By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect 'Nothing But Exciting' From Now On, Promises Microsoft

CVG

Kinect's Christmas sales success has seen developer interest in the motion sensing peripheral 'spike'.

That's according to the senior producer of Microsoft's interactive entertainment business, Kevin Unangst, who promised CVG in a recent interview that the Xbox motion camera is "going to be nothing but exciting from now on".

Microsoft said in January that it had shipped eight million Kinect units and "far surpassed" five million sold to consumers in the device's first 60 days on the market.

Unangst said: "Interest has absolutely spiked [since Christmas]. We were excited about Kinect going into the holidays when we released it but I think we even exceeded our own expectations.

"It's great to see developers coming back and saying 'wow, this is a serious platform' - the numbers speak for themselves. We're selling consoles faster than we ever have. We're selling Kinect in massive numbers... So it creates an opportunity for [developers].

"So yes, developer interest is more and more than it ever has been," he said.

The exec suggested that Microsoft hopes to see more big name developers tempted towards Kinect development following its stellar launch performance - but he wouldn't comment on who he'd like to see sign up.

"There are folks that I would love to speculate on but if I do it's going to indirectly create some news," he said. 

"I'm thrilled with the people we have working on it, I think the creative minds that we now have asking 'how do we bring Kinect in a relevant way to a core gamer?' is awesome.

"I think it's going to be nothing but exciting from now on."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/291374/news/kinect-nothing-but-exciting-from-now-on-promises-microsoft/

Around the Network

I'm probably in the minority but I'm a bit excited to see what MS and the other developers have in store for Kinect.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Someone should make a Kinect Sport Fishing game.

It's a critical time for Kinect the next 4-5 months. If there's no killer app or hardcore games released soon I believe it will be a one hit wonder (one  Holiday season and then finished).

Awaiting the arrival of imminent trolls, as is the case with most MS related threads.

On topic, of course it will be new and innovative. That's how it is, if people actually thought that the release titles for Kinect (KA, KS, DC etc) were the limit of hardware they will be sorely disappointed, it's no surprise that something exciting will be revealed eventually later on in it's life cycle, question is, will they make something that would be accepted as hardcore by the community?

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Give me my Star Wars lightsaber game and I can die happy, MS!!

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

NotStan said:

Awaiting the arrival of imminent trolls, as is the case with most threads.

fixed

I think they are still working over the hardcord kinect game thread but when they are finished I am sure they will appear here.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

I'm looking forward to the horror game Sega is working on.

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.