By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yet another Wii 2 Rumor. Codename 'Project Café'

I'm starting to buy into all this.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298348/news/wii-2-is-project-caf-says-report-tech-specs-controller-details-claimed/

As if you haven't had enough today, the latest Wii 2 rumour report has emerged - and it's a big one, claiming tech specs and controller details for the not-so-secret-anymore Nintendo console.

French site 01net, which previously released the NGP specs long before any official announcement, has backed up widespread claims that Nintendo will reveal its next console at E3 this year.

It's also backed up CVG's scoop that the console's controller will feature a built-in high-resolution screen.

According to the latest report, 'Wii 2' is being internally referred to as 'Project Café', and sports architecture similar to that of the Xbox 360, "but a bit more powerful".

It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM.

This would of course make HD console ports very easy for developers, but 'Project Café' will also include backwards compatibility with both the Wii (including all peripherals) and GameCube games, it's said.

The controller has a six-inch touch screen, a front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," and can allegedly be used as a Wii sensor bar.

Late 2012 is the release date, and another "big surprise" about the console is set to be revealed at E3, the report concludes.

As always consider this a strong rumour for now, but it's a good source indeed.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

RAM value sounds too low (1 GB should be easy to cheaply put in at this point), unless Nintendo is just shooting to match PS360, and that controller sounds a little too complex and expensive

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

RAM value sounds too low (1 GB should be easy to cheaply put in at this point), unless Nintendo is just shooting to match PS360, and that controller sounds a little too complex and expensive

This.

Actually using that small amount of RAM would probably cost them MORE than using 1-2GB or so.

Fake, this is just a website trying to get hits by adding details to already known details and saying "We had the correct NGP specs! We must be right this time too!"

And why would a source say "another big surprise will be revealed at E3!" It's just dumb to take this seriously..

That controller sounds like it would cost about $300 itself, lmfao

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network

I hope this is true

puffy said:

Fake, this is just a website trying to get hits by adding details to already known details and saying "We had the correct NGP specs! We must be right this time too!"

And why would a source say "another big surprise will be revealed at E3!" It's just dumb to take this seriously..

why,some of it might be wrong,but there's just to many other sources and rumors for this not to be true. I'd actually be shocked if nintendo doesn't annouce something to this effect.

This sounds like not so much of a reaction to anything MS/Sony has/is/will do, as a direct frontal attack against anything Apple might bring.  That sounds erriely like what I would have expected Apple to bring to home consoles - basically games played on your TV but controlled with your ipod/iphone/ipad.

Carl2291 said:

I hope this is true

This, just for the bizarro factor!

...But not really. And Project Cafe? Not even Miyamoto would go along with that. I'm inclined to believe that there is some form of screen on the controller, but a six inch screen is too large.

I'm really hoping that it has something Kinect like. Wii Fit is really sad compared to what you can do with Kinect.