By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft should sell Rare to Nintendo

I'm not a rational thinker when it comes to Rare. I love them, and I mean it. Seeing the Rare logo in the Intro of a game makes me happy.

Because of that, I'd absolutely love to see them coming back to Nintendo, even if they can't keep up in terms of quality with their old days.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

Rare and it's IPs are much more important to MS and it's desire to broaden it's appeal outside of the FPS base than it is to Nintendo. Yes, games like BK3 and even VP would probably be much more profittable on Wii, but Nintendo already has that audience, MS needs it. That's why they bought Rare in the first place.

mrstickball said:
Only Rare can properly revive IPs, not Nintendo or Microsoft. It's up to the developer, not the publisher.

Unfortunately, your just jealous that the Xbox 360 has Rare, and not the system you own. Rare has done a decent job at the IPs it's made on the X360. Kameo did fit on the X360. The vibrant colors of the game were beautiful (as were Viva Pinata), and the contrasts wouldn't be possible on inferior hardware like the Wii.

The Wii already has platformers, and Rare-esque games. Why not spread the love? The X360 greatly lacks good platformers, and that's why Rare is there. It's a good, important part of Microsoft's strategy.

And what happens if Bk3 isn't a suckfest as every one of the anti-MS people here are arguing? What if it's as good as Ratchet & Clank or Super Mario Galaxy? What then?

Yes only Rare can revive the properties they made.  Unfortunately for your arguement the REAL Rare is with Zoonami, Free Radical, some at Nintendo, and a few other various devs, along with the founders completely gone.  

I'd want Nintendo to own Rare again just for the name and copyright issues, so we could get sweet VC games back, and possibly Nintendo working with Rare for new games...it could work.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Microsoft didn't spend $3 billion on Rare, it spent $375 million. Also Rare was having problems well before Microsoft ever bought them. For example they were losing a lot of staff, especially important/experienced ones like David Doak (Free Radical Entertainment) who worked on Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark. These kinds of people were leaving Rare years before the Microsoft purchase.

It wouldn't have mattered if Nintendo owned them either because no matter how hands on Nintendo was (and I think people are giving them way too much credit when it comes to Rare) it's still the staff/developers at the company that have to make the game and if all the best people were leaving, some in the middle of development of the games, things would still suffer.

The reason Rare was so successful is because it was working it's employees to death with insane hours (even by videogame industry standards) and by running it's employees into the ground like that eventually it was going to catch up to them and it did.

As for Rare making a comeback it's last few games weren't bad, especially when considering the history of some of them and the turmoil the company was experiencing is now hopefully behind it. Lets wait and see how Banjo Kazooie 3 turns out.

As for those saying it should be on the Wii, I just don't get it. Most of them are the same people bashing the 360 for having too many shooters and now when there's a major first party game that isn't a shooter they say it shouldn't be on the 360?

Around the Network

Legend - You can't argue with Wii fanboys. Their logic does not compute :-p

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

If I read correctly, the only person in this thread that said BK 3 should be on the Wii was leo-j, and he is for sure no Wii fanboy, so thank you mrstickball for your very helpful comment here.

Do you have a source about the work situation at Rare Legend11? I didn't know that and haven't heard it yet. You're right about the money though, 3 billion is kinda exagerated.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

well a ninty fan would want them back but microsoft fans would want to keep them,for me i dont mind

Legend11 said: 

The reason Rare was so successful is because it was working it's employees to death with insane hours (even by videogame industry standards) and by running it's employees into the ground like that eventually it was going to catch up to them and it did.

As for Rare making a comeback it's last few games weren't bad, especially when considering the history of some of them and the turmoil the company was experiencing is now hopefully behind it. Lets wait and see how Banjo Kazooie 3 turns out.

As for those saying it should be on the Wii, I just don't get it. Most of them are the same people bashing the 360 for having too many shooters and now when there's a major first party game that isn't a shooter they say it shouldn't be on the 360?

1. How could Rare have overworked its employees when it could never meet a deadline, ever?

2. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was ass. Kameo was meh and PD0 was an average shooter at best (played it all the way through) and was just biding time until more REAL shooters replaced it (even though CoD3 outsold it on 360).

3. I don't think BK3 should be on ANY platform, from a financial standpoint. I'll still try it when it comes out, but it's been WAY too long since the last sequel for enough people to remember it and give it a try on ANY console, Wii included.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Rare isn't what it used to be. They are by no means a bad developer, but let's be honest - the quality of their games now has nothing on their games back on N64 and SNES. As others have said, a lot of the talent left BEFORE Microsoft bought them, though that's not to say new talent won't emerge. As it stands, however, I don't think there would be much advantage to buying them back, nor do I think Microsoft would be willing to sell.

I also think that the mentoring idea has some merit to it. When Rare was big, they had a lot of interaction with Nintendo and I think that was useful for them. Look at Retro and what they've done with the Metroid Prime series under Nintendo's guidance. There's certainly precedent there.