By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - George Hotz Runs Away to South America; Lies About Having PSN Account

LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

If you want to make that choice then great for you. You have the choice. Being sued by a corporatioin shouldn't strip you of those choices.

Shit happens in life for whatever reasons, and then you have to change priorities.  And some people get sued by bringing things on themselves.  That will strip you of choices.  And still, no, he doesn't have to live as a monk as you have falsely perceived on others.

I think you're taking what I said to literally. I'm not defending him, but I do think he has the right to take a vacation just like everybody else.

What you're trying to do is make everyone who is reasonably questioning Geohot's actions look bad by claiming that they are saying that he shouldn't "have the right" to go anywhere by being a "monk."  No, I'm (and anyone) not taking you literally.  You are interjecting unnecessary negativity to fuel a false argument.  When I reasonably refuted your tactic, you now make excuses.  And yes, he has the right to take a vacation.  But when you're financial situation changes for whatever reasons, you might have to reassess your priorities.

My priorities are fine. I have that choice because a big company isn't suing me and screwing me out of my own money in legal fees.

Yep.  When you screw around, you get screwed.  It happens.  Just be glad you didn't publicly screw with a corporation's IP.

Whether or not I did screw with a corporation's IP, just because a corporation CLAIMED that I had screwed with their IP, I should be on the no-fly list and g bankrupt in the attempt to defend myself? Your points are completely flawed.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

My priorities are fine. I have that choice because a big company isn't suing me and screwing me out of my own money in legal fees.

Yep.  When you screw around, you get screwed.  It happens.  Just be glad you didn't publicly screw with a corporation's IP.

God forbid anyone should mess with a big corporation. Because corporations are good and are never wrong.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
LivingMetal said:
Grimes said:

God forbid anyone should mess with a big corporation. Because corporations are good and are never wrong.

Dude, that ain't right.  Just look at all the anti-monopolistic lawsuits throughout history.

thranx said:
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Update: The BBC reports that while Hotz is acknowledging he is in fact in South America, the trip was planned "for months" and that he remains in contact with his lawyers. On his blog, Hotz wrote:

Factually, it's true I'm in South America, on a vacation I've had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn't my life.

Either BBC is doing their April Fool's jokes a week early and have Hotz in on the joke as well, or everyone can accept this story as confirmed. 

yes yes ive just read this on N4G and he also claims that he hasnt spent a dime of the donations on this holiday.........

bs

Have any proof to back up your claim or just your hate for Geohot? I mean I know he had absolutly no money before the donations for his lawyer right? How could he have paid for a vacation? Come on now

Just general human nature, so ok he paid for his holiday in november, gets taken to court and needs to raise money to pay for this because he can't afford the costs, whats did he use for spending money on this holiday? $11k goes into his  acount and you honestly think he hasnt spent a penny of it......

LivingMetal said:
thranx said:
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Update: The BBC reports that while Hotz is acknowledging he is in fact in South America, the trip was planned "for months" and that he remains in contact with his lawyers. On his blog, Hotz wrote:

Factually, it's true I'm in South America, on a vacation I've had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn't my life.

Either BBC is doing their April Fool's jokes a week early and have Hotz in on the joke as well, or everyone can accept this story as confirmed. 

yes yes ive just read this on N4G and he also claims that he hasnt spent a dime of the donations on this holiday.........

bs

Have any proof to back up your claim or just your hate for Geohot? I mean I know he had absolutly no money before the donations for his lawyer right? How could he have paid for a vacation? Come on now

So the vacation is more important than financing his legal fees?  Donations or no donations, those legal fees need to be given higher financial priority over a vacation.

EDIT: Also, do you honestly think that everyone who honestly and reasonably believe that geohot is in the wrong, morally and legally, all hate him?

Legal fees are more important in my list of priorities, but if Geohot doesn't agree with me on that, is that wrong?, i don't think so, he wanted to go on a vacation, the US law doesn't forbid it, he went, end of story. The only thing i see wrong (morally) here is that he could be using donation money for vacations (and that's not proven), and if that's the case, the only thing that happens here is that he loses his credibility with the donors.

Around the Network

only guitly men run, nuff said

oniyide said:

And Geohot didn't run :) 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

LivingMetal said:
thranx said:
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

bs

So the vacation is more important than financing his legal fees?  Donations or no donations, those legal fees need to be given higher financial priority over a vacation.

EDIT: Also, do you honestly think that everyone who honestly and reasonably believe that geohot is in the wrong, morally and legally, all hate him?

He already stated he got plenty from the donations for legal fees. Any left over donations after the legal fees are paid will be donated. He had already paid for the vacation. I assumed you hated him cause you seem to have no other reason to accuse him of using the donations for a vacation.

oniyide said:

Do you care to elaborate? because people around the world run for a lot of reasons, to get an olympic record, to escape from the repression of a dictatorship, to try to save themselves from a tsunami, etc., and in this case, he is running from what? a civil case? the law doesn't forbid him to fly to another country while the case is still going, and he has his lawyers showing up to the appointments.

BTW, in civil cases there is generally no concept of a plea of guilty, the judge rules in favor of one of the parties.

thranx said:
LivingMetal said:
thranx said:
phinch1 said:
greenmedic88 said:

bs

He already stated he got plenty from the donations for legal fees. Any left over donations after the legal fees are paid will be donated. He had already paid for the vacation. I assumed you hated him cause you seem to have no other reason to accuse him of using the donations for a vacation.

I can assume you wanted him to win because you are anti-Sony/PS3.  But I'm taking the high road while not accussing you of being too gulible and taking things for face value.