By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Retail Observations

This morning I drove by Walmart, Target and Best Buy.

The most interesting was Best Buy since they seem to keep most of their stock in the front. I have never seen such a huge pile of PS3s or any console in my life. I estimated there must have been at least 150 units available. They seemed to be most 40gb models. The 360 had a similar pile, but much smaller, about 40 units with about 10 being arcades. Wii of course was nowhere to be seen. Lots of PSP in their various bundles, maybe about 40 total. DS was dwindling, only 5 left. I saw two people purchase them while I was there for about 5 minutes.

With Target and WalMart it's impossible to tell how many units they have. The display cases only allow for a max of maybe 10 boxes. There seemed to be plenty of 360s, PSPs and PS3s in the cases. There were no Wii's but surprisingly there were no DS's either.

I'm interested to hear what others have observed. I'm a little worried that DS may be in low supply and it's numbers could be down, but who knows how much restocking is occuring.

Around the Network

I saw pretty much the same thing at my Best Buy/Target this past weekend except there seemed to be plenty of DS's available and the stack of 80GB PS3's was as big as the 40GB stack (huge).

At my local GAME store in the UK, loadss of people were queueing up for DSes, it was crazy... they had a special deal on, DS + brain traning+ more Brain training+ loads of accesories... and it was such a smal store, but was rammed with customers...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I've seen a similar 200+ pile of PS3 (50/50 40Gb and 80Gb) at my local BestBuy. No pile of 360s at all but they have plenty in the shelves.

The funny thing is that 200+ PS3 pile keeps getting rearranged so they must have more in the back.

When I got in the pile was missing 10-15 from the corners and when I left it was a perfect rectangle again.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

funny I went to Walmart, Best Buy and Gamestop today-

In GS I asked him about the rain check program and then look around for about 10 minutes. They were sold out of all DSes and were getting any more in until after Christmas. Three other people asked him about the Wii in the 10 minutes I was in there. So much for the Wii explosion helping everyonr get their Wii...

Best Buy had 2 Black Dses and 5 Red ones.
One Walmart was out of DSes completely and the other had only Pink.

Around the Network

Best Buy in So-Cal had a Decent pile of the 40 Gigs in the walkway, I'd say maybe 20-25, I saw six 80 gigs on the shelf,  about 30 or so 360 Halo Editions, a wall full of the arcades, 4 or 5 elites, No wii's, a TON of DS's, hell they had a kiosk pretty much dedicated to it, oddly no PSP's, about a million PS3 controllers (wtf), another oddity, NO PS2's.

I'll say this, the PS2 has ENTIRELY TOO MANY greatest hits games >< over the hedge video game is greatest hits x.x, I had to sort through a bargain bin which had a ton of PS2 and DS games, the dedicated sections for both library's were completely thrashed.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

WII Raincheck program is tomorrow only according to the gamestop announcement..

I have noticed that there are plenty of 40GB PS3s, but I haven't seen as many 80GBs. Perhaps the 80's are selling well, or perhaps they aren't left in giant piles on the floor. As for Xbox 360, I don't think anyone wants the ugly colored goldishgreen ones as I have seen a ton of those. I have yet to see an Elite in the wild. I have seen plenty of white and pink(coral) DS handhelds, but not very many red and black ones. Like last year, Wii nunchucks are becoming rarer. Gamestop must hate its customers as they keep empty Wii boxes out in the open to give people false hope.

only like 40-50 PS3's by me as far as Best Buy goes.

They used to have a lot more lieing around unless they moved the stock somewhere else. One of the piles that was their as recently as last week was replaced with a pile of guitar hero games.

Another pile was replaced by a wii software display. Whether they sold or were moved for more profitable ventures i can't say. I'd guess they didn't sell 150 or so however. Heh, reminds me back during the PS3's first year when my friend found one at Best Buy and we were convincing him to buy it. He decided against it though because it was the 20 GB.

The way they have the Wii software is weird. They have a wii software secition like the others but they have random endcaps with Wii games on them everywhere... including some infront of the cash registers as if buying a Wii game would be treated like buying lip balm. Maybe they were cheaper games though. They appeared to be some of the earlier games that were around during launch. The endcaps seemed more partyish as well aside from the giant mario galaxy display. It was right next to "Buzz Megaquiz."

Why is Best Buy keeping so many PS3s in stock?