Wait let me get this right, they got the face right, but they still couldn't get the hair?  (I mean the face was damn good, but she was missing hair, is that their limit now?)

What are you referencing?

Hair is very difficult to render, just curious if one of the reasons for the doll not having any.  Like how she kept on getting closer and closer, yet ultimately fail cause of the lack of hardware, just curious to think they still can't render hair right.  Or I'm just looking too into the video.

Slimebeast said:
patapon said:
Slimebeast said:

Maybe with next gen hardware we will truly reach the uncanny valley. I hope so.

Lol, reach the uncanny valley? isn't dead rising already out?

lol okay okay! I meant to get rid of the uncanny valley.

the only way to get rid of the uncanny valley is to reprogram the persons brain but I wonder if there is any tricks that could be used. like if there is an image that is nearly clearing the uncanny valley if you put a image that was deep down in the valley could you trick the brain into think the image that has nearly cleared it to be real?

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

CGI-Quality said:

The first pic in the OP is the best representation of "The Valley". There's just something not quite "right" about one of them.

I guessed it was the one on the right because it looked more like a "pose".  I could believe that the one on the left is the fake in a more realistic posture, while the one on the right is a real person who looks off because he is assuming an artificial pose. 

Was I even right? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I clicked expecting to see cleavages :(

CGI-Quality said:
Final-Fan said:
CGI-Quality said:

The first pic in the OP is the best representation of "The Valley". There's just something not quite "right" about one of them.

I guessed it was the one on the right because it looked more like a "pose".  I could believe that the one on the left is the fake in a more realistic posture, while the one on the right is a real person who looks off because he is assuming an artificial pose. 

Was I even right? 

If I tell you, the answer is given away!

Well ... yes.  On the other hand, you apparently implied you thought the answer was semi-obvious, so why hide it? 

In any case, I don't see the point of withholding the answer from people who have read the whole thread and presumably made a guess already. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!