By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS has the wow factor for gamers and non gamers (even Nintendo haters)

SaviorX said:

For me, it is not a matter of "if" I am buying the 3DS, but "when"; my DSLite is down for the count so it is about time to get into the new generation of handhelds.

Plus, the fact that you have to see it to believe it only makes me want to own one even more. The software is still pretty barren (not even out for a week yet granted...) but I think after E3...I can make the purchase. Also, there a some patching kinks that might have to be worked out for the first couple months.

There is quite a bit of doom and gloom concerning the strategy behind 3DS but I dont think people need to be so skeptical. Nintendo has lasted this long for a reason.

Personally, I'm not "doom and gloom", just "this isn't the break through for gaming that a bunch of people think it is". It's superficial and does not add to the content.

BTW, my comments on motion controls apply to all that work. Okay while some just replace buttons with motion (like Kinect Adventures and Metroid Prime 3, the latter in terms of motion not the pointer which does help), you can't do Just Dance or Dance Central without motion detection. Or take Dance Dance Revolution. You can play that with buttons, but you literally lose the "Dance" aspect.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Until you actually see it, play it, for more then 5 days. You have no idea what the hell your talking about.

The only people that hate this thing dont have it.

Iv read 1 or 2 people that dont like it and they can't see the 3D

Duh!

If you havent played the new system just relax

Albion said:

Until you actually see it, play it, for more then 5 days. You have no idea what the hell your talking about.

The only people that hate this thing dont have it.

Iv read 1 or 2 people that dont like it and they can't see the 3D

Duh!

If you havent played the new system just relax

I bring this up again, store demos and personaly sharing are to convince people to buy it. If you need to do it extensively, that defeats the purpose of those.

And sharing and demos were how the Wii and DS spread. So you can't just dismiss those.

You can't use "You must buy the 3D system to be convinced you should buy it" as an argument.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

MaxwellGT2000 said:

I honestly think situations like that is exactly what Nintendo is going for, people being social in real life, not some internet posters praising or hating on the machine, cause the people they're talking to cannot see for themselves.  The 3D just has the eye catching "must have" feeling they were talking about at GDC, the only way to truly show off the 3DS is to have people play it for themselves, so the 3DS comes with software that flat out encourages being social, from Face Raiders, to the photo apps, to the game coins.  It makes sure you carry it with you, get others involved, and most of all have fun while doing it. 

Also of note, from the large groups I've shown, only two had issues seeing the 3D, one of which was not wearing his glasses and was still sold on the idea after showing him Ridge Racer, the other I showed him the depth slider and toned it down and he saw it fine, he was still clinging to his DSi XL however cause he bought it not long ago.

Anyway I hope you've enjoyed my first week with the 3DS, feel free to discuss or share any stories you guys have with showing the 3DS to others!

I agree with you for the time being. It's cool technology for sure.

What gets me though is how nobody has brought up Apple yet. Nintendo is the first to market with glasses-free 3d, and while reception seems to be positive, they risk losing their current monopoly on the technology if rumours like this are real. The current 'wow' factor that Nintendo has will be diminished should an iPod Touch come out with similar technology.

I think in order to keep the 'wow' factor, Nintendo needs compelling software (duh), because high-quality 3d software will also help differentiate Nintendo's offerings from Apple's ineviatble Touch device that will have 3d games that fall far short of typical Nintendo quality.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
ameratsu said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

I honestly think situations like that is exactly what Nintendo is going for, people being social in real life, not some internet posters praising or hating on the machine, cause the people they're talking to cannot see for themselves.  The 3D just has the eye catching "must have" feeling they were talking about at GDC, the only way to truly show off the 3DS is to have people play it for themselves, so the 3DS comes with software that flat out encourages being social, from Face Raiders, to the photo apps, to the game coins.  It makes sure you carry it with you, get others involved, and most of all have fun while doing it. 

Also of note, from the large groups I've shown, only two had issues seeing the 3D, one of which was not wearing his glasses and was still sold on the idea after showing him Ridge Racer, the other I showed him the depth slider and toned it down and he saw it fine, he was still clinging to his DSi XL however cause he bought it not long ago.

Anyway I hope you've enjoyed my first week with the 3DS, feel free to discuss or share any stories you guys have with showing the 3DS to others!

I agree with you for the time being. It's cool technology for sure.

What gets me though is how nobody has brought up Apple yet. Nintendo is the first to market with glasses-free 3d, and while reception seems to be positive, they risk losing their current monopoly on the technology if rumours like this are real. The current 'wow' factor that Nintendo has will be diminished should an iPod Touch come out with similar technology.

I think in order to keep the 'wow' factor, Nintendo needs compelling software (duh), because high-quality 3d software will also help differentiate Nintendo's offerings from Apple's ineviatble Touch device that will have 3d games that fall far short of typical Nintendo quality.

Good software is far more than "wow", as it stays good far longer than the initial awe of it lasts. VC sales show that games that have lost any "wow factor" are still loved.

I just really cannot stand 3D. Whether it is 3D games or 3D movies, the image seems to lose quality, it hurts your eyes, this could easily damage people's eye sight.

And what do we gain out of this misery? A cheap "3D" effect? I played one at a local store and I couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes. Not just because of the 3D hurting my eyes but the fact it is displaying last gen graphics in 3D, if the image was higher resolution then maybe I would be able to play it for longer.

^^^maybe you cant see 3D well??? cause i never get headaches after watching a movie

@rolstoppable i kind of agree that the 3D isnt that big a leap in gaming as some people think, i dont care im still going get one eventually just for the good games that do come. and i think your giving way too much credit to WiiSports an on rails tennis game is not sim, not even close. a baseball where you dont run and a inaccurate boxing game or not sims, they might be fun for a bit but not sims. bowling and tennis are straight

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

^^^maybe you cant see 3D well??? cause i never get headaches after watching a movie

@rolstoppable i kind of agree that the 3D isnt that big a leap in gaming as some people think, i dont care im still going get one eventually just for the good games that do come. and i think your giving way too much credit to WiiSports an on rails tennis game is not sim, not even close. a baseball where you dont run and a inaccurate boxing game or not sims, they might be fun for a bit but not sims. bowling and tennis are straight

I don't recall calling Wii Sports a simulation and I have no idea what the sexual orientation of bowling and tennis has to do with this. What are you trying to tell me?

I think I mentioned it as a simulation, but I didn't mean it in the sense of the simulation genre, and oops if I accidentally implied that.

The wow factor really is pretty strong with the 3DS. I showed one of my mom's friends the 3D camera and that was enough for her to go out and purchase one.