By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ron Paul For President in 2008

The_vagabond7 said:
He doesn't believe in evolution for one. We don't need a president that denies common scientific knowledge. That is scary to me.

So how do you think that would affect a Ron Paul administration? Be honest.

This may help you frame your answer (it's Ron Paul describing his position on evolution):

I think issues are more complicated than "X does/doesn't believe in Y." This is exactly why I think people think he's nuts, because they read the headlines and listen to the soundbite answers, and don't think it all the way through. Like I said back on page 4, I have no problem with someone disagreeing with Paul's positions, but you have to understand his position before you can disagree with it.

Also, FYI I would never vote for someone who doesn't believe in evolution for a school board position. If your next argument is that "the President controls the biggest school board in the country," stop and think about what Paul wants to do to the department of education. I promise you that evolution is not part of the agenda. :)

Around the Network

A transcription of the gist of the question, and his complete answer: 

Q. "All of the candidates were asked if they believed the theory of evolution to be true, and [muttering] I need to see [muttering] do you think it to be true, or should it be false?

A. "Well, first I thought it was a very inappropriate question, you know, for the presidency to be decided upon a scientific matter. And, uh, I think it’s a theory -- the theory of evolution -- and I don’t accept it, you know, as a theory.  And it really doesn't bother me, it's not the most important issue for me to make a difference in my life to understand the exact origin.  I think the creator that I know, you know, created us, each and every one of us and created the universe, and the precise time and manner and uh, and all, I just don’t think we’re at the point where anybody has absolute proof on either side.  So I just don't, ah, if that were the only issue, quite frankly, I would think it's an interesting discussion, I think it's a theological discussion, and I think it's fine, and we can have our [opinions?] -- if that were the issue of the day, I wouldn't be running for public office."

1.  He doesn't like being called upon as a Presidential candidate to proclaim his agreement or disagreement with scientific consensus.  OK. 

2.  He rejects the theory of evolution.  Nice and direct, I respect that.

3.  "The exact origin", "the precise time and manner" of the origin of the universe and life is not important in his life.  Wait, wait, wait!  What does this have to do with evolution?  The origin of life and its evolution are two entirely different things, let alone the origin of the universe!  Even if God did create life, that doesn't preclude the possibility that God chose to create single-celled organisms hundreds of millions of years ago, instead of Adam and StEve six thousand years ago (or whatever Ron Paul believes, if not that). 

4.  Nobody has absolute proof on either side.  Well, I do wonder what he would consider absolute proof, considering that at this point evolution is so intertwined with various fields of natural science that if it were wrong in a major way almost that whole body of scientific knowledge would come crashing down.  [edit:  And also considering that evolution has been scientifically observed as a phenomenon in real life situations.  Although he did say that he rejects the theory, which could possibly mean he accepts the observable fact but rejects that it validates the theory.]

5.  He thinks it's a theological discussion.  No.  No, actually, it's not.  He said himself that it was a scientific matter just a minute ago.  If anyone thinks it's a theological discussion, it's because the science conflicts with his theology. 

Honestly, though, Ron Paul's beliefs on evolution aren't really extraordinary at all compared to his Republican opponents, and they're not at all what I'm most worried about in him. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Well, Ron Paul does seem like a Lincoln president-type to me. If he were to become President, that is. And if there were another Civil War. Hehe.

The BuShA owns all!

Final-Fan said:

Honestly, though, Ron Paul's beliefs on evolution aren't really extraordinary at all compared to his Republican opponents, and they're not at all what I'm most worried about in him.

That's the best part of your post.  :)

The thing about evolution is that in politics, "evolution" does not refer specifically to the theory of evolution, it refers to a view of the universe.  The common misconception (which Paul seems to have) is that you either believe in evolution or you believe in God, but not both.  I think what his response most reveals is that he simply hasn't spent time examining the theory of evolution from a scientific perspective, which in no way invalidates him as a Presidential candidate for me.

You guys will love this:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/05/granite-state-republicans-pull-debate-support/

January 5, 2008
Posted: 11:55 AM ET

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) — The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Supposedly Paul is at 14% support in New Hampshire.  Its going to be interesting.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
Vertigo-X said:
Well, Ron Paul does seem like a Lincoln president-type to me. If he were to become President, that is. And if there were another Civil War. Hehe.

The Civil War was totally James Buchanan's fault.