By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 review thread

Skeeuk said:
Aldro said:

For fucks sake people, Uncharted 2 is better looking than Killzone 3 LOL

well in art it is but in tech grunt KZ3 is better, TBH though the snow levels in uncharted 2 are phenominal. i doubt crysis 2 has acheived that type of render

I disagree in tech grunt as well. If you look at the tech Uncharted is far more polished. There are less glitches, higher resolution textures and everything. I mean look at the elemental effects in Uncharted 2 vs Killzone 3. Snow In uncharted vs killzone. Killzone just a texture. Uncharted it actually sticks to your feet. Uncharted is defiantly ahead in tech. Animations are smooth great lip sync. Uncharted 2's art style is more cartoon looking but they do that on purpose and Killzone has more of a dark realistic look but I'm telling you over all Uncharted comes out on top.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
slowmo said:

Not ALL 360 fans are celebrating, in fact I'd say it's less than 5 but I haven't counted specifically.

I'm pretty sure the framerate issues aren't that bad or it would affect the scores too.  As for the AI I'll comment when I've seen them in action but I think you might be painting a rather extreme picture there.

There hasn't been 100 reviews released yet so once again you're exagerating the truth at best.

If this bothers you so much then it really is best not to post, you're only fueling the fire for those who'll happily pounce on your frustration.

i bet that selnor is giving a party like this in his house :

can you invite me selnor ? 

It's not a party without The Situation!

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

Crytek managed to squeeze Cry Engine 3 onto the consoles while maintaining such extraordinary level of detail? But this world sits next to Uncharted 2's as the most detailed and well-expressed yet seen on our TVs.http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-22-crysis-2-review?page=2

Eurogamer still says it’s next to Uncharted 2 which to many people is still the best looking console game. I know that was posted earlier but people seemed to turn it around and make it sound negative. That’s a huge honor. Cgi says the walls look flat up close in Crysis but yet Killzone 3 suffers from this same thing and it’s really liner. There are walls in killzone 3 that are so low res that they look pixilated and when you shoot them they don't even have a bullet decal. Every game is going to have low res textures this gen. Still doesn't take away from the lighting and all the other stuff going on in the game.

ethomaz said:
CGI-Quality said:
ethomaz said:
selnor said:
ethomaz said:
selnor said:

Machinima and Gamezone definitively say Crysis 2 is the new benchmark.

Gamezone not said anything near and Machinima said "PC Becnmark nothing about consoles.

Dont be silly. Machinima are talking about all 3. Gamero is who I meant.

"The PC version (that we saw played across three monitors) is absolutely incredible, the new benchmark in game graphics, and the fact it works so effectively on consoles is pretty staggering."

Sorry... Machinima are talking about PC version.

And please, can you provide me a link to Gamero/Gamespro review?

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/218564/review-crysis-2/

They don't actually mention anything in the way of graphics that's not typical for a review. They do say that the PC version is clearly more detailed and that the PS3 and 360 versions are "virtually identical", but nothing in the way of "console benchmark" or "best on consoles".

So where Selnor found this part:

selnor said:

Gamespro says

Crysis 2 is an astounding technical achievement. It’s one of the best-looking games ever, and it knows how to bring the spectacle. Its single-player provides a playground for the joyous nanosuit powers, although some buggy AI and generic aliens keep the campaign from soaring as high as it could have. The multiplayer, meanwhile, is a fantastic buffet of playstyles that rewards the creative player

I have no idea.

also where did eurogamer say it has the best graphics

just play the damn game its looking like a good title to pick up, with killzone 3, crysis 2 and socom 4 round the corner its going to be a neat start to 2011 on ps3:)

can anybody confirm crysis 2 multiplayer yet how many players does it support? im hearing 6 v 6 from rumours!

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

As expected the game sucks thanks to consoles... not surprised at all.

Bit-Tech - 7/10  aka about what I'd give it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-360/2011/03/22/crysis-2-xbox-360-review/1

What we find we’re left with then is a game which regularly flits between extremes, both positive and negatives. Huge arenas balanced out by average graphics; impressive tactical potential balanced out by woeful AI; simplified Nanosuit powers contrasted with increased customisation options. Playing it we often found ourselves waxing between controller wringing fury (‘How did that enemy spot me?!’) and moments where we paused the game to sing its glory (‘Harry! I just kicked a tank to death!’).

Drawing a line through that to find the average, we’re forced to admit that Crysis 2 is an entertaining and exciting shooter – though also a stupid one. We had fun playing it and that’s provoked us to round the score up from the six we would have otherwise given it, but we don’t expect Crysis 2 to supply the longevity that the original game did.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

CGI-Quality said:
Skeeuk said:
CGI-Quality said:

One drawback to the visuals - many walls are flat up close. It's got some texture detail here and there, but not as much as I thought it would. I'm impressed thus far though (the opening REALLY got me).

does it have kinda flat shaded walls in saturated coulours akin to mirrors edge? or are they quite detailed

They are detailed from a distance, but then you get up close and they lack the crispness of walls seen in the likes of Gears of War 2 or God of War III. In fairness, Crysis 2 is significantly more open than them though.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Explain what walls you are talking about because IMO I think Crysis 2 walls, bricks, etc look the best out of every game I've played close up. Super close up every single game this gen looks a bit off. Its because of bumpmapping. Its only going to look so good. No matter how high res of a texture you use it will still look flat if looked at in the right angle because its only a one poly flat plane with two textures positioned on top of each other. One texture is desaturated which creates the bumpmapping. Unless someone actually takes the time to model each brick in order to create dimension, etc then walls will always look flat at the right angle.

mantlepiecek said:
Aldro said:
Aldro said:

Gamereactors editor never said that in the Swedish review and thats a poor translation. He also claimed that Uncharted 2 was better looking, I HAVE THE SOURCES, WHY WONT YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT?! Do you really think sitting in your own shell and ignoring facts is the way to get respect?

IGN based on the 360 review, Sure.

Gametrailers, no. Even gave KZ3 a higher score I believe. "Arent far behind ". I assume KZ3 and Uncharted 2 are miles behind? GTFO!

Josytiq, FPS DUDE FPS NOT CONSOLE GRAPHICS OVERALL! "FPS built around a plot of an alien invasion, give or take a few, it's also the most beautiful" FPS FPS FPS!!

Strategy Informer - One.. One of the most polished, but ill let you have it.

Eurogamer ..matching Uncharted 2 doesnt mean its better. Although Uncharted 3 is coming >:D, so ill let you have it!

EDIT: I see you added some, lets go again!
Cynamite - Okay.
1up - as its predecessor. On What? Crysis 1 on low wasn't exactly godlike kid.
Spazio - Ok
360 achievements - Bullshit. Who says console games had reached a plateu doesnt mean the game rapes everything.
MS Xbox World - .....?New kid -> Great graphically game is here! How is that the best? Really man what the fuck?

Gonna quote myself here, Based on what I said, these are the following sites who really claim it to be the best console graphics to date:
IGN 360 Review
Cynamite
Spazio

..I'd give it to 3, possibly PERHAPS Eurogamer and Strategy Informer.

So thats about 5.. out of 26 reviews. Which makes it a percentage of ...19%

LOL CONSOLE KING MY ASS.

Eurogamer has given the edge to Uncharted 2. Its next to Uncharted 2 in level of detail which pretty much means Uncharted 2 is better even now.

I don't see how someone can interpret it any other way?

Uncharted 2 in no way shape or form looks better than Crysis 2. The funny thing is I was over at my friend's house about an hour ago and there were 4 of us comparing the best looking games. After playing Crysis 2 for a bit on the 360 we popped in Uncharted 2 to do a little comparison. We all came to the conclusion that although Uncharted 2 has textures that are on par with Crysis 2, the enemy character models, explosions, water effects, and fire are just plain bad compared to Crysis 2's. Play Uncharted 2 again and pay attention to the fire, its flat looking. Shoot the water, it creates no ripples with very little pixelated splash. Look at the enemy character models, somewhat boxy and not very detailed.

I'm sure Uncharted 3 will fix these things but UC2 is not as good as you remember. Great looking game, but its been surpassed by more than one game. Killzone 3 looks better as well.

CVG

Uppers

The best looking FPS ever

Fantastic, free-form combat

Spectacular set-pieces

Intelligent choice of approaches to each battle

Promising multiplayer

Downers

A confusing opening

Narrative is often uninvolving

Score 9.1

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/294813/crysis-2-xbox-360-review/

CGI-Quality said:
damefan said:
CGI-Quality said:

They are detailed from a distance, but then you get up close and they lack the crispness of walls seen in the likes of Gears of War 2 or God of War III. In fairness, Crysis 2 is significantly more open than them though.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Explain what walls you are talking about because IMO I think Crysis 2 walls, bricks, etc look the best out of every game I've played close up. Super close up every single game this gen looks a bit off. Its because of bumpmapping. Its only going to look so good. No matter how high res of a texture you use it will still look flat if looked at in the right angle because its only a one poly flat plane with two textures positioned on top of each other. One texture is desaturated which creates the bumpmapping. Unless someone actually takes the time to model each brick in order to create dimension, etc then walls will always look flat at the right angle.

There is bump mapping, but not on every wall. The first walls in the first level, for instance, are flat. There are quite a few areas that are flat.

Yes, if you get extremely close in other games, they will look flat. But in Crysis 2, you don't have to get but so close to see they aren't as bumped as walls in other games in the genre. That's one main reason I wouldn't credit it as the best looking console game (besides texture pop-in, some low-res shadowing, and spotty reflections). The ligting is superb and some of the water effects are top notch though.

All-in-all, the game looks good, but it is not without glaring, visual flaws.

I would disagree with you about not being bump mapping. I guarantee there is bump mapping on every wall. There are varying degrees of bump mapping. Not every bump map is as visible as the other. Certain colors and textures aren't going to have as pronounced bump mapping as other because the colors are lighter. In order to have pronounced bump mapping you need to have a texture which has a pronounced light and a pronounced dark in the texture or colors. All bump mapping does it push the lights forward and the darks backward, but if you have a light wall this effect won't be very pronounced if any. Still I guarantee they put some sort of bump mapping on every wall. It only takes a few more clicks in Maya.