By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is so important a remake of Final Fantasy VII?

Why is so important a remake of Final Fantasy VII?

Because it's the best FF ever .. seriously 96 33.33%

Because a lot of things con be improved 42 14.58%

Because the fanbase demand it 65 22.57%

Because it's easy money 48 16.67%

I don't know 37 12.85%

Total:288
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:

I believe it should be remade so that everyone who drooled over the game as an 8-12 year old can go back, play the game again, and realize that it just isn't that great.

Well, if it was 'remade', it might be made better.  But as it stands now, its a controversial game that some obsess over and others hate with a passion.  As someone who's played all buy one main FF game, I ca honestly say its not as good in design, character development or plot as others.  But that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved with a remake.

If it gets the treatment of something like FFIV DS though, it would just be a port with upgraded graphics.  And at that point, I could agree it was lackluster.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm merely saying that it isn't great. Waaaaaay too many cutscenes, non-interactive bits, the story is pretty meh overall, both Cloud and Sephiroth are bitches, and the gameplay isn't phenomenal enough to make up for it.

FFVII was right around the time I started figuring out that WAY too many JRPGs are similar games repackaged with the same whiny characters, ridiculous leveling requirements, and gameplay structure.

When you think about how Fallout released the same year as FFVII, you really start to realize just how lackluster the game was outside of its 3D gameplay and intricate cutscenes. Fallout was infinitely more fascinating and forward-thinking than FFVII, even if its technical merits paled in comparison.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm merely saying that it isn't great. Waaaaaay too many cutscenes, non-interactive bits, the story is pretty meh overall, both Cloud and Sephiroth are bitches, and the gameplay isn't phenomenal enough to make up for it.

FFVII was right around the time I started figuring out that WAY too many JRPGs are similar games repackaged with the same whiny characters, ridiculous leveling requirements, and gameplay structure.

When you think about how Fallout released the same year as FFVII, you really start to realize just how lackluster the game was outside of its 3D gameplay and intricate cutscenes. Fallout was infinitely more fascinating and forward-thinking than FFVII, even if its technical merits paled in comparison.

I just want to say I disagree with you again.

There. I said it.

rocketpig said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:

I believe it should be remade so that everyone who drooled over the game as an 8-12 year old can go back, play the game again, and realize that it just isn't that great.

Well, if it was 'remade', it might be made better.  But as it stands now, its a controversial game that some obsess over and others hate with a passion.  As someone who's played all buy one main FF game, I ca honestly say its not as good in design, character development or plot as others.  But that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved with a remake.

If it gets the treatment of something like FFIV DS though, it would just be a port with upgraded graphics.  And at that point, I could agree it was lackluster.

Yes its over-hyped, has bad characters and bad flow.  In fact, it pretty much invented the concept of 'story over gameplay' in JRPGs, which far too many JRPGs (and some WRPGs) have followed.  In fact, I'd say FFVIII did everything FFVII was trying to do, but better.

But all I'm saying in defense of FFVII is they COULD make it better with a remake.  No guarantee they could, but you know.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:

Yes its over-hyped, has bad characters and bad flow.  In fact, it pretty much invented the concept of 'story over gameplay' in JRPGs, which far too many JRPGs (and some WRPGs) have followed.  In fact, I'd say FFVIII did everything FFVII was trying to do, but better.

But all I'm saying in defense of FFVII is they COULD make it better with a remake.  No guarantee they could, but you know.

Oh, sure. I'd probably even give it a whirl for old time's sake but chances are, I'd probably get tired of playing it 10 hours in, just like most other JRPGs nowadays. The game has aged terribly (I booted it up for shits and giggles several years back) and when I look at truly great games from the same era (Fallout 1/2, Half-Life, Super Mario 64, etc.), it doesn't compare anymore.

rocketpig said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:

It always been a great game. I mean Polls results proves it and just having dabate over it now proves that as well. Face it nobody cares about the other games in that era. It was all FFVII. It is always brought up and always requested in interviews.. Even Wada twitted about a remake on his twitter page and it exploded with request to do it. he was forced to close his page because there was to many request. lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

I think people want it so bad because FFVII has a very distinct style to it. The world of FFVII is absolutely gorgeous IMO, and I'd love to see it recreated using today's hardware, the way they contrasted bright, vivid colors (like Mako) against dark, dreary locales was beautiful.

Even now, FFVII has some of the most beautiful artistic direction of any game I've played.

Oh yeah, to add onto my post...

I didn't play FF7 until 2004, well after many other RPG's, and it still has a spot in my top ten games of all time. The game is phenomenal, and if you think otherwise, you're wrong. It deserves every ounce of praise it gets, it deserves to be overrated, and it deserves a remake. I know that if you break down the story and gameplay it's an awful lot like FF6, but that doesn't mean it isn't damned good.

Materia system is also an awesome gimmick and really needs to be duplicated. It starts off as something simple to grasp for any newcomer, but it transforms into a deep gameplay mechanic. One moment you're equipping your first materia, the next moment you're spending 15 minutes deciding what the best combination for your team is. By itself, it sort of describes why FF7 is so appealing, it starts simple, but transforms into a deep and engrossing experience.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

deskpro2k3 said:
rocketpig said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:

It always been a great game. I mean Polls results proves it and just having dabate over it now proves that as well. Face it nobody cares about the other games in that era. It was all FFVII. It is always brought up and always requested in interviews.. Even Wada twitted about a remake on his twitter page and it exploded with request to do it. he was forced to close his page because there was to many request. lol

Yeah, no one cares about other games from that era. That's why people have been clamoring for Half-Life 3 for years and last time I checked, Fallout 3 sold just a *few* copies for Bethesda with hype largely based on the phenomenal first and second installations of the series. Meanwhile, FF has been on a downward trajectory for damned near a decade.

Just because you were 12 when those games released and they were too complex for your age bracket does not equal "no one cares".

rocketpig said:
deskpro2k3 said:
rocketpig said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
rocketpig said:

Yeah, no one cares about other games from that era. That's why people have been clamoring for Half-Life 3 for years and last time I checked, Fallout 3 sold just a *few* copies for Bethesda with hype largely based on the phenomenal first and second installations of the series. Meanwhile, FF has been on a downward trajectory for damned near a decade.

Just because you were 12 when those games released and they were too complex for your age bracket does not equal "no one cares".

Oh please...Like I said before no one cared about Half Life in 1998. Now It is just another shooter which is popular in the west. Yeah sure Half-Life sales is 9.3 million for PC and Half-Life 2 is 6.5 million. Seems like its going downwards to yeah?

Fall Out 3 and Half Life 2 is not in the FF7 era. Do you understand?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Since it remains my favorite JRPG of all time it would finally confirm for me whether I am done with JRPGs or not for good. If I can not enjoy FF7 than no other stands much of a chance. I would count Valkarie Chronincles because it is more of a Strategy game and now only for psp, what a loss for me.

I want something final and proven like ff 7 so bring it on!

deskpro2k3 said:

Oh please...Like I said before no one cared about Half Life in 1998. Now It is just another shooter which is populer in the west. Yeah sure Half-Life sales is 9.3 million for PC and Half-Life 2 is 6.5 million. Seems like its going downwards to yeah?

Fall Out 3 and Half Life 2 is not in the FF7 era. Do you understand?

You really shouldn't talk about things you obviously don't know about. You were 12 in 1998. A LOT of people "cared" about Half-Life in 1998. It won a shitload of Game of the Year awards and it completely changed the FPS shooter scene, which was just starting to blow up during that time period. At the time, I didn't know a single PC gamer who didn't own the game by early 1999.

Obviously HL2 and FO3 were not FF7's time period, but their predecessors were. And those predecessors were incredibly popular and were two of the premiere industry-changing games that birthed the WRPG and FPS genres, which over the past decade have seriously hurt the JRPG in the west. Sales be damned, those two games were better, more forward-thinking, and have had more of an impact on the gaming landscape than FFVII, the zenith of JRPG gaming that has been followed by a downward spiral in the genre's sales.

Oh, and way to include HL2's sales but ignore that it has launched on nearly every platform and that most of its sales ARE NOT trackable (Steam) or bundled into other packages (Orange Box).