By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 Face-Off PS3 vs 360 [Digital Foundry]

Dear God, the game is only 1280x720p yet it drops the frame rate all the way down to 14 FPS sometimes. That's kind of unplayable for a FPS game.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

In short, then, Xbox 360 benefits from a 25 per cent resolution boost over the PlayStation 3 version of the game. That's a pretty stark statistic, and while it is true that the action generally looks clearer and not quite so blurred on the Xbox 360, it's also the case that when the game is in full flow, the amount of post-processing effects in play, including camera and object-based motion blur, tends to equalise the visuals somewhat. Quite why there is a resolution difference at all is intriguing. Having fewer pixels to process obviously helps reduce fill-rate concerns, but curiously, notes left within the config files suggest that RAM was also a consideration: apparently 14MB of memory is saved by dropping res (which seems to suggest a hell of a lot of internal buffers being used to compose each frame).

There's little doubt that the Xbox 360 is the cleaner, crisper experience and for the most part it commands a small but significant frame-rate advantage and fewer little glitches; especially outside of combat scenarios, the game just seems to run that much more smoothly. However, there are parts of the game that seem to be brutally unoptimised, bringing the performance level crashing down to the point where the afflicted sections become almost unplayable - a variable 15-20FPS update in an intense fire-fight is hugely disorientating, and this makes Crysis 2 one of the most inconsistent performers released in recent times.

In these situations, it seems that it is the Xbox 360 version that has the most difficulties, though there's no mistaking that both platforms seem to lag badly in much the same areas. Interestingly, the really poor-performing sections do seem isolated to specific areas in the campaign, and from the hive infiltration level onwards things seemed to improve, but it's quite difficult to believe that those areas of the game got through QA without someone, somewhere raising the red flag.

The key to progression through these troublesome areas is to employ stealth rather than a balls-out frontal assault, but in a game that places so much weight on presenting different tactical strategies for potential flashpoints, it's disappointing that it's technical issues that are effectively narrowing down the available options. In conclusion, it's fair to say that Crytek has done enough to prove that Crysis can run on consoles - either of them in fact - and certainly the issues the game has in terms of bizarre glitches, performance drops, geometry pop-in and such-like are hardly exclusive to one platform. On balance, 360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance, but PS3 more than holds its own, bettering the Microsoft platform in some areas.

The crucial thing is that both are phenomenally attractive games, producing effects quite different and in many ways more advanced than anything we've seen elsewhere on console. We all wanted Crysis on console to be an event, a showcase release: by and large, Crytek has delivered, and those cutting edge visuals are backed by a truly impressive game design. However, there's the nagging feeling that a few more months in development could perhaps have ironed out the issues both versions of the game have..

Come on, lets call this right.... 360 slightly edges it.

Read that without tinted specs of either hue and "overall" the 360 just about wins.

According to this you are right, but still doesn't make Crysis 2 what it is claimed to be.

For example the fsp drops from 30 to 20 alone shows that even Killzone 3 could have have upped its graphics if it chose to sacrifice it's consistent 30fps performance.

We all know Killzone 3 would have been ripped to shreds by the media if it dropped to 20fps during big fights.

I believe Crysis 2 scores and reviews are parheavily influenced by hype, especially when ait gets high scores to presentation.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

congrats on the xbox 360 and pc for running the best looking game of our time

so in conclusion its a great looking game, but all the inconsistancies keep it from being the best.

both version are basically the same, with their own pros and cons, but xbox version probably just edges it out.

thats seems to be basically what digital foundry said.

also ign lied

mantlepiecek said:
disolitude said:

3D for this game is a great achievement as it runs in 720p per eye. That is double than what killzone 3 and Motostorm or any 360 game have done so far.

Too bad that the effect it self isn't as impressiove using this Crytek approach on any platform, PC included.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Back to the world of dual video cards and 3D vision I go...

Motorstorm has true 3D in 720p since it runs at 1280x1080p resolution according to Digital Foundry.

Killzone 3 runs at a lower resolution, but has better effects.

Can you post a link for this? I've played motorstorm pacific rift in 3D and that was surely sup 720p with jaggies everywhere.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
mantlepiecek said:
disolitude said:

3D for this game is a great achievement as it runs in 720p per eye. That is double than what killzone 3 and Motostorm or any 360 game have done so far.

Too bad that the effect it self isn't as impressiove using this Crytek approach on any platform, PC included.

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Back to the world of dual video cards and 3D vision I go...

Motorstorm has true 3D in 720p since it runs at 1280x1080p resolution according to Digital Foundry.

Can you post a link for this? I've played motorstorm pacific rift in 3D and that was surely sup 720p with jaggies everywhere.

Read my edit above and

http://twitter.com/digital_foundry/statuses/50107546190622720

mantlepiecek said:
disolitude said:
mantlepiecek said:
disolitude said:

Read my edit above and

Oh, that game isn't out yet lol... ok I never played this.

kowenicki said:

In short, then, Xbox 360 benefits from a 25 per cent resolution boost over the PlayStation 3 version of the game. That's a pretty stark statistic, and while it is true that the action generally looks clearer and not quite so blurred on the Xbox 360, it's also the case that when the game is in full flow, the amount of post-processing effects in play, including camera and object-based motion blur, tends to equalise the visuals somewhat. Quite why there is a resolution difference at all is intriguing. Having fewer pixels to process obviously helps reduce fill-rate concerns, but curiously, notes left within the config files suggest that RAM was also a consideration: apparently 14MB of memory is saved by dropping res (which seems to suggest a hell of a lot of internal buffers being used to compose each frame).

There's little doubt that the Xbox 360 is the cleaner, crisper experience and for the most part it commands a small but significant frame-rate advantage and fewer little glitches; especially outside of combat scenarios, the game just seems to run that much more smoothly. However, there are parts of the game that seem to be brutally unoptimised, bringing the performance level crashing down to the point where the afflicted sections become almost unplayable - a variable 15-20FPS update in an intense fire-fight is hugely disorientating, and this makes Crysis 2 one of the most inconsistent performers released in recent times.

In these situations, it seems that it is the Xbox 360 version that has the most difficulties, though there's no mistaking that both platforms seem to lag badly in much the same areas. Interestingly, the really poor-performing sections do seem isolated to specific areas in the campaign, and from the hive infiltration level onwards things seemed to improve, but it's quite difficult to believe that those areas of the game got through QA without someone, somewhere raising the red flag.

The key to progression through these troublesome areas is to employ stealth rather than a balls-out frontal assault, but in a game that places so much weight on presenting different tactical strategies for potential flashpoints, it's disappointing that it's technical issues that are effectively narrowing down the available options. In conclusion, it's fair to say that Crytek has done enough to prove that Crysis can run on consoles - either of them in fact - and certainly the issues the game has in terms of bizarre glitches, performance drops, geometry pop-in and such-like are hardly exclusive to one platform. On balance, 360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance, but PS3 more than holds its own, bettering the Microsoft platform in some areas.

The crucial thing is that both are phenomenally attractive games, producing effects quite different and in many ways more advanced than anything we've seen elsewhere on console. We all wanted Crysis on console to be an event, a showcase release: by and large, Crytek has delivered, and those cutting edge visuals are backed by a truly impressive game design. However, there's the nagging feeling that a few more months in development could perhaps have ironed out the issues both versions of the game have..

Come on, lets call this right.... 360 slightly edges it.

Read that without tinted specs of either hue and "overall" the 360 just about wins.  No that it matter, its good for both, it seems we have a new king in thew FPS genre visual stakes.  At times sure it dropsthe ball a bit but that is because it is trying to achieve a higher standard... 

So the best looking FPS thus far.... is a multiplat.  hoorah.

Pretty much.

disolitude said:
mantlepiecek said:
disolitude said:

Read my edit above and

Oh, that game isn't out yet lol... ok I never played this.

lol

Another great read from DF. I have the PS3 version and the game is great. The level design and the ability to strategize and make decisions on how you want to approach a given situation make it stand out from the FPS crowd. I would give it a 9.5/10 in gameplay.

Graphically it's a mixed bag. It seems to run stable enough, a bit choppy here and there. Like DF said, the lighting is fantastic and it gives the game a unique look, but overall it seems to be about on par with BlackOps, better in some areas and worse in others. And I did notice right away that the HUD looks stretched and it's kind of annoying, to me. Graphically I would say it's an 8/10.

The MP is fun, it's not my thing, but MP isn't my thing in general, so my disinterest is not indicative of how good Crysyis2's MP may or moy not be. I'm not the right person to judge it.

I would definitely recommed this to anyone who enjoys FPSs, but is looking for a change of pace from the COD titles. It's not revolutionary, by any means, but the gameplay is unique and more importantly it's a lot of fun. 

Edit: I forgot to mention the musical score, it is brilliant, I love it!