By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jaffe: Xbox 720, PS4 Will Mark The Last Console Cycle

Yep Gotta Agree.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

Wow. Consoles may stop existing in the traditional sense of what we know since straming games not only eliminates the need for a disc, but eliminates the need for hard drive space or any physical console at all.

True change will need to take place for the next- next gen.

the Xbox 1080 and PS5 will need to be somehting different entirely.

It seems we are literally on the path to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRJXLu3YVpM&feature=related

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

ssj12 said:
badgenome said:

It's slightly surreal to agree with Jaffe on something, but that's what I think, too. It seems like Sony and Microsoft are looking to get PSN and Live on as many devices as possible. Eventually, the network rather than the hardware may be the "platform."

They already are their own platforms, just like Steam is its own platform. Basically its becoming possible to have two platforms on one device.

Yeah, but you can still say "Playstation" and people think of a console. Going forward, that's what I think will change. Steam seems a pretty good indicator that even on an open platform like PC, people will gravitate towards a more closed platform-on-a-platform if it's a good one. Valve has done a really good job of making Steam enticing, even without many (if any) exclusive games.

Slimebeast said:
Jay520 said:

So what will happen to VGchartz??

Haha, good question!

Sux with all this digital download and cloud gaming. I want gaming to be kept on traditional consoles and physical copies and nothing else.

Wont happen, PC has already demonstrated that digital gaming is very possible and can be a strong market. Even industries that for years held onto physical media, music and movies, are transitioning to digital media. Movies will take longest of all industries to go all digital because of ever growing file sizes and eventually UHD and SUHD resolutions (1440p to 4k p).

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

badgenome said:
ssj12 said:
badgenome said:

It's slightly surreal to agree with Jaffe on something, but that's what I think, too. It seems like Sony and Microsoft are looking to get PSN and Live on as many devices as possible. Eventually, the network rather than the hardware may be the "platform."

They already are their own platforms, just like Steam is its own platform. Basically its becoming possible to have two platforms on one device.

Yeah, but you can still say "Playstation" and people think of a console. Going forward, that's what I think will change. Steam seems a pretty good indicator that even on an open platform like PC, people will gravitate towards a more closed platform-on-a-platform if it's a good one.

Its because people do not have to remember a dozen passwords and know their media is safe.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jay520 said:

Haha, good question!

Sux with all this digital download and cloud gaming. I want gaming to be kept on traditional consoles and physical copies and nothing else.

Wont happen, PC has already demonstrated that digital gaming is very possible and can be a strong market. Even industries that for years held onto physical media, music and movies, are transitioning to digital media. Movies will take longest of all industries to go all digital because of ever growing file sizes and eventually UHD and SUHD resolutions (1440p to 4k p).

Okay but how can we fight this? Can we prolong the era of physical media somehow?

Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
Slimebeast said:
Jay520 said:

Haha, good question!

Okay but how can we fight this? Can we prolong the era of physical media somehow?

shut down the internet? i think physical media will end up falling into an expensive niche market. It wont 100% die, it just wont be as prominent as it has been.

edit: its like vinyl records. Its niche now, but its market still exists and does spike up every once in a while. It is still a superior piece of audio tech for a major reason. If Blu-ray audio took the market like it should be or the high end audio codecs take over the worthless mp3 codecs you might be able to keep physical music around for a while. But people prefer music files to be under 10mbs so we wont ever see good digital audio as "omg that song is 70MBs, thats to big of a file for my 10mbps internet to handle" mentality people have.

Mr Khan said:

Given how drastically PSPGo failed, how could Sony seriously be considering going back to that, even 8 years or so from now?

1. pspGo failed 2 years in the past while this article is talking 10ish years in the future.  Besides, much of the issue with the pspGo wasn't that people won't download but that the pspGo didn't give you access to all of the psp's library a very glaring issue.

2. Exhibt A: music sales.  physical sales of music dropped below 50% in 2009 in favor of digital.

3. Don't even bother with the file size argument, netflix streaming, itunes apps, xbla, psn, wiiware, OnLive all point to means of digital distribution already availible and the services are only going to get better.

4. We are already well on our way into digital distribution.  EA just critizied NPD citing 1/5 of their revenue is going to be digital this year.

so in conclusion, physical sales are obviously not going to go away over night just like CDs didn't go away over night but the market trend is clear ... we are moving to a digital distribution in all forms of media; video games included.

ssj12 said:
badgenome said:

Yeah, but you can still say "Playstation" and people think of a console. Going forward, that's what I think will change. Steam seems a pretty good indicator that even on an open platform like PC, people will gravitate towards a more closed platform-on-a-platform if it's a good one.

Its because people do not have to remember a dozen passwords and know their media is safe.

That might be a nice convenience, but I think Steam's great deals and large community has a lot more to do with it. The community is probably the biggest draw of all. I always see people bitch about paying for Live when most of the games are on PS3 or PC with free online multiplayer, but they continue to do it because that's where their friends play.

kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:

Given how drastically PSPGo failed, how could Sony seriously be considering going back to that, even 8 years or so from now?

1. pspGo failed 2 years in the past while this article is talking 10ish years in the future.

2. Exhibt A: music sales.  physical sales of music dropped below 50% in 2009 in favor of digital.

3. Don't even bother with the file size argument, netflix streaming, itunes apps, xbla, psn, wiiware, OnLive all point to means of digital distribution already availible and the services are only going to get better.

4. We are already well on our way into digital distribution.  EA just critizied NPD citing 1/5 of their revenue is going to be digital this year.

so in conclusion, physical sales are obviously not going to go away over night just like CDs didn't go away over night but the market trend is clear ... we are moving to a digital distribution in all forms of media; video games included.

1. the PSPgo was more testing the waters of the market. The PSN shows that market exists, its just not big enough for full digital handheld consoles yet.

2 - 4. read my posts above. physical music will never actually die. Even vinyl records still have a fairly strong niche market that has constant resergances due to people's mentalities on digital file size.