By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm not buying this 3D thing

Around the Network
amp316 said:

The use of 3D in anything is, was, and always will be a gimmick.  I can't see 3D.  I don't want to see 3D.  If it didn't take so much time and proofreading you would never ever see me make a post with either the number 3 or the letter D in it again.  This gimmick is a way to get a sucker to pay more money to see a movie.  It is also a way to get a remake of Pocahontas to become the top grossing film of all time, but that's neither here nor there.  But I am not here to talk about this overutilized trickery's usage in cinema.  I'm speaking of the latest gaming system to claim to be 3D.  I am speaking of the 3DS.

People have asked me if I plan on buying the latest Nintendo handheld.  My answer is nuh-uh.  I will not buy it and it's not just because of Nintendo's reliance on a tired gimmick.

First off, for those of you who don't know me well, I am a massive Wii fan.  Unless you have been living under a rock, I am sure that you are aware that the Wii's sales have been dipping.  I will not buy a 3DS because I would start buying games for it instead of the Wii and this would take away from the Wii's software sales.  This might not sound like much but it is.  Look at my collection if you don't believe me.  I still need to add like 20 more games. 

The 3DS is supposed to have awesome 3rd party support.  To hell with that.  If I were to support them I'd be selling out.  I like supporting systems with little to no 3rd party support.  That's why I am such am big Wii and N64 fan.  I'd rather buy five Nintendo games than support developers that didn't give a diddly squat about Nintendo until the 3DS.  Super Street Fighter IV would've been great for Nintendo fans a year ago, Capcom.

Speaking of the N64, wasn't it supposed to have 3D graphics?  Well...  wasn't it?  If not, it looks like I was ripped off.  Let me guess, this is a better form of 3D and 15 years from now Nintendo will show off an even better form of 3D and act like this 3D didn't exist.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I won't be fooled again.

Also, I'm sick of getting the same crap.  I mean really... I already own the best game that will be released on the system or will there be a better game than Ocarina of Time on it?  I highly doubt it.  There's also Rayman 3D coming out for the system which is actually a 3D enhanced version of Rayman 2: The Great Escape that came out in 2000 for the Dreamcast and Splinter Cell 3D which is just a fancy name for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which came out in 2005.  Don't try to crap on me in my backyard and tell me that it's a California mudslide.  I don't live in California.

There also just isn't enough time in the day.  Between working, gaming on the Wii, and having sex I barely have enough time to eat, shower and sleep.  How in the world would I have time for the 3DS?  The answer is that I wouldn't.  You guys should follow suit.  Instead of paying money to watch jiggling boobs in Dead Or Alive: Dimensions, spend that money going to a strip club if you don't have a girl of your own.

Me buying this handheld would also be a betrayal to the magnificent 2D renaissance that is going on.  Awesome platformers like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Wario Land: Shake it will give way to games like Super Monkey Ball : Could it possibly be worse than that Step and Roll Game? 3D and several other lets make a barren game with bitchin' looking 3D environments games.  Thank you no.  I am not selling out.

In conclusion, if I want to see a beautiful 3D environment, I'll step outside.  I play games to escape from reality and not to be like reality.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

A lot of people can see 3d. And calling it a gimmick and saying you like wii is just laughable. 3D is like HD it just adds to the picture. And since you cannot see that to bad for you. Street fighter in 3d looks amazing. 

@lordtheknight  no, Capcom said RE4 would stay GC exclusive, it wasnt a test for PS2, that makes no sense, PS2 had like 75% of the market, your going to release a game on a system that had the worst install base at the time?? they released it on PS2 because they realized how stupid it was to have one of their flagship games on GC. IMHO it should never have been exclusive in the 1st place and considering the PS2 version sold better than the other 2, ill stand by that statement. So either A they are just liars or B they're just really stupid. Either way i dont know why people let Capcom upset them, considering there either A or B, you should know how things would turn out. I will agree with you on following up, im not saying that Wii should have gotten RE5, that version would have sucked, but Capcom could have thrown Wii something in the vein of a RE4 type. instead of yet another light gun game, but hell people bought it so what are you gonna do??

@siavm  i agree, i dont get why some deride the 3DS but praise the wiimote???  the motion controls didnt really give that much change like people like to think. Ok Wii Sports is alright ,but look at tennis you cant even control the avatar its on rails tennis, like a tennis version of a light gun game. Does that add to the experience??? not really they added something but took something away. same with boxing doesnt track the body movement, baseball to a lesser extent. Golf and Bowling are ok. FPSs??? fine, but how much of them have been made that utilize it??? how much of those games are actually worth a crap?? IMHO there are games that dont even benefit from motion fighting games, platformers(no shaking the damn controller is not good motion) beat em ups, sports, RPGs, but they did make dancing mainstream and exercise games too. Thank god for US' body image problems (im glad im not fat and dont like to fake dance)

And the Wii's motion controllers aren't gimmicky? Give me a break, don't make threads like this. Seems you haven't even tried it and you go to say because it will take away from the Wii's software sales.........yeah your thread didn't have much merit after that.

Around the Network

"it wasnt a test for PS2, that makes no sense"

They outright said that sales of Outbreak convinced them there would be an audience for RE4. Since 4 is even closer to 5 than Outbreak was to 4, there is even less of an excuse for them not to see there was an audience (or worse, did see and didn't care*).

* No, that's not a "fairness" thing. That's a business thing, as they threw even more sales away. And it doesn't matter how well it sold on the other systems, as more sales means more money.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

RolStoppable said:

I am not going to buy Ocarina of Time 3D either, simply because it is one of the worst Zelda games ever made. 

Not according to..... mostly everyone else. gamerankings.com All Time best, look up to #1

N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Nintendo, 1998
97.48%
25 Reviews

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

so because you cant see 3D it suck LOL

This whole selling out thing, I don't get it. It's like you pledge your allegance to a certain console. Just play your games dude, don't worry yourself about betraying your favorite company or console or whatever. I don't like the idea of people  becoming biased fanboy and worrying about what other consoles are doing and bashing and defending and generally being butthurt every time somebody has a negative opinion of my console of choice. I will agree with the rehashing of old games. That's just pure laziness and if a rehash of OoT is the most anticipated game on a new handheld instead of a brand new game, then that's just sad.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

@lordtheknight  and they outright said RE4 would stay GC exclusive, so that makes them liars, which brings me to my original point, how can someone believe anything they say??? I didnt even use the word fairness, i was just stating that it was stupid to even have it GC exclusive in the first place unless they had some backdoor deal with Ninty at the time