By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ron Paul For President in 2008

Someone who really understand how the FED works please explain to me HOW the current FED system is good?

Around the Network

N-Syte said "Extreme times call for extreme measures"

Ben Franklin once said: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The United States has had to go through much more extreme times than fighting a small group of fundamentalists. At the peak of the Cold War the USSR has hundreds of thousands of nukes pointing in our direction, yet we where able to get through it without giving up the rights we have done now.

N-Syte said:

Yes, the Constitution has been interpreted in ways not originally intended, but that's a far cry from suggesting that half the Bill of Rights has been repealed by fiat (by the current president, no less – he has so much power, not even the Congress, controlled by the opposition party, can stop him). Give me a break. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus and FDR engaged in extreme censorship of the press. Extreme times call for extreme measures, but we are hardly living under martial law.

Just because they were done by Lincoln or FDR doesn't make them right. We were blessed Lincoln was followed by incompetance, resulting in a contraction of presidential power, and I'm no fan of FDR at all.

If the abortion issue were left to the states, it would not be banned across the country just like it was not banned across the country prior to Roe v Wade. The truth is most of “progressive” Europe has more restrictive abortion law than the US. All Roe v Wade did was take the decision out of the hands of the people and left it a gaping wound to be rehashed over and over again election after election. Democracy is a better way to handle these sorts of moral issues.

I mostly agree, save that Democracy ("majority rules") is an AWFUL way to handle moral issues. That's why the founding fathers made sure America was a Republic, NOT a democracy. The majority can favor segregation, slavery, or genocide sometimes.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

white devil said:
cdude1034 said:
loadedstatement said:
stof and Jspence, I have read up. He wants to do away with a lot of the government. It sounds scary, yes. But guess what? 10 years ago we had no Dept. of Homeland Security. Department of Education was less than 30 years ago (Keep in mind, US education is horrible in most places). Dept. of Energy is nearly 30 years old (Gas prices are horrendous). What good are they doing really. Taking our money and wasting it. It would be much more beneficial to leave the money with the consumers. A lot looks good on paper, like I am sure many of these departments did. But in practice, some fail. Communism looked good on paper as well. We all know how that turned out.

Seriously now, do you honestly think we'd be better without any of those?

Especially the Dept of Education. Yes, let's make sure none of our schools have any accountability for anything. Gas prices would be horrendous even without the dept of energy.

The bottom line is that these departments make sure things go where they need to go and that they get there in a timely fashion. (Minus FEMA, they've been nothing but trouble

@ White devil - I wrote in my post he wants to delegate that to the states. But here's the thing, do you think our country isn't Christian enough that they wouldn't ban abortion in EVERY state? Please. It essentially means it will get banned. Do you think segregation is left better to the states? Mississippi still/would have thought so. Does that mean that leaving that decision up to the states is the best of decisions? Naw man.

No, it doesn't. For one, I know for a fact that there isn't much of a chance of abortion getting banned, for example, California, most if not all of New England, and a number of Great Lake states. I agree it's risky, but I'm tired of every new Congress or President talking about blanket banning it. Do you think if Huckabee becomes president, he wouldn't try to federally ban it? It's not like the choices are all that great, but at least at the local level I don't have some douche bag from Arkansas in DC telling Californians how to live. As far as things like segregation, such basic rights are covered in the constitution, which is NOT up to the states to follow or not.

You know for a fact eh? So you've got it down to a science what voters will do? Please, tell me, who will win the parties' respective primaries (in each state, too)?

I agree that it probably won't get banned in CA, but that's the only place I feel even remotely confident in.

You see though, I don't like huckabee either. I don't like any of the Republican candidates. Almost all of them are trying to separate themselves from Bush, but the bottom line is, they're still from the same party and support the same basic ideologies.

Here's something to chew on; If states could individually decide what Federal laws they chose to follow, wouldn't that lead to both 1) Mass immigration from state to state, depending on ideologies (for instance, if abortion was banned in Arkansas, but not Tennessee)? and 2) Hatred for certain states by other states (well, a degree even further than what we have now.)?

Instituting that kind of policy only separates the United States further from eachother. We're different STATES of the same UNION, not separate countries. We need federal laws to keep us all together.

@N-Syte - I quoted the guy from Digg because his opinion closely mirrors my own. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

See, I'm not from America, but the way I see it - even if he is a crazy loon with some crazy ideas for the US, he can't change them without the support of congress anyway.

Why the hell the American people wont wake up and vote for someone who is essentially a 'good guy' at heart is just amazingly bizarre to me.

Around the Network

Reasonable people can debate the merits of whether Iraq was the appropriate front to launch a war on ideological extremists. Certainly history will decide whether the whole effort was foolhardy or not (while I trust your certainty that the whole thing is folly is sincere, I would like to wait a bit before making a final verdict). But I think saying that a real and grave threat does not exist is a bit naive. Having thousands of nukes pointed at the West was something to be feared (and don't they still have quite a few pointed this way), but since a "reasonable" people possessed those weapons, mutually assured destruction managed the situation as well as any alternative. Unfortunately, it does not work against a faceless enemy with a single bomb.

OriGin said:
See, I'm not from America, but the way I see it - even if he is a crazy loon with some crazy ideas for the US, he can't change them without the support of congress anyway.

Why the hell the American people wont wake up and vote for someone who is essentially a 'good guy' at heart is just amazingly bizarre to me.

Because being a "good guy" doesn't run the country :-\.

Currently playing: Civ 6

cdude1034 said:
OriGin said:

Because being a "good guy" doesn't run the country :-.

Dont you think it is a step above a lying, deceiving, Christian cowboy? 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

N-Syte said:
Reasonable people can debate the merits of whether Iraq was the appropriate front to launch a war on ideological extremists. Certainly history will decide whether the whole effort was foolhardy or not (while I trust your certainty that the whole thing is folly is sincere, I would like to wait a bit before making a final verdict). But I think saying that a real and grave threat does not exist is a bit naive. Having thousands of nukes pointed at the West was something to be feared (and don't they still have quite a few pointed this way), but since a "reasonable" people possessed those weapons, mutually assured destruction managed the situation as well as any alternative. Unfortunately, it does not work against a faceless enemy with a single bomb.

Iraq wasn't a faceless enemy with a single bomb. It was a relatively rational tyrant who knew America would rape the shit out of him who had no bomb. I understand the idea of letting history judge, but I believe it's already spoken. What was our rationale for going there? WMD's. There were none. Then it became a connection with 9/11. There was none. And now it's al Queda, when it's actually mostly home grown groups that rose up AFTER we went there. History has spoken. Two of my best friends are in that shithole because of Bush's lies. Altogether theres something like 1 million people dead, many more displaced. I don't see how anyone can argue that history hasn't already judged this Iraq War as the biggest mistake America has made since Vietnam.

cdude1034 said:
white devil said:
cdude1034 said:
loadedstatement said:
stof and Jspence, I have read up. He wants to do away with a lot of the government. It sounds scary, yes. But guess what? 10 years ago we had no Dept. of Homeland Security. Department of Education was less than 30 years ago (Keep in mind, US education is horrible in most places). Dept. of Energy is nearly 30 years old (Gas prices are horrendous). What good are they doing really. Taking our money and wasting it. It would be much more beneficial to leave the money with the consumers. A lot looks good on paper, like I am sure many of these departments did. But in practice, some fail. Communism looked good on paper as well. We all know how that turned out.

Seriously now, do you honestly think we'd be better without any of those?

Especially the Dept of Education. Yes, let's make sure none of our schools have any accountability for anything. Gas prices would be horrendous even without the dept of energy.

The bottom line is that these departments make sure things go where they need to go and that they get there in a timely fashion. (Minus FEMA, they've been nothing but trouble

@ White devil - I wrote in my post he wants to delegate that to the states. But here's the thing, do you think our country isn't Christian enough that they wouldn't ban abortion in EVERY state? Please. It essentially means it will get banned. Do you think segregation is left better to the states? Mississippi still/would have thought so. Does that mean that leaving that decision up to the states is the best of decisions? Naw man.

No, it doesn't. For one, I know for a fact that there isn't much of a chance of abortion getting banned, for example, California, most if not all of New England, and a number of Great Lake states. I agree it's risky, but I'm tired of every new Congress or President talking about blanket banning it. Do you think if Huckabee becomes president, he wouldn't try to federally ban it? It's not like the choices are all that great, but at least at the local level I don't have some douche bag from Arkansas in DC telling Californians how to live. As far as things like segregation, such basic rights are covered in the constitution, which is NOT up to the states to follow or not.

You know for a fact eh? So you've got it down to a science what voters will do? Please, tell me, who will win the parties' respective primaries (in each state, too)?

I agree that it probably won't get banned in CA, but that's the only place I feel even remotely confident in.

You see though, I don't like huckabee either. I don't like any of the Republican candidates. Almost all of them are trying to separate themselves from Bush, but the bottom line is, they're still from the same party and support the same basic ideologies.

Here's something to chew on; If states could individually decide what Federal laws they chose to follow, wouldn't that lead to both 1) Mass immigration from state to state, depending on ideologies (for instance, if abortion was banned in Arkansas, but not Tennessee)? and 2) Hatred for certain states by other states (well, a degree even further than what we have now.)?

Instituting that kind of policy only separates the United States further from eachother. We're different STATES of the same UNION, not separate countries. We need federal laws to keep us all together.

@N-Syte - I quoted the guy from Digg because his opinion closely mirrors my own.

I don't have it down to a science. However, a whole slew of states rejected a bunch of measures aimed at restricting abortion, some to the point of practically banning it, in 2006. Those were by popular votes as well.

States don't get to choose which laws they get to follow. They HAVE to follow the constitution, and whatever amendment the majority of the states agree on, and everything else is up the states. That doesn't mean things like slavery and segregation is okay. That's banned in the constitution, which is the one federal document all states have to follow no matter what. That's what constitutionalists want.