I'll start off with the basics.
Hours spent in game: 2.5
Jesus Christ guys! Some of you (and the media) have been making out the Crysis 2 is amazing! Y'all tricked me.
I've just spent two and a half hours in the game and I stopped because I'd reached a point were I couldn't handle it anymore and I just needed a breezer. The game is a technical mess and I can't believe no one is criticising Crytek for it, it feels like I'm play an Unreal Engine 3 PS3 port from 2007. I'll just say that the game looks gorgeous, theres no denying that, but it runs like garbage. It also plays better than most shooters that have released in the last year (Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, Black Ops etc).
I'll start with a list of issues I had with the game, some may be small, but others are just ridiculous.
- The texture pop in is just plain bad, I'd be walking and all of a sudden a tree would just appear. It constantly happens with fire, trees, smoke, garbage bag textures, railing, signs, parts of buildings and cars. I don't really mind when it happens in some games, mainly because it's infrequent, but it's nearly constant in Crysis 2 and it's distracting when my eyes flick to the incident on a regular basis.
- The AI is possibly the dumbest I've played against since Metro 2033. I'd use a silencer and shoot a lone soldier on top of a building, but then every enemy on screen turns my way and shoots straight at me (makes the silencer pointless). I'd just walk up to a random soldier and they'd sometimes just stand there, looking straight at me and not doing anything. The same thing also happened when I jumped on to a building and I just walked around the soldier, he'd follow me, but he wouldn't shoot, despite every other enemy on screen shooting at me. They also rush you way too much, run in the wrong direction or crowd up to each other.
- Enemies just keep getting stuck in the geometry and freaking out, it's happend four times already and in the oddest places. One falls throught he ground and his head sticks out, an alien was stuck in a wall, a soldier was stuck in a sewer fence and another was just stuck on a bus.
- Frame rate is inconsistent, sometimes it's smooth as butter, but then it just drops (Alien crash site early in the game).
- I don't know if it could be counted as a technical issues but the saving in the game pretty much sucks. It's like I'm playing a shooter from 2007. Someone needs to remind Crytek that this is 2011, their game shouldn't have a save system that reminds me of my dredge through 'Black' on the PS2.
- The final and most ridiculous issue is the one which put me over the edge. I start a mission with a gun in my hand and a bunch of enemies right below me. I go down to fight the enemies and what happens? My gun has disappeared, at first I thought it was just a part of the game, but then I died and returned back to the beginning of the mission with my gun in hand. The game glitched my gun out of existence and I couldn't be bothered killing everyone again, so I put it down for a bit.
Crysis 2 is a great 'game', but as a showpiece for a new engine, it's horrible. The gameplay out does any shooter that I've played this year and it does look amazing (despite some really bad textures in some places and the indoor areas looking much better than the outdoor areas). I'm dissappointed with it, my expectations were low, but then everyone kept calling it amazing and my expectations rose, which only made the fall that much harder.
I don't know why so many reviewers have decided to ignore these issues, even though they've brought them up against so many other games in the last year (Enslaved, Homefront, Dead Rising 2, Lords of Shadow), but I can honestly tell you that these issues exist and they shouldn't be ignored.
The games fun, I'm going to continue to play it, but it's not the technical marvel that so many of you on VGChartz and so many people in the media have made it out to be. Hell, it might even get better (technical), but it's usually rare when it happens. I'd still recommend it, but such a lackluster port effort doesn't deserve a purchase at full price.
Does anyone know if the PC version suffers from the same issues or is it a console thing?
Share your thoughts or experiences.
Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.