By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Retail Observations

Went to the same best buy that I went to during the Wii explosion. The Wii software was completely picked through. There was not alot of anything except SMG(that got 50 or so sunday, and I would say they still had 25). One thing I think people have started to do this week is they have realized that a Wii is not going to be found anytime soon so they are buying a couple of games and controllers and games to prove to their kids they are still going to get one. I really don't know how much affect that this will have on sales but I did talk to three people who were buying stuff W/O owning a Wii. All three were Moms ages 28-35.

As far as hardware goes, they had the usual 6 foot high square stack of PS3's and butt load of Arcade and a few Pro, but no elite(I did see an elite at Walmart however). DS's went 0 white 2 black 0 pink 10 red(recent shipment). This is compared to 2 weeks ago they had over 70 DS's(and have been recieving steady shipments). The Wii Zapper is still VERY elusive.... been 2 weeks since I have laid my eyes on one(besides Wii Explosion).

Talked to workers at Walmart (It was rough)
They recieved 32 Wiis on Tuesday and 41 yesterday(it was my luck today was the day they got 0)They expect another shipment tomorrow, and possibly saturday (I will be working). She said the Wiis never even reach the floor.... people grab them off the Cart as they bring it out...

I don't know if every walmart has been getting this many, this walmart is in an upper middle class area, so it may get slightly more, but who knows. With what ioi says is true about 700k being shipped as of Tuesday night, and knowing how many Walmarts there are... Next tuesday we will be looking at numbers over 1 million in the US alone for Wii sales. And that is assuming Walmart is the only store getting a steady stream of Wiis. I have heard Targets were getting smaller shipment too, from UPS truck and whatever... All I know is... be prepared : )

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

Hmmm... I don't want to jump to any far-ranging conclusions, given that this is all anectodal evidence. Still, if retailers are carrying very high amounts of PS3 inventory, that could have significant effects in the first quarter of 2008. Remember, Sony is still on record as selling (to retailers) 11m PS3s in their current fiscal year, which ends in March. If retailers are overloaded with inventory, that's going to limit the potential for channel-stuffing to make the fiscal numbers look better. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:
Hmmm... I don't want to jump to any far-ranging conclusions, given that this is all anectodal evidence. Still, if retailers are carrying very high amounts of PS3 inventory, that could have significant effects in the first quarter of 2008. Remember, Sony is still on record as selling (to retailers) 11m PS3s in their current fiscal year, which ends in March. If retailers are overloaded with inventory, that's going to limit the potential for channel-stuffing to make the fiscal numbers look better. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was thinking the same thing. If retailers still have massive quantities of product in January, the likelihood of them ordering more in Q1(Jan-Mar) is very low. And if they have to run deep discounts to clear them, they will be hesitant to restock quickly.

I expect Nintendo's retailer sales to blow Sony and MS out of the water for Q108(Jan-Mar). Nintendo will still be in demand plus the retailers need to restock. 

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Nov 2007 to 16th Dec 2007:

ConsoleWiiPS3X360PSPDSPS2
America

I could be wrong, but I suspect that between the new models, the price reduction, and the sales history of the PS2 many retailers in North America probably expected the PS3 to sell 2 Million units in November and December; this would mean that they would still have half of their holiday inventory. I suspect that if this is true you will probably see some pretty smoking deals on the PS3 soon.

Holy smokes, the Wii Explosion is insane. I can't wait to view the final numbers next week.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

ok did some quick calculations for Walmart Wii sales this week..

Ok there are 2 walmart with 15 mintutes of my house (opposite directions)

each one is getting at least 3 shipments this week and have had 2 already.

Walmart one has gotten 32 and 41
Walmart two has gotten 28 and 33

I am assuming that the third will be similar in size and one said they could get a fourth one saturday.

okay so to be sure that I do not over estimate I am going to be REALLY conservative and say the Average amount of Wii per shipment is 22 there are 4078 Walmarts in US and Canada (per Wikipedia)

After figuring these numbers if it safe to Assume that Walmart ALONE has sold or will have sold 269,148 wiis. This remember this is very conservative, if I based it off the shipments my Walmarts are getting it would be 409,839...
Either combine this with the fact ioi said that 700,000 were sold as of tuesday night we have sold a low ball number of 880,329 and that is assuming that NO other store but Walmart are getting any shipments after the massive sunday explosion. Which is not true because I have heard Target and TRU have been getting smaller shipments(under 20) all week. I am expecting around 1-1.3 million for NA Wii hardware sales after looking at this data...

psn- tokila

note in my previous post- I figured the first walmart shipment was already figured into ioi's number so I multiplied my 269 number by .67 then added it.

psn- tokila

souixan said:
Brick & Atlantic City Best Buy & Circuit City, Toms River Target and Walmart and Toy R us.
Keep in mind where supply was "large" I only averaged I was Christmas shopping and thus in a bit of a rush to be counting each additional console except where visible stock was low

Bestbuy = Pleanty of PS3's about 60 mostly 40GB models but several 80GB as well at each bestbuy(they're 40 miles apart) 0 Wiis 0 DS's at best buy 15 PSP's(mostly the old "core" unit but 1 was the special star wars one) 360 = 0 core 6 elite 15 "Arcade" around 40 Premium around 80 and countless Halo eddition(I mean lot's... they had them back on the shelf with games, on display with the others 360's and a bunch up front near register.)

Target = About 8PS3's(it's all the room in the case the guy told me they had "enough" and laughed when I asked about stock 7 40GB's and 1 80 on display. 0 Wiis 1 Pink DS 2 PSP's 8 360's on Display(same case as PS3 but other side) 1 Elite 5 Premium 1 Arcade 1 Halo edition on display.

Walmart = 5 PS3's all 80 except 1 thats about the limit of their space. 0 Wii 5 DS - 2 Pink 0 White 1Red/black 2 Black 10 360's on display they had the arcade editions sitting under the 360 game rack not cased up for some reason(very un-walmart like)8 total with 1 of them being an original Core(why would they even try?) 2 Elite 5 Premium 0 Halo edition on display.

Toys R us = 7 PS3's 5 80 2 40 0 Wii 5 Ds(all pink is pink not popular?) 0 PSP on display but they had them behind the counter 5 360 All Halo edition I guess they're pushing them but I did see an elite and premium in the storage. Granted this isn't every store that sells them in my area but it's the ones I was in to grab gifts and Walmart I ended up in just because(I can't even remember why >.>) but it's a cursory glance of my area.

Yeah I'm from the TR area, I called the Toys R Us the night before to see how many Wiis they were getting in, and they said almost 100.  Target in the area had a massive flood as well, I had to do some shopping there and I asked the guy he said they were getting a lot, but not 100.

The Target salesman also informed me that Toms River/Brick area gets HUGE amount of stock of Wii, especially the Circuit City, Walmart and Best Buy.

Wow this is my first post, this forum is really cool and enjoy talking sales stats despite the fact that I study social sciences.

Its not what people say that is offensive, it is how we react to it that determines offense or not- REBT theory of Albert Ellis.

Competing in online FPS since 1999.

Currently own a supreme gaming PC playing CoD4

Currently own a Wii with Mario Party 8, Resident Evil 4, Trauma Center: New Blood, Wii play, Mario Strikers Charged, and Wii sports. Looking forward to Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Http://www.onlinebrawlcommunity.com    Online Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Series!  Feel free to sign up and chat with fellow smashers using our forums.  Casual competitions (i.e. HomeRun Contest) to come soon!

I was at both Best Buy and ToysRUs today.

The BB had plenty of ps3's and 360's. No wii's. There was a quite a few people there checking out the wii. It was pretty interesting because I watched as an extremely diverse group of people play it. Just crazy as it's attractive to people both young and old. But this isn't out of the ordinary, it was at TRU that things were a little nuts. I was there to use the buy 3 get 1 free deal (3 gifts for others, 1 gift for me - Uncharted). Apparently, so was everybody else. The crazy thing was that between the 3 people in front of me, TRU sold 7 DS's. 2 pink and 5 black, along with about 15 games sold. I was shocked that they still had DS's in stock if they're selling them at that rate.

In Poland.....Fair amount of Wii's, xbox's and a crap load of PS3's. Goes to show that my country is not much of a gaming mecca :P.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting.