By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What does Samus mean to you?

Personnaly, i didnt know samus existed until the first smash bros.

Personally also, the strong mysterious quiet nature of samus isnt really interesting to me. I find it more to be a cleverly disguised excuse to keep from having to developping her back story and personnality rather than providing an actual improvement to her character. If anything, her trademark mysteriousness just makes her seem more like Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby or any character Nintendo has ever created. Their all under developped and have very little if any back story. All we know about Mario for example is that hes a plumber, and all we know about Samus is that her parents were killed by space pirates and she was trained by the Chozo who also gave her her suit.
The proof is that it took the help of another company for Nintendo to finally start giving a sens of who samus really is.

The games are incredible, though. Samus? shes just the person shooting the cool arm gun, thats pretty much it.

Around the Network

nostalgia?

strong, powerful, no fear.

Khuutra said:

Look above you: you see in the sky the shape of a cloud which blots out the sun with leathery wings, and then you realize that cloud is not a cloud but old death, a heaving dragon who hounds you through your life and demands a repetition of your ferocity, sated only by its own violent end. No one has to hunt this old death, but you see it, and you say, Ah. It is time to unsheathe my sword again.

That is who Samus is.

You see your goal, and it is far across a valley. Between you lies the entire world, and at the sight of you the world weeps, as many worlds have wept before - but too late, because you are already there, and standing between you and your goal is consignment to annihilation.

That is who Samus is.

The devils in the ocean, in their egocentrism and their arrogance, do not know you, but they learn. The devils in the ground are dragged up, screaming, into the air, made to burn alive in the unforgiving harshness of the sun. The men who consort with devils whisper of you by a name that isn't yours, seek to emulate your efficiency, your technique, and fail miserably. You are a hunter of devils, you act because it is impossible not to act, and no one can match you because no one else can say the same.

Samus is implacability without indestructibility, a whirlwind of annihilation whose success is made mroe amazing due to an inherent and human vulnerability. Death could come to her at any time - sometimes it does, always violently, always in screams and fire and the triumphant bugling of evil - but she walks through fields of the dead as if they aren't there. She is not unstoppable, but no one is up to the task of stopping her; entire worlds are compressed, burned, cast aside, and she marches on, always reaching her goal in a torrent of fire.

Sorry to quote such an old post, but this pretty much confirms what I have been thinking for a while...

The ultimate Samus (in the eyes of fans) is Batman.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

gumby_trucker said:

Sorry to quote such an old post, but this pretty much confirms what I have been thinking for a while...

The ultimate Samus (in the eyes of fans) is Batman.

I would say more Roland Deschain, myself...

I'd try to nail her if she was a real person is about it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

She usually is what an ideal woman should be: silent and perfectly controlable.

fixed