By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 is a technical mess.

I'll start off with the basics.

Platform: 360

Installed: Yes

Hours spent in game: 2.5

Difficulty: Soldier

Jesus Christ guys! Some of you (and the media) have been making out the Crysis 2 is amazing! Y'all tricked me.

I've just spent two and a half hours in the game and I stopped because I'd reached a point were I couldn't handle it anymore and I just needed a breezer. The game is a technical mess and I can't believe no one is criticising Crytek for it, it feels like I'm play an Unreal Engine 3 PS3 port from 2007. I'll just say that the game looks gorgeous, theres no denying that, but it runs like garbage. It also plays better than most shooters that have released in the last year (Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, Black Ops etc).

I'll start with a list of issues I had with the game, some may be small, but others are just ridiculous.

- The texture pop in is just plain bad, I'd be walking and all of a sudden a tree would just appear. It constantly happens with fire, trees, smoke, garbage bag textures, railing, signs, parts of buildings and cars. I don't really mind when it happens in some games, mainly because it's infrequent, but it's nearly constant in Crysis 2 and it's distracting when my eyes flick to the incident on a regular basis. 

- The AI is possibly the dumbest I've played against since Metro 2033. I'd use a silencer and shoot a lone soldier on top of a building, but then every enemy on screen turns my way and shoots straight at me (makes the silencer pointless). I'd just walk up to a random soldier and they'd sometimes just stand there, looking straight at me and not doing anything. The same thing also happened when I jumped on to a building and I just walked around the soldier, he'd follow me, but he wouldn't shoot, despite every other enemy on screen shooting at me. They also rush you way too much, run in the wrong direction or crowd up to each other.

- Enemies just keep getting stuck in the geometry and freaking out, it's happend four times already and in the oddest places. One falls throught he ground and his head sticks out, an alien was stuck in a wall, a soldier was stuck in a sewer fence and another was just stuck on a bus.

- Frame rate is inconsistent, sometimes it's smooth as butter, but then it just drops (Alien crash site early in the game).

- I don't know if it could be counted as a technical issues but the saving in the game pretty much sucks. It's like I'm playing a shooter from 2007. Someone needs to remind Crytek that this is 2011, their game shouldn't have a save system that reminds me of my dredge through 'Black' on the PS2.

- The final and most ridiculous issue is the one which put me over the edge. I start a mission with a gun in my hand and a bunch of enemies right below me. I go down to fight the enemies and what happens? My gun has disappeared, at first I thought it was just a part of the game, but then I died and returned back to the beginning of the mission with my gun in hand. The game glitched my gun out of existence and I couldn't be bothered killing everyone again, so I put it down for a bit.

Crysis 2 is a great 'game', but as a showpiece for a new engine, it's horrible. The gameplay out does any shooter that I've played this year and it does look amazing (despite some really bad textures in some places and the indoor areas looking much better than the outdoor areas). I'm dissappointed with it, my expectations were low, but then everyone kept calling it amazing and my expectations rose, which only made the fall that much harder.

I don't know why so many reviewers have decided to ignore these issues, even though they've brought them up against so many other games in the last year (Enslaved, Homefront, Dead Rising 2, Lords of Shadow), but I can honestly tell you that these issues exist and they shouldn't be ignored.

The games fun, I'm going to continue to play it, but it's not the technical marvel that so many of you on VGChartz and so many people in the media have made it out to be. Hell, it might even get better (technical), but it's usually rare when it happens. I'd still recommend it, but such a lackluster port effort doesn't deserve a purchase at full price.

Does anyone know if the PC version suffers from the same issues or is it a console thing?

Share your thoughts or experiences.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

I noticed few annoying glitches here and there along with some stupid Ai at times but other than that the story, the visuals, the gameplay it delivers not sure about the multiplayer because i havent really gotten into that yet.

I've been annoyed with it too. In a way, it doesn't feel much different than the first game.

The AI spotting you is so odd as they somehow spotted me from such a long distance through fences and other obstacles. Heck, with the tracer ability activated, I noticed that in one level, the AI was spotting me through walls.

Speaking of the AI and geometry, I've noticed that the AI enjoy tripping up on the environment and some die. I watched a guy trip over a street curb to his death right infront of me and everybody else rushes over and are like "DAMN YOU PROHPET!!!"

I agree on some parts, and disagree on others. People here have indeed hyped it too much imo.

IllegalPaladin said:

I've been annoyed with it too. In a way, it doesn't feel much different than the first game.

The AI spotting you is so odd as they somehow spotted me from such a long distance through fences and other obstacles. Heck, with the tracer ability activated, I noticed that in one level, the AI was spotting me through walls.

Speaking of the AI and geometry, I've noticed that the AI enjoy tripping up on the environment and some die. I watched a guy trip over a street curb to his death right infront of me and everybody else rushes over and are like "DAMN YOU PROHPET!!!"

Yea, it's not good. If it didn't happen every minute, I usually wouldn't care. Hell, I play broken games all the time and I have low barrier for entry, but this game was made to blow me away and it's probably the reason why I'm so annoyed by the whole thing.

Also, I'm surprised more people didn't jump into the thread. I should have just titled it 'Halo: Reach vs Killzone 3 vs Crysis 2', I may have gotten a few more posts.

@Nsanity. Yeah, I agree about the visuals and gameplay (haven't played enough to get ther story), good stuff, but the technical issues are significantly hurting the visual experience for me, which is sad.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Around the Network
Aldro said:

I agree on some parts, and disagree on others. People here have indeed hyped it too much imo.

What parts do you disagree with?

i disagree! a AI that spots you from miles away is not dumb! Actually it's REALLY REALLY SMART!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

kowenicki said:

I think you are slightly over playing the issues

But yes it does for sure have some issues

I got stuck in a hole in the floor onece...  which considering it was just afetr a fairly lengthy battle was quite annoying due to the crappy design and implementation of the save system.

Thing is.. for me this pretty much pales into insignificance because the game itself is a damn good game and the visual are top notch.

So I can forgive them the odd gltich here and there.... not many games dont have them these days and is a bit of an issue this gen with the HD consoles.

Yeah, it is a really good game, but the issues are worse because you want it to be better. Like just now, I went back to playing the game and I got stuck on a turret. Then I got up to the tank part and as I'm driving the framerate drops dramatically and then the game freezes and my controller won't stop rumbling, which means I had to turn off the console and start that area again. I'd ignore those issues if the save system was better.

I just think that they could had kept it in development for a few more months and released a beta earlier, then they could have avoided these problems. They would have even avoided the whole Homefront, Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 release schedule and probably could have sold a little better.

Porcupine_I said:

i disagree! a AI that spots you from miles away is not dumb! Actually it's REALLY REALLY SMART!

The AI can also see through walls and randomly disappear and then reappear on top of random things!! It's genius.

I actually hope more people agree with me, because I got really worried that it was my Xbox causing the issues.

I'm glad I decided to wait until steam's summer sale. The AI bugs will probably not be fixed, but at least my expectations won't be that high anymore. Hopefully they'll at least enable save anywhere for the pc version. I hate leaving the pc on all night or gambling on stand by working because it won't allow me to save.

Reviewers are pretty inconsistent in reporting problems with games. Fallout new vegas was reprimanded for its bugs and crashes. DA2 crashed as many times for me as fallout NV, has quests that simply don't work, quest lines that you can't finish if you do it things the wrong order, trophies that won't unlock, and characters getting stuck on scenery while trying to do a jump or roll attack. At least DA2 has an excellent and very frequent autosave feature.