By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is YOUR game of the year..?!

also i forgot to say that for an FPS the story was really awesome

Around the Network

Halo 3 of course^^

Phoenix wright trials and tribulations
close runner ups would be:
Pokemon diamond/pearl
Mario galaxy,
Warioware smooth moves,
Fifa 08,
Excite truck,
Final fantasy 3,

GOD OF WAR II.....or bioshock

definitely super mario galaxy

Around the Network

Rock Band for sure...complete blast!

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

I have bought so many good games this year...Let's see.

Xbox 360:

1. Call of Duty 4
2. Guitar Hero III

Wii:

Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition

I will put MP3: Corruption to the number 1 spot. Metroid series are just something so special.

I don't bother listing my last-gen games (PS2, Xbox, GC) to my collection cause there's too many of them. ;)

I actually put Bioshock in to my "most disappointing" category. I know this isn't true for everyone, and I can explain the disconnect.

I personally do not play games for story. I've said that about a bajillion times on this site, and it remains true. I gave this one a shot in hopes it would change my mind, but instead it simply further cemented my sense of tedium at games as a story telling medium.

So with the (in my opinion) poor story out of consideration, I'm left with a game that has very similar mechanics to many other FPS, and essentially identical mechanics to System Shock 2. Seriously it's so close it isn't even funny. From the perspective of someone interested in Bioshock's story, I can understsand why the game was so great. For someone who has no interest in such things, it was basically a graphical upgrade and a pallatte swap away from being System Shock 2. By contrast, a game like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass was right up my alley: I am completely unconcered by the fact that I've played as Link in about twenty games and saved that stupid princess Zelda every freaking time. Story is irrelevant, and I actually appreciate the fact that the story hasn't changed because I don't want to focus on the story in the first place. However, there were significant control innovations in that game, and I am very intrigued by those.

In short, games can innovate in a lot of ways: graphics, story, controls, and gameplay are the main four. Bioshock was innovative in its graphical presentation and its story, and neither of those interests me very much. A game like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass innovates with its control scheme, which I do like quite a bit. And then a game like Portal innovates in its Gameplay, which is definitely my favorite type of gaming innovation (and thus Portal was my GotY).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Sega Golf Club for the PS3. Total Sales approximately 10,000.

The orange BOX!!!

mM