By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why all the FPS hate?

oldschoolfool said:
twesterm said:
oldschoolfool said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:

Because they're popular.

So,it's just the hate on something that's popular thing?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=125207

notice I said over-rated and never said hated. I know you thought you were being clever,but that's not really what I was doing and you can't really compare the 2.

Meh, both in same ballpark.  :-p

Around the Network
twesterm said:
oldschoolfool said:
twesterm said:
oldschoolfool said:
Xen said:
Boutros said:

Because they're popular.

So,it's just the hate on something that's popular thing?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=125207

notice I said over-rated and never said hated. I know you thought you were being clever,but that's not really what I was doing and you can't really compare the 2.

not really,but I'm not going to get into an argument about sematics,as I like you to much to bore you to death. 

If people are complaining that FPS is too narrow, I would only agree with them to an extent because it's not a fair genre to hate on.  FPS is a specific genre of the overarching genre of "Shooters."  Star fox is a flying 3rd person shooter but in many ways uses more of the FPS genre than do some of the experimental titles thrown around like Metroid Prime or Portal.

Shooters include everything from the arcade rail shooters to 2d shoot em ups to the simple shooters of the original Doom and Quake.

I'm on the side of FPS being narrow and stale as it's been exhausted to the extreme these past 2 gens.  But at the same time, you can't say 2d shoot em ups are stale since it's unfair to say a very specific genre is narrow - that's the whole point of a specific genre.

Am I wrong in saying that "Shooters" is a more accurate genre term than FPS alone?

Maybe because, I don't know, of the 3000 games released this Gen 90% of them are shooters? They all have no stories or have terrible stories and are built for online, they have crazy high DLC and need to be patched like a son of a bitch? Nope I don't see any reason why people hate FPS.

AOvechkin08 said:

Maybe because, I don't know, of the 3000 games released this Gen 90% of them are shooters? They all have no stories or have terrible stories and are built for online, they have crazy high DLC and need to be patched like a son of a bitch? Nope I don't see any reason why people hate FPS.

LIke I said in a previous post,people vote with there wallets. The fact that you say they have no stories tells me that you haven't really played that many FPS's to begin with. Like no other genre has crazy high DLC and not all FPS's need to be patched like a son of a bitch. I think your just grasping at straws. 

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Have you guys decided on the name of the genre for Star Wars: Kinect? I can't figure out what to call it!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
twesterm said:

Have you guys decided on the name of the genre for Star Wars: Kinect? I can't figure out what to call it!

on rails star wars kinnect slasher,I don't know help me out here Squilliam.

oldschoolfool said:
Squilliam said:
twesterm said:

Cuirated Action Game = CAG.

Cuirated Motion Simulation = CuMS

Rails Action Game Experience = RAGE

any more?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
oldschoolfool said:
Squilliam said:
twesterm said:

any more?

I think that one is the most likely genre

yo_john117 said:
Squilliam said:
oldschoolfool said:
Squilliam said:
twesterm said:

any more?

I think that one is the most likely genre

I like that genre. hehehehehe.