By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Treyarch: People "See Value" In 1200MSP Map Packs

OXM

Treyarch's Josh Olin has defended the 1200MSP price of the Call of Duty: Black Ops map packs, saying that people "see value" in them.

While discussing the recent First Strike DLC in the new issue of OXM, we asked if players had simply got used to paying top dollar for CoD DLC, after the initial outcry back in the days of Modern Warfare 2

"It's a little of getting used to it, but I think people see there's a lot of value in the map pack," said Olin. "All four of our MP maps are brand new from the ground up- they're not rehashes from single player, they're not old maps that people have seen before - they're brand new maps." 

"As well as those maps, they get new gameplay mechanics with ziplines and destructible bridges and auto turrets and then in Ascension they get... in fact every new zombie map we've ever made for DLC, it's more than just a few maps - new weapons, new enemies, new traps."

The release of First Strike offered further proof that price isn't really an issue where CoD is concerned, selling a record-breaking 1.4 million in the first 24 hours of going on-sale. The game remains at the top of the Xbox Live activity charts.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/27165/news/treyarch-people-see-value-in-1200msp-map-packs/

Around the Network

Right...

More like fear of being left out.

Value my ass, two maps are coming out for killzone 3 for 5 bucks! and Battlefield maps are usually Free!

For 1200 points you can get entire games on XBLA, 4 maps is not value.

Unless you play the crap out of a game paying for MP maps is just a waste of money....kinda how I feel about Halo Reach map packs (800 MS points for 3 maps is a rip unless i'm playing it at least a couple times a week)

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

Unless you play the crap out of a game paying for MP is just a waste of money....kinda how I feel about Halo Reach map packs (800 MS points for 3 maps is a rip unless i'm playing it at least a couple times a week)

not only that, but with so many sales, it's very possible that most of the players that buy the map pack play only Black Ops and no other games.

I play it every day, but I'd rather spend $15 on a new game instead of a map pack that it's not even guaranteed that will be used on servers I play (if it turns out that people don't like the map, they'll simply take it out of rotation)

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Wow I never realized how much they where charging for this garbage!!

Who ever keeps buying these rip-off's are the ones at fault for this atrocity!

I think at 800-1000 price point it would have been a much better value. Do I like the map packs? The ones Treyarch release for sure, I hated the stimulus package for MW2, didn't buy it personally but a friend did, worst set of maps I've ever seen. I'll personally wait till there are more of them and there is a bundle sale available for all 3, like I brought the 3 WaW map packs for 2000 MS points, now that was a bargain.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

KylieDog said:

More like if people do not buy them they can look forward to getting booted from lobbies constantly when a DLC map is voted.

Better games usually have a DLC-free playlist to join.

That was the problem on WaW, but now they've released an additional playlist, specifically for the First Strike map pack. I don't think I've ever encountered a DLC map yet and I've played it quite a lot. So does that make Black Ops a better game?

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

I'm not payin 1200MP for maps ever again..Specially for 3 maps GTFOH Activision