By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - George Hotz Runs Away to South America; Lies About Having PSN Account

Calmador said:

I just want to make one thing clear that may be a misunderstanding. I never intended to convince you that we own games the way developers do. So if you think that that’s what I have been doing, wrong no, not what I was saying. I did say we own games, just not how developers do.

Answer to your question...

“What exactly ARE you stealing when you pirate?”

Basically, what customers pay for... which you use the law to define... a user license. You can recognize that user license as much as you want but it’s undeniable that you are being sold a copy of the game with your purchase. It’s irrefutable to say otherwise. A copy of the game is what is being sold, is that all that is being sold? No, it may also include the game’s case, manual, a warranty, a user license to play, could be a limited edition, and anything else I may have not have mentioned. The point is a copy of the game is the star of the show. A copy of a game is what pirates are gaining without paying … and so I easily recognize that as theft because it’s something that should be paid for. This is regarding only pirates. Still not making sense? … Just go back to the first statement I made “Basically, what customers pay for”

I think this might be as clear as I can possibly be. Please reply to what I said in the above paragraph. It is theft.

(sigh)

About morality… I personally think you have a lot to learn about it considering your stance and you defending Hitler speaks for itself but anyways we don’t need to talk about it in general for this topic [piracy/theft] because you recognized theft (and piracy) from the beginning [period]  I touched upon what I thought about morality only because you mentioned it, so you wouldn’t think I was ignoring you. But then I said quote “ I think the bottom line is that we both realize that theft is an evil thing. You recognized it from the beginning of our talk and didn't question it as non-existent. What you did question however is that if piracy is theft or not." I thought I made it clear with that statement that we didn’t have to go into it.

So please reply to the things I said above the (sigh) You just need to accept it already, we’ve all made mistakes, and thought we were doing things right when in reality we weren’t. 

A copy of the game is NOT being sold. Once again, there's the fallacy of copying a game for somebody whose disc got broken. That's still essentially providing a copy of the game. So why is that not illegal? This part is incredibly simple, I can't believe that you're still trying to argue it.

And by the way, an end-user license can only be replicated by the patent holder itself, so no, theyre not stealing the license either. This is why *newsflash* it's not directly called theft, because there is technically no theft being committed. What is being committed is unlicensed use of intellectual property.

Your argument is showing some serious faults, especially since your defense is that you go by God's word (which would become a completely new argument asking how exactly God tells you these things, but whatever). My information was sourced from my study in the field for my thesis on Ethics and the Digital Economy: The impact of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act on fair use source development, since we were required to investiagte this field around the time that the DMCA was forced to become Australian law under a clause in the 2004 Free Trade Agreement between Australia and the United States. You really should do some research on this, you may learn a thing or two about why things are the way they are, instead of blindly arguing your point.

Don't go putting words into my mouth. I never defended Hitler's actions alt all, but I did, however, point out how close minded your mentality of "morality" actually is. The world is not just black and white. There is not one true, 100% right way to do things. The truth is, a lot of people's moralities are based on what THEY perceive is the greater good.