By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 graphics debate. An old man point of view.

pots555 said:

Thanks for the replies.  As I aimed to say in my posts, I am only giving my point of view on the evolution of graphics in my gaming life.  This evolution brought me to Crysis 2.  And I think they are the best ones I have seen on the consoles I have played.   I am just voicing my enthousiastic opinion on this little gem of a game.  I would love to have a PS3 to be able to play the exclusives and see the graphics for myself, but I don't. 

Then please accept my apologies, I seem to have misunderstood the meaning of this thread.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
pots555 said:

I am 39 years old.  I have been playing video games a long time now.  I read so many interesting posts declaring that Crysis 2 is, or is not, the best looking game out there.  So, here is my humble opinion on the subject.

When I was a kid, I played games on the Intellivision.  I played bowling a lot.  My character was a purple combination of blocks.  The bowling ball had at least 8 corners.  And yet, I was amazed.

Later on, my brother and I received a Commodore 64.  There was a game out there called The Forbidden Forest.  In it, I could see my blocky character (who now had 3 colors) fight spiders, bees and dragons.  When you finished a level, he would dance on a midi file (I still remember it).  I was amazed.

Then, I got a Sega.  The first game I popped in was The Ren and Stimpy I don't remember what.  The characters were looking like they were supposed to.  I was amazed.

After a long break, I came back to gaming with the Wii.  I played a lot of games and the graphics looked sharp and colorful.  I was amazed.

The next step was the 360.  I bought Alan Wake and the graphics really blew me away.  I could almost not believe the quality troughout the whole game.

And lastly, I acquired an HDTV and bought Crysis 2.  For the first time, I was not only amazed, but almost speachless.  For me, these graphics are such a HUGE improvment over what I saw in my life that I can only say : Good Job to the devs.  And now, as I play this amazing game, I wonder what's next.  So, in the end, Crysis 2 graphics are for me the most awesome thing I have seen in gaming.  That's it.  Thanks for reading.

Well yeah if you put it that way. I'm 31 and had just as many system's. I wasn't speechless,as I've played alot of games this gen.

Euphoria14 said:
pots555 said:

Thanks for the replies.  As I aimed to say in my posts, I am only giving my point of view on the evolution of graphics in my gaming life.  This evolution brought me to Crysis 2.  And I think they are the best ones I have seen on the consoles I have played.   I am just voicing my enthousiastic opinion on this little gem of a game.  I would love to have a PS3 to be able to play the exclusives and see the graphics for myself, but I don't. 

Then please accept my apologies, I seem to have misunderstood the meaning of this thread.

No problems at all.  I guess I should have been clearer in my first post.

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

I think it's great you can appreciate how good games look nowadays. I'm only 28, but I started out gaming on the spectrum and the leap in graphics over the space of two decades is unbelievable. I'm going to be PC gaming in 3D when I can afford the right projector. From Pong to near photo realistic graphics on a 60 inch screen in 3D in the space of about 30 years, glorious!

Calling yourself an old man before you've even lived half your lifespan is a bit depressing though ;-P

Gears of war was the first game I played on HDTV and blew me away at the time. A lot of games have been able to do that again since then. Most recently metro 2033 (pc), gt5 and killzone 3.

I'm looking forward to play crysis 2 when the dx11 patch is out and hopefully a hi-res texture pack. Atm it doesn't look as impressive as metro 2033 did last year.

Anyway replay dead space 2 on your new hdtv, it makes a big difference. Alan wake will blow you away again. Despite being sub HD it still looked amazing. Going from SD tv to HDTV is similar to buying a new pc and replaying your old games on the highest graphic settings. Flight simulator X blew me away all over after I upgraded my pc and I still can't max it. The water effects, 3D clouds and the sunlight glinting of the plane are insane.

Quite a good time to be alive. I started with letters as graphics on the pc with rogue and castle. 'You have been hit by a leprachaun' represented by a capital L. 2 shades of white and ascii text were all the graphics I had.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

I almost forgot how great Doom is. :D

The BuShA owns all!

i wonder what the graphics will be like when im 39 (im 20 now)....then i will get the ps3 out the loft and compare =)

Euphoria14 said:

The joke is that the gameplay has taken a dip further than the graphics have improved. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype