By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is VGCharts accurate or not?

FishyJoe said:

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php

SteveSmith said:

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 102,963 number is only the retail disks. The game can also be downloaded. So the real number is probably around 300 000.

You sure have balls to question the accuracy of this site when you make a statement like this.

rofl

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

Hardware looks pretty good. Software I still question, particularly this time of year when the big box retailers sell so much more software in ratio to the smaller retailers which is who VGChartz has relationships. November NPD showed a good deal of descrepency. And some of those titles still havent been adjusted in December.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

What about Europe? How do VGChartz get European data?

I think you scared him off Fishy:p

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

I hate to go all Bill Clinton on you, but it depends on your definition of "accurate".

Is it good enough to sell commercially and compare directly to most professional tracking services? Not really, no.

Is it good enough to view general trends, especially considering it's available for free and is the only source anywhere for worldwide numbers? I happen to think so.

Not the most productive first post either, by the way.

Around the Network
SteveSmith said:
What about Europe? How do VGChartz get European data?

From retailer data. Just like they do everywhere else.

I have been watching this site for a while before I joined, It seems like they have been gaining more connection in retail over the last 6 months because they are getting much closer than they used to. November was great minus Call of Duty 360 and GHIII Wii and PS2

VGCharts is accurate, yes, but out-of-date.

If you want accurate and relevant numbers, you have to go to VGChartz.

SW-5120-1900-6153

the short answer is: good enough.

after typing that i realize the short answer is good enough for me not to type a longer answer, haha.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I take it as being fairly accurate, I generally round the hardware to the nearest half a million or so. Software I look at as a ballpark figure, if there is a few thousand between two games I count them as selling the same.

It's not like were in need of very precise figures although I understand why ioi wants to geet them as accurate as possible. We just need to see the general trend.