By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is a gimmick?

@robzo100  oh i agree Ninty was trying something different. but there not above reproach either, did DKCR, NSMBWii and Warioland really need you to shack the controller?? all that crap could have been done with pushing a button, when it comes to tacking on motion controls, Ninty has to share some of the blame in their games too. IMHO the only thing ive seen that have really changed is the sports/mingame compilations, FPSs and exercise games. all other genres dont really benefit from motion tech that much. This is a jab at Wii. Move and Kinect have the same problems. motion controls will never be the norm because it cant support all genres, at least it wont for a while

Around the Network

I don't have the time to read the first post right now but I do have an idea: A gimmick is something that's more or less awesome at first but you definitely won't care for it at all later on - or possibly you care much less for it later.

Gimmick is just a feature that makes your product stand out. One that increases its appeal.

In gaming, when used negatively, it means something that does not contribute to how games are played.

While I would agree that HD, motion controls and 3D are gimmicks (in the good sense), I think they all add something to games.

Lots of gamers nowadays won't play new games on SD TV if they have an HD TV. The picture quality helps to immerse you a bit more.

Motion controls are not gimmicks in the negative sense because they can change how games are played and make them more fun and immersive. It all depends on whether the dev tack it on or take advantage of it.

As for 3D, there are already people on gaming sites (NeoGAF and such) that say after they've played certain 3DS games with 3D on, they can't play the game without it because it makes it feel as if something is missing in the game.

We're going to see some nice things done with 3D on 3DS, I'm betting you. I already think it can add immersion to games, and that's somethign important.

oniyide said:

@robzo100  oh i agree Ninty was trying something different. but there not above reproach either, did DKCR, NSMBWii and Warioland really need you to shack the controller?? all that crap could have been done with pushing a button, when it comes to tacking on motion controls, Ninty has to share some of the blame in their games too. IMHO the only thing ive seen that have really changed is the sports/mingame compilations, FPSs and exercise games. all other genres dont really benefit from motion tech that much. This is a jab at Wii. Move and Kinect have the same problems. motion controls will never be the norm because it cant support all genres, at least it wont for a while

I think DKCR does fall under what I said before - the franchise was built upon non-motion controls.  The rolling definitely was a little odd with the shake (though def. not horrible for me), and that is because that franchise used precise controls that only tactile button pushes could achieve.  So yeah I'll def. concede a bit there.  As for nsmbw, I actually won't concede because I loved the shake that gives you an extra boost, and I felt the jolt of a shake was much more precise for that kind of thing than a button push.  I really do, because that action is much more instinctive by nature than a jump, so i'd prefer something more intuitive.  Warioland was a very simple game that i didn't take seriously, not to say i didn't enjoy it.  I didn't mind the motion controls there cause that was part of the casual fun for me since I took it lightly.

But yes, it hasn't changed everything yet.  I wouldn't go as far/general as saying genres, but some style of games were previously built with non-intuitive, or less intuitive (cause a single button mash is still on the intuitive side) controls in mind - they wanted something more precise and systematic.  So when these style of games are forced onto a motion controlled platform then yes problems begin to arise.  But overall it will integrate nicely with some genres, and may inevitably end up creating new styles of games the same way that previous technologies bred their own unique styled games.

^^^NSMBWii did it a little better, id rather push a button, but it wasnt as jarring as DKCR, that really felt unnesscary. Warioland was kind of a let down im a huge Wario fan and Production IG fan too, but too much shaking, not a game i can play for extended periods of time, maybe that was teh point. still gonna get it

Around the Network
oniyide said:

@robzo  i agree with you to a certain extent, but i would have to say that the motion controls did not change a multitude of games. IE you still play fighting games with regular controls

That was before 20M people bought Wii Sports Resort for swordfighting alone.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

How is Mario expected to pick up another player and use the propeller suit at the same time?

Motion controls made multiplayer 2D Mario possible. That's something the N64 just couldn't do therefore motion controls are more important than the analog stick and rumble.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Something that is superfluous. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger