By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why all the FPS hate?

yo_john117 said:
Squilliam said:
oldschoolfool said:
Squilliam said:
twesterm said:

Meh, both in same ballpark.  :-p

Have you guys decided on the name of the genre for Star Wars: Kinect? I can't figure out what to call it!

on rails star wars kinnect slasher,I don't know help me out here Squilliam.

Cuirated Action Game = CAG.

Cuirated Motion Simulation = CuMS

Rails Action Game Experience = RAGE

any more?

I think that one is the most likely genre

The CuMS Kinect: Star Wars from Terminal Reality is most pleasant on the eye in that it authentically recreates the Star Wars experience whilst giving a hands free experience which is almost visceral enough to taste, leaving no doubt that this is a game which truly makes you truly Kinect to the experience, especially with a partner.

Tease.

Around the Network

This CuMS from Terminal Reality is such a tasteful recreation of the Star Wars experience any user will wish they could swallow it whole. Unfortunately most people don't have enough stamina to play CuMS especially in this fashion like they would with regular controller based games as most people simply do not have the endurance or stamina to last the distance in one session. Thankfully Terminal Reality anticipated this problem by giving ample opportunities to rest and recooperate between each of the hard sections.

Tease.

Boutros said:

Because they're popular.

I don't hate FPS, I hate productions that despite costs skyrocketing offer less and less to the player, with SP campaigns that get shorter and shorter, dedicated servers removed, contents removed and then sold separately as DLC or expansions. The time will eventually be mature again for leaner and nimbler outsider SW houses, able to not be forced to milk their series yearly, to offer again full-fledged games with better longevity and high replay value and blow away the most bloated in costs and marketing and emptied in actual content productions. And this applies to every genre, not only to FPS.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Popularity is a good reason and correct, but I will try and dig a little bit deeper.

A lot of players, including myself, are turned off by FPS games because of the accepted and expected behavior of the various FPS communities. These communities are full of every age range from 55 on down to 5 looking to one-up everyone else and let you know about it when they do. As a consequence of this hyper competitiveness, common human decency of treating people the way you would like to be treated is tossed out at the door.

Camping, griefing, killing at resurrection, and on are common if not expected in FPS play. Doing this raises your score or kill/death ratio nowadays. Players are rewarded for playing in a manner that is anti-competitive.

This is why I do not play FPS games in a multi-player manner for any long period of time. The constant struggle of who has the biggest e-penis gets tired real quick and takes me back to the horrid days of junior high school where everyone had low self esteem and the only way to boost your low self esteem was to pick on and bully other students.

Not my cup of tea. MMORPGS like the World of Warcraft where PvP is a part of the game instead of being the main multi-player draw is more my style.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
VXIII said:

Not BECAUSE it's popular, People think the genre doesn't deserve to be that popular ,many people want games to move thier emotions , they need a great story and characters , FPS genre doesn't have depths in it , it's might deliver the fun factor but that's it .

As for myself I tried to like the genre many times , when I start I think it fun and all but I quit after 15 minutes or so , also Physics/animations are important to know the character better therefore they are important factor in the story telling , for example FF has always been about stylish movements which make us think that the character is cool ( or emo for some ) , in general FPS genre can't deliver what I want to see in my games , but I can totally understand  why some people like it.

But that's not true.

Games like DEUS EX and Half-Life 2 had some of the best storytelling in a video game.

Fixed. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Ninpanda said:

As some of you may know, the FPS is my favorite genre. I've been playing them since the doom and GoldenEye days. Now, what I don't understand is why some feel the need to bash the genre.

I understand if you don't like the genre, but why do some feel the need to bash and complain about it. You have the complaint that the FPS hasn't really evolved that much. Well, you can make that argument about any type of game.

You could say that racers and sports games really haven't evolved that much. Drive around a course for a certain amount of time until you get to the finish line---that's basically what all racer's are about. You could say that EA sports games are basically the same every year, except with slightly better graphics. You could say RPG's might have slightly different stories, but you still have to level up and get better stuff in all of them.

So if FPS's haven't evolved that much, how would change it? It's basically point and shoot, from the first perspective, so I don't think you could evolved that game mechanic 2 much. In my opinion I think the graphics and weapons have evolved quite nicely in the Fps genre. Go ahead play and compare for yourself. I also like battlefield bad company for it's vehicles. I don't remember ever been able to drive and shoot from all of those vehicles from back in the day.

I also like the fact that they added jetpacks and more interesting melee kills in some games. I also like the drones and turrets in the Killzone series. So I think that the FPS genre has evolved just as much as any other genre in gaming and saying it hasn't is just laughable to me. So, I ask again why all the FPS hate?

There. Replace the text in the OP with that, and people will actually try reading it.

And I'm pretty sure, that EA Sports games get even more hate than FPS's.

Thank you :).

JWS said:
Mummelmann said:
oniyide said:

^^^^ as a guy who was actully in the military and was deployed I can tell you there is nothing realistic about any of those games. If I got shot i wasnt going to crouch down for a few seconds and automatically be alright.

Yeah, I don't get where people have gotten the idea that modern FPS games are realistic. They're really not, they're poor simulations of reality, much like an action packed and somewhat silly Hollywood movie (at best). The only FPS I've played that comes somewhat close to reality is SWAT 4 but it still has a ways to go.

Call of Duty games are about as realistic as Mario Kart. Doesn't stop the older ones from being great fun though!

Somebody hit my chevy with a green shell last week. My car will be in the shop for about a week :(

Well at least it wasn't the blue shell.  I had to buy a whole new car cause it was blown up :(.

Anyone ever play the game Tribes?  That game was far ahead of its time.  One can say that game added a shitload to gameplay experience for FPS.  First multiplayer FPS to add vehicles (to my knowledge), had a jetpack for everyone (borrowed from Duke Nukem but was a basic item for everyone, added ariel combat like crazy to mix).  To my recollection it was the first FPS to have massive MP games (15 - 30 people per match or somewhere around there).  I was rocking my ISDN when almost everyone else had dial up; I was king of FPS MP due to reduced lag and superior playing skills.

yo_john117 said:
oniyide said:

^^^^ as a guy who was actully in the military and was deployed I can tell you there is nothing realistic about any of those games. If I got shot i wasnt going to crouch down for a few seconds and automatically be alright.

Yeah and you don't get to call in a nuke after getting 25 kills on the battlefield

A post full of win

Ah shit imagein that stuff happening... THe world wouldn't exist at all.