By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo ever go back to using a regular controller?

Will Nintendo ever go back to using a regular controller?

Yes 17 10.69%

No 45 28.30%

hopefully 45 28.30%

that would suck! 23 14.47%

see results 28 17.61%

Total:158

They very well could if it becomes necessary for disruption. Like kitler said, they have reverted all the way back to NES for some of their best-selling games this generation, so who's to say?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

They very well could if it becomes necessary for disruption. Like kitler said, they have reverted all the way back to NES for some of their best-selling games this generation, so who's to say?

No. That makes no sense.

Kenny said:

I doubt it.  In any case, the definition of 'normal' controls has changed, now that Microsoft and Sony have also adopted motion controls.  Even the 3DS and the iPhone have some degree of motion controls, with the NGP set to follow their lead.

Thanks for stealing my snarky answer.

Jerk.

While I could be wrong, I think their next system will go "in both directions" at the same time ...

I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago where Miyamoto (effectively) said that he still saw value in buttons and analogue sticks but the Wiimote was designed with as few as possible (in each orientation) to force people to use motion controlls. While I wouldn't expect Nintendo to go to the other extreme, I could see them incorporating more buttions, sliders, analogue sticks, touch pads, or (pretty much) any conventional input device onto their controller if they thought it added value.

At the same time, Nintendo seems to be trying to maintain an asymetric market so that they're not in direct competition with anyone; and (as a result) I would expect them to do something different with their next system that no one else is in a position to try.

wiifan75 said:
IamAwsome said:

That normal enough for you?

Like Rol said, for them to "go back" to normal controllers, they will have to have abandoned them, but they haven't, as evidenced in the picture.

Completely agree here.  It was never abandoned.  It was just displaced with a new way to play.

These are my thoughts as well.  I use the CCP for Goldeneye and COD: BO.

Around the Network

Nintendo will never go back with regular controllers.

RolStoppable said:

To go back to something you have to abandon it in the first place.

this

however if op means as a primary source of controlling, probably not

Traditional controller? You mean the same controller that Nintendo changed about 10 times in the last 20 years?

And whats wrong with the nunchuk configuration? I like the fact that I can leave one controller still, while using the other controller to scroll menus and select options much quicker than usual (im pretty sure Sony liked this idea too).

Even if lets say, the next controller was a traditional two handed device, I would find it HIGHLY unlikely that the IR Pointer concept wasn't carried over in some capacity. Noone discusses it, bcoz motion takes all the headlines, but that innovation in the wiimote is one of the best contributions to controller designs ever.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Wii WAS the return to a regular controller. Put your Wii remote on it's side... And it's an NES controller.

If you put all of Nintendo's controllers in a row, the N64 controller looks like the one that abandoned "normal."

Game and Watch, NES, Game Boy, SNES, GBA, DS and Wii all have D-pad on the left, and buttons on the right, with no more buttons than ABXYLR. Only N64 and GC add the handle grips, downplay the D-pad for the analog stick, and have 7 or 8 buttons.

I hope the next console has a cross between a Wii remote and a SNES controller. Make something that can be a perfect standard for Wii Sports and Mario Bros. and I'm happy.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I just voted see results since they never really left the old controller to start with. There are Wii games that still work with cube controllers /shrug