By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LG gets injunction against PS3 sales in Europe!?

Hm, so LG is advancing faster on the EU PS3 front that Sony is on the US LG mobiles one.

Busy year for Sony's legal department.

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:

hey, if the court rules that LG is to recieve a share of the PS3 profits until now, LG might end up paying Sony

LoL xD

Well, I guess this problem will be solved very quickly...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Won't come to anything.

Sony, Phillips and Pioneer developed blu ray so they probally have this coverered already .

Sony probally already appealing now.

Khuutra said:
Soleron said:

They'll settle. The  patents for these things are so vague that every  tech product on Earth infringes something LG owns.

http://google.com/patents/about?id=SHnOAAAAEBAJ&dq=7,701,835

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=QdbJAAAAEBAJ&dq=7,577,080

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=8mbVAAAAEBAJ&dq=7,619,961

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=5xXSAAAAEBAJ&dq=7,756,398

Let me know how vague you think these are - to the best of my knowledge, hardware patents are actually anything but vague. But I don't know anything about patents.

Well, neither do I but, just from the abstracts, no one is allowed to make an optical disc player ever again except LG.

The drawings and dense techical specification may well contradict that impression.

In one specific area I do know something about; CPU and GPU design, the patents are set up so that no one outside of the companies who already do can make a modern graphics chip or processor without having to license from Intel/AMD/Nvidia/IBM and a few others. Not even if they do it in a clean room style.

Those companies have to cross-license with each other regularly or else it would be a cold war of patent annihilation.

hehey said:
Xen said:
kowenicki said:

Of course they will settle... but how.  Will LG insist on a royalty for every PS3 sold ever, which would be retrospective, or a one off payment?

Royalties hold more profit and stability in them than a lump sum does... I say royalities.

2011 is a good year for gamers, a challenging one for Sony.

its a good year for gamers when one of the bug 3 concole sellers cant sell their console?

Anyway, since this is with the "International Trade Commission" could this happen in the United States as well?

Did you see what games are coming out this year? And how many people already own a PS3? Sure, they won't be able to buy them for 10 days, but Sony will settle The challenge to settle in the best way - is Sony's. Big deal, 10 days without being able to buy one.

@irstupid: I do not foresee any tribulations for the PS3, it can only start selling better from here on. Royalties from a strong console market are far better than a lump sum.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
irstupid said:
Xen said:
kowenicki said:

Of course they will settle... but how.  Will LG insist on a royalty for every PS3 sold ever, which would be retrospective, or a one off payment?

Royalties hold more profit and stability in them than a lump sum does... I say royalities.

2011 is a good year for gamers, a challenging one for Sony.

wrong.  they would like as huge of a lump sum as they can get.  if royalties are included that a bonus

money now is gauranteed and ALSO they can use that money to reinvest.  A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tommorrow. 

PS3 may end up selling a billion consols or selling 0 more.  they may make a trillion on royalties or 0.  but a lump sum is guaranteed and they can then reinvest it.

First thing is first, LG will collect money on ps3s already sold in Europia (My name for the EU nations)....LUMP SUM, so regardless of LG decides for the future, if the case continues in their favour....they are collecting money.  

not denying they get a lump sum no matter what.  just saying they would prefer a larger lump sum versus a lump sum royalties.

its an age old philosophy, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.   if not more

Well, they pretty much asked for it.

Annoying for anyone wanting to buy a PS3 in Europe, though.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

sony's a way bigger company than lg either this is fake or if this is true sony's gonna get them back hard!!

if we see a decline in weekly sales i will belive you

dsage01 said:

sony's a way bigger company than lg either this is fake or if this is true sony's gonna get them back hard!!

How are they going to get them back "hard"? By paying out the teeth? 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsage01 said:

sony sued first, so isn't it more like LG is hitting back hard?

lg is a great company that makes great products, also is second largest tv manufacturs in the world, and if i'm not wrong i believe lg had more profits in their division than sony this year.